more satisfying eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more satisfying eggs

I know I've seen others on this list who agree that for whatever reason, hard boiled eggs are really filling, but scrambled and fried eggs are less so. A couple weeks ago I started eating soft boiled eggs. It used to be my favorite way to eat them (on top of buttered toast) but I stopped fixing them when toast and I parted ways. But now I find that they're a really good combination for me. They're soft and served hot, but they fill me up just as much as the hard boiled eggs. Just thought I'd pass it along!
    junebu8's journ@l

Soft boiled eggs are heavenly! I find that if I fry eggs over-easy, but break the yolk in the pan and let it cook until it's not liquid anymore makes them surprisingly more filling than when I don't cook the yolks.

Comment

I found that once I started cooking scrambled eggs correctly (i.e. cooked very slowly over low, low heat, lots of butter) they were much more filling than the dry, fast-cooked eggs.

Comment

I personally don't care for the eggs and butter combination, but agree with cooking slowly on low heat. I like a little olive oil, some Cavender's Greek seasoning, and chopped asparagus or spinach. Serve with fresh diced tomato and avocado on the side.

I also agree that boiled eggs are best left soft.

Comment

They're one of my favorites also. It's been a while since I had them. Thank you for the reminder!

Comment

I find that scrambled eggs are more satisfying if I add grass fed beef to them... kind of like corned beef hash... only, minus the corn, and hash.

Bacon. Also.

Comment

I've never had a soft boiled egg, but I do LOVE me some poached eggs! You can poach them in bone broth, and eat them in a bowl with the broth and other seasonings. The texture is like velvet. AND, you can store them in the fridge, floating in water! Heat them up in simmering liquid later, or serve cold over salad greens.

I did poached eggs according to Julia Child, and they turned out beautifully. The trick is to put the whole egg (in the shell) in boiling water for a count of ten seconds. Reduce the liquid to simmer, and gently crack in the eggs. The blanch in-shell ensures the poached eggs will have a nice oval shape.

Comment

Oh that trick for poached eggs (also a fave of mine) sounds really awesome. I'm going to try it tomorrow. It's weird that I've never heard it before because I use her other tips for eggs all the time
                junebu8's journ@l

Comment

I made Sauce Bearnaise for some steaks last Friday. Since then, I've been stirring in a tablespoon or so of the leftover sauce into scrambled eggs, adding a nice tarragon and shallot flavor to the eggs. Even the white vinegar in the sauce seems to brighten the eggs a bit.

Comment

Does anyone know if poaching eggs reduces the nutritional value, the way that boiling other foods does? I've been loving me some poached eggs lately (I like the thick, sturdy whites with a bit of "tooth" to them, unlike equally delicious but definitely different thin, crispy-edged fried eggs), but would hate to learn that I'm leeching all the good stuff out into the water.
                    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
                    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Comment

I love soft boiled eggs but most mornings can't be bothered. I usually fry them in a bit of bacon grease.
                      Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

I've not heard of poaching eggs leaching nutrients into the water. If you're concerned, you could poach them in broth and drink it. I have heard that undercooking the white doesn't fully deactivate the avidin. Avidin binds to biotin (B7 which the yolk in rich in). So as long as your whites are pretty well done, you should be fine.

Just refreshed my memory via wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avidin

See the last section about inactivation of biotin binding. Apparently poaching isn't very effective at deactivating avidin. As much as I love a poached egg, I would hesitate to eat them on a very regular basis based on this info. They are fine in moderation, but frying or medium-boiled seem like they would be better options. Alternatively, you could just cook the whites and yolks separately.
                        Last edited by yodiewan; 04-26-2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                          I've not heard of poaching eggs leaching nutrients into the water. If you're concerned, you could poach them in broth and drink it. I have heard that undercooking the white doesn't fully deactivate the avidin. Avidin binds to biotin (B7 which the yolk in rich in). So as long as your whites are pretty well done, you should be fine.
                          I poached a couple eggs in lamb bone broth last night: amazing!
                          Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                            Apparently poaching isn't very effective at deactivating avidin. As much as I love a poached egg, I would hesitate to eat them on a very regular basis based on this info.
                            =(

PS: duck eggs poached in lamb bone broth??? I shall make this happen. Oh, yes. It will be mine.
                            “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
                            - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Comment

Originally posted by mixie View Post
                              =(

PS: duck eggs poached in lamb bone broth??? I shall make this happen. Oh, yes. It will be mine.
                              Ooo, duck eggs...hmmm.
                              Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Working...
                              X