Grok Thickening Agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grok Thickening Agent

What's a grok to do when he wants to thicken his stew (or anything for that matter)?

Thoughts?

I grok, therefore I am.

Coconut flour?

Comment

No... coconut flour would be disgusting. Trust me I have tried it. I say simmer it down. All the things I know of have tons of carbohydrats, though arrowroot comes from a tuber instead of a grain and would work.

Comment

We went over this about a month or so ago.

Some good suggestions in the thread.

I mostly now use Xanthan gum. Works well for gravies, coconut milk milk, BBQ sauces. The result is more gelatinous than a starch type of thickener, but it works.

No carbs.

Comment

This might help:

http://tinyurl.com/lz4ynk

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
          "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

I've also tried the coconut flour. Seems like it should work, but trust me, it doesn't work.

Comment

Arrowroot is definitely my fave. Keep it in the freezer or fridge for freshness.

Comment

Coconut flour doesn't work so much because it doesn't have starch (or polysaccharides, what gums have.)

Arrow root is a starch. So, if one is trying to avoid carbs, a no go. Like corn starch, no need to refrigerate, either.

Comment

Also, my friend Sofia takes some (or all, if you have little kids you're trying to sneak veggies past) of the veggies after they have softened, and purees them. Then add those back in. I did this last week with chicken veggie soup and it thickened it up nicely.

Comment

I was shooting for avoiding carbs. So yeah, arrowroot is a no go for me.

I've also heard of the puree trick...seems to make sense while avoiding the starch at the same time.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

For my money, puree is the way to go. I did a BBQ sauce with banana recently (apparently banana catsup is a popular condiment around the world) , not a carb free alternative but for BBQ sauce the sweetness was good. Lower carb veggies would work well in a stew. I'm not a big fan of the chemical thickeners, even though I know they are relatively natural and harmless. I feel that a whole food alternative is just more natural.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-thickener/

Comment

Thanks for the lazy link Mark!

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Working...
                            X