Coconut Products

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Products

There are so many different products. It can get confusing, but I found this Glossary.

http://www.waitrose.com/food/cookingandrecipes/cookinglibraries/glossary/glossary.aspx?type=0&id=104

enjoy

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Unfortunately, while the list makes perfect sense, it is out of sync with the marketplace. That Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream should be called Creamed Coconut per this list.

"And so it goes." Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

and it doesn't seem to have coconut oil or coconut butter...

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

oh! there you go again, what the heck is coconut butter? is it different from coconut oil?

OTB, I think you are correct. Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream Concentrate is the same as creamed coconut.

Comment

http://www.autismcoach.com/coconut_butter.htm

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
          Current weight: 199
          Goal: 145

Comment

so it is the same as oil.

Comment

My oil in the cupboard is liquid in the summertime, solid in the winter.

So why isn't lard "pig oil" when it gets warmed up?

Comment

I would imagine that it is. Just no one wants to call it that? LOL.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                Current weight: 199
                Goal: 145

Comment

I have read that coconut oil and coconut butter are the same, but then there's a company that sells them both... oil and butter... so maybe they're different?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

http://livesuperfoods.com/coconut/PRE001.html *is confused*

Comment

Coconut butter is thicker, like a nut butter made from coconuts. My VCO gets soft and liquidy in the summer (right now), but my coconut butter is still thick.

Comment

Piper, it's been hydrogenated!!!! Jus' kidding......

But coconut oil melts at 76 degrees F no matter what a vendor calls it. Seriously, w/o hydrogenation, it can't stay thick. If your "butter" is what we are seeing here as "creamed coconut" I guess it's possible because CC also includes the "meat." It would not melt, ever, and like flour in gravy, probably emulsify it, in effect.

Just my hunches......

Comment

http://www.codexalimentarius.net/download/standards/10401/CXS_240e.pdf

I just posted this in another thread --- seems to be an attempt to standardize the product naming.

warning: it is inconsistent with the naming from the other link I posted.

Is it clear yet?

Comment

Clear as organic coconut cream....wait, is it milk?

Check out section 8.1.2 for further muddying.

Comment

Coconut Butter is not the same as oil. I have a can at home and it has quite a bit of coconut meat in it. I can actually eat that stuff with a spoon out of a jar whereas I can not eat the regular coconut oil if it's plain.

Comment

Working...
                              X