Grain-free Primal Flax Bread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain-free Primal Flax Bread

This might have been posted before, but just in case...this has become our absolute favorite bread substitute. It's the closest I've come to a true bread texture with no grains whatsoever. And, it's really easy to make.

Taken from here:

http://bearmedicineherbals.com/?p=394

I've modified the recipe slighty to substitute water with raw cream...makes the bread a little thicker & creamier which I like. You could also use raw milk or coconut milk.

2/3 C flax meal

1/3 C almond meal

1.5 tsp Baking Powder

3 tsp unrefined coconut oil

2 eggs

raw cream to texture desired (thick, just able to flow)

Salt to taste

Mix dry ingredients together well. Gently beat eggs together before adding (optional, but it blends better that way). Add coconut oil & cream.

The recipe will work for a regular sized pie tin or small loaf pan. Double the recipe for a more normal sized bread loaf pan.Donít forget to oil the pan well before pouring the batter in.

Cook at ~375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Toothpick or butter knife should could out clean if you insert it into the center of the bread. Enjoy fresh out of the oven or at room temperature for a nice sandwich.

yep I think I remember seeing that one, but thanks for the reminder I wanted to try it this weekend! will double and make a big loaf xoxo Darlene

Comment

I've just commented on a similar recipe that only uses flax meal and not almond flour. When I made it, it was very, very heavy and moist, and it had a somewhat slimy texture to it.

How does this one taste?

Comment

chocolatechip6 - honestly this one is REALLY nice. It's the closest I've come to "real" bread (both in texture and flavor). It's slightly more crumbly than real bread, but I'm still able to use it open-face style (so, for example with cheese or liver-pate spread ontop...sometimes in AM w/ goat-cheese ontop). Taste-wise it's excellent. The mix of flax & almond seems to make all the difference.

Comment

I'll take your word for it and try it tonight Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Comment

Let me know how it turns out!!

Comment

I should also mention that the amount of water/cream you add to the mixture does make a difference. The original recipe calls for enough water "to texture desired". If the mixture is too soft it can't cook through (or hold well enough). I've never figured out how much cream I actually add, but I make sure the mixture is "just" able to flow...no more. So, go for minimal water/cream needed to get things fluid enough to pour the batter.

Comment

Um, flax is a seed, hence a grain.

And like most, if not all, seeds, its primary oil is polyunsaturated, not a good thing. http://tinyurl.com/pzgoq2

The Omega 3 benefit is the hard-for-us-to-use ALA kind.

And then there's the carbs, if one is trying to minimize.

Jus' saying, ya know?

Comment

Not that I really want to argue this, but flax is not a grain...technically....a grain being a fruit (usually with a single seed inside) produced from crops of grasses (the genus Poaceae). Flax is not in the grass family (it's in the Linum family, which is a family of flowering plants). Also, in flax the seeds are produced in bolls (each with about 6 seed in them).

Now...all this aside, this is just a nice, bread alternative for those looking for a grain-free bread.

For those looking for nutritional break-out 1/8 of the whole bread recipe contains about 103 cal, 8g fat, 5g protein, 1g NET carbs (technically 4g carb and 3g fiber). Pretty low-carb to me

Comment

OTB, are you saying all seeds are grains?

Comment

Not all grains are monocots. Buckwheat comes to mind, and there's quinoa. I don't think corn is in the grass family, but it sure is a grain.

More important than the taxonomy is the similar characteristics of all of them: High in PUFA's, high in carbohydrates.

Other than avoiding gluten - which is probably a very good thing generally - making bread with flax meal is pretty similar to doing so with a gluten free flour product.

I'm not saying don't make it or enjoy it, this isn't supposed to be religion here. But I'm a stickler for accuracy.

Comment

Well, buckwheat isn't a grain either, if you're trying to be technical.

When searching for the less of the evil to substitute in recipes for quick bread and such, I think flex, buckwheat, and quinoa are pretty good options. Some recipes are difficult to make with coconut or almond flour alone.

By the way, a little bit of buckwheat in combination with coconut flour makes great bread dough.

Comment

CC, buckwheat IS a grain. It's a plant seed that quacks like a duck and looks like a duck. It may not be from the monocots, but it's a plant seed with about the same amounts of PUFA's and starch as what you are thinking of as "real" grains, wheat, oats, barley, etc.

I just remembered, hemp is another non-grain grain. Same lipid and carb profile as the grains.

So, there is nothing to be gained from subbing flax or buckwheat or quinoa in regards PUFA's and starches. Maybe there is some benefit like reduced lectins, but I have no idea.

Comment

so can we have flax seed or not?

I read that flax is a flower xoxo Darlene

Comment

PG,

Can't tell you what to do, but I wouldn't.....

Comment

Working...
                              X