Cucumbers from the garden

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cucumbers from the garden

Are cucumbers primal? I have gallons of them. Any ideas I have only ate them raw.

The garden is running over with them!

I don't know a reason to say no to cucumbers. I have never had a cooked one. I like them as a "fresh pickle" just sliced cucs with red wine vinegar. You can make them 100 different ways, add any spice you like; garlic, onion, herbs it's hard to go wrong. As far as traditional pickles go, my favorite were always bread and butter pickles, but the tend to be pretty sweet. I'm sure you could leave the sugar out and just do an onion and cuc pickle, that has to be good. I've not done pickles in awhile --- no particular reason.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

I have never done pickles, not to say I wouldn't give it a try. I searched MDA for cucumbers but it's kinda all mixed around. I didn't see anything about cooking with them. I should google it.

Comment

Low carb, satiating. One of my faves.

Comment

You can make cucumber juice, puree it in a blender with some ice cubes, very refreshing. Add salt & pepper to taste. You can make lacto-fermented cucumber pickles. One of my favorite salads is chopped cucumber, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilanto, S&P all mixed together topped w/ grated coconut.

Comment

Oooh, maba -- that cucumber salad sounds delicious. Must try that. Thanks!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

maba, I'm interested in making lacto-fermented cucumber pickles. I have quite a bit of whey left over from making cheese. Do you have any recipes?

Comment

So i did some searching to see if people cook cucumbers and I guess they do.

Sear on high heat and cream or olive oil. Another way is to 'bread' them and fry.

What would I use for the 'breaded' part?

I did see that cucumbers are good with fish. Yay because I have gallons of them.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

Add* cream or olive oil

Comment

CC69, check out the recipe in the following link. There are some other lacto-fermented recipes too. I made cordito and beet kvass yesterday.

http://www.nourishingdays.com/?p=1883

How do you make cheese? I have a bottle of milk that has been sitting on the counter for close to 2 weeks. It's separated into curds and whey.

Comment

try them with tomatoes, onions, fresh basil and Italian dressing. Or try them with thinly sliced sweet onions and white vinegar. My favorite way is sliced and eaten with a slice of baby swiss cheese. You have to try it, a lightly oaked Chardonnay pairs well.

Comment

Num, swiss cheese & cucumber, I'll have to try that.

I never have used coconut oil or cream. I'll have to pick some up and try it cooked with that. I'm new to this way of eating but the more I read & search it make sense.

Comment

maba, thanks.

I was making mine with Kefir but I think your stuff will wark to. Dump it into a strainer lined with flour sack and hang the sack up somewhere so the curd stuff can drain. After about 24 hours, put a little bit of salt in it (about 1/2 tsp per quart of original curd stuff) and drain it again for 24 hrs. If it seems pretty soft yet, you can add another 1/2 tsp of salt and repeat the process. Now, the original recipe tells you have to put your cheese into a 7% salt/water solution to make feta, but mine just crumbled so I do it without water now. Tastes very good.

Comment

I had a cucumber and tomato salad with lunch with 2t EVOO, 1t balsamic, and a little dried dill weed. YUM

Comment

Thanks CC69, I'll try draining it.

Comment

Working...
                              X