No announcement yet.

College student in need of snack ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

poor college students don't shop at whole foods.

Comment

The ghetto hotdog

Originally posted by mpanter View Post
      Hi everybody,
      I'm trying to come up with some snack ideas outside of the usual nuts/jerky/dried fruit. I'm a poor college student without a fridge, but I'm looking for something a little different. Does anyone have any ideas for stuff I can get from Whole Foods or something and eat without a ton of preparation? Thanks very much!
      Here is an easy idea for a recipe that can easily be mad in a dorm room: The Ghetto Hot Dog | College Food | Fiesta Frog Blog | House Party , Night Life and College News

Comment

you could get some kalamata olives and put them in olive oil and they will be stable at room temp and yummy Also, I like those seaweed snacks that health food stores have, particularly the wasabi flavored ones

Comment

Lots of great ideas here - my little contribution is that there are some shelf stable anchovies (Omega 3s and salty goodness!) available. Be careful - not all are shelf stable...
          Kevin

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
          William James
          US Pragmatist philosopher & psychologist (1842 – 1910)

Comment

I know your pain all too well! I lived in a dorm where fridges weren't allowed back in the day, and it pretty much sucked. Though I wasn't primal back then (1992 -- yikes, I'm old!), my go-to snack actually was, now that I think about it. A can of tuna, mixed with a little EVOO and red wine vinegar. Now that we know cans may not be the best way to store our food, you can always get those tuna pouches to keep on hand.
            Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Comment

Microwaved sweet potato + butter & cinnamon

Hard boiled eggs spread with pesto, hummus, baba ghanouj, or guac
              “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

If you're OK not refrigerating almond butter , I think some of these might work well for you:

Ants On A Log | Paleo Plan
                Bananas with Almond Butter and Coconut | Paleo Plan
                Berries with Balsamic Vinegar and Almonds | Paleo Plan
                Paleo Trail Mix | Paleo Plan
                PB&J Paleo Style | Paleo Plan
                my blog

Comment

Forgot packaged pork rinds. Simple is the only option here ingredient list should be one thing (pork - very hard to find) or two things (pork and salt - less hard to find). MSG and some other "stuff" finds it way into many brands and types...
                  Kevin

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
                  William James
                  US Pragmatist philosopher & psychologist (1842 – 1910)

Comment

I'm really into canned tuna with apple cider vinegar (get the kind with the mother; it's awesome). Also, they make squeezable baby food packets that sound pretty good! Weird, but at least they're vegetables. I sometimes (often) also just eat salsa straight out of the jar. Check out Tanka bars on Amazon as well. Those Sea Snax things are really good, too.

I just admitted that I eat salsa straight from the jar in mass quantities . . . can you tell I'm in college?

Comment

Working...
                    X