Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College student in need of snack ideas

Hi everybody,
    I'm trying to come up with some snack ideas outside of the usual nuts/jerky/dried fruit. I'm a poor college student without a fridge, but I'm looking for something a little different. Does anyone have any ideas for stuff I can get from Whole Foods or something and eat without a ton of preparation? Thanks very much!

Without a fridge? Come now, small refrigerators aren't that expensive these days. Perhaps you and a roommate(s) could put in on one?

If even that's out of your range, you have a plethora of coconut treats: coconut chips/flakes are a favorite of mine to use as a snack, and things like coconut cream concentrate (how to get it: Tropical Traditions website -- these guys have great deals on their products). You also have a wide array of dark chocolates. There's also the option of buying canned goods (tuna, etc.) if you really feel like going that route, but you'd need to mix it with something in most cases to make it palatable.

Outside those and the items you already posted (nuts/jerky/fruit), I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Having a means to keep foods cool is a great help though (veggies, hard-boiled eggs, cheeses if you can handle dairy, berries and some other fruits), so try to see if you can find a way to get a small fridge if possible. The little mini-fridges usually can be found fairly cheaply.

(And trust me I know how you feel about being the poor college student. I am one.)
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

Actually its not that I can't afford it. Unfortunately, such is the nature of my dorm that I can't get a fridge. It's crazy, I know...

Comment

IF is the best snack. Perhaps you could mkae some coconut flour baked goods or something? Fruit. I don't snack, there's not enough time. I'm in highschool with ap classes and 4-5 hours of tennis a day. Coconut milk or heavy cream would be delicious. don't know if you need the calories though.

sorry that was a big jumble haha.

Comment

Avocados are nice and portable, you've just gotta keep a spoon or something handy. (And I guess you'd have to eat the whole thing at once, since you can refrigerate it.)

Comment

Sardines right out of the tin.
            Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto

Comment

Dark chocolate covered ginger. I have gotten it at Whole Foods and other groceries in the bulk section.

Comment

What about a camping cooler? If you kept putting ice in, you could treat it like a mini fridge.
                The more I see the less I know for sure.
                -John Lennon

Comment

I second the sardines in a tin! Get the kind in olive oil, toss in half an avocado and some of those nuts you're tired of...AMAZING.
                  Otherwise suck on coconut oil?

Comment

Oh and I usually put things on the window sill since it gets really cold at night as a lazy means of refrigeration.

Comment

Originally posted by Enamel View Post
                      Avocados are nice and portable, you've just gotta keep a spoon or something handy. (And I guess you'd have to eat the whole thing at once, since you can refrigerate it.)
                      Awe....shucks! I love 1/2 an avocado with a spoonful of salsa in the middle.

Comment

When I first went PB, I worried about what I could snack on, so I stocked up on nuts and veggie chips. But after getting into the swing of things, I hardly ever need a snack. So my question to you is: Are you getting enough fat in your meals? Make sure you're eating enough at mealtime, which I imagine in college can be somewhat difficult. Also make sure you're not finishing meals up all the time with fruit or other sweets. It can send your insulin up, even just a little, and make you think you're hungry.

As for those rare times I do need something? I carry around a baggie full of macadamia nuts and coconut chips, very tasty together. (I know you asked for something besides nuts, but there it is!)
                        The Paleo Periodical
                        It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by RexBear View Post
                          Dark chocolate covered ginger. I have gotten it at Whole Foods and other groceries in the bulk section.
                          whoa that sounds tasty, gonna look for that next time i'm there!

Comment

I just discovered the best snack/dessert/breakfast ever, which is: pour some frozen blueberries (preferably wild organic ones; they're pretty cheap at Trader Joe's) into a teacup or small bowl, pour heavy whipping cream (preferably raw/organic, I'm sure, but I just had the normal kind from TJ's) in until it reaches the same level as the berries. Stir it around for about a minute (eating while you go, if necessary). The cream will turn purple and thicken as the blueberries defrost a bit--it tastes like half-melted ice cream, but better.

Granted, this only works if you're into both fruit and dairy, but from what I understand, blueberries and heavy cream are on the more favorable end of each respective category. Coconut milk would probably also be good, but there's just something about real cream...

Comment

I also just realized that you said you don't have a fridge, which would make frozen things difficult... unless you go the ice box method!

Comment

Working...
                              X