Chicken with Leek Sauce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken with Leek Sauce

This is my entry for Erica's primal recipe contest.

Chicken with Leek Sauce

Ingredients

3-4 lbs boneless chicken breasts
    3 large leeks
    4 Tablespoons butter
    1 lime
    2 cups chicken stock
    2 cups heavy whipping cream
    2 Tablespoons lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

Directions

Coarsely chop the white and pale green portions of the leeks. Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Grate the skin of the lime into the skillet. Place chopped leeks in the skillet and stir. Cover leeks and cook until they are soft but not brown (about 20 minutes), turning occasionally. Remove leeks from skillet and set aside in a bowl.

Now in the same skillet, over medium heat, melt 2 more Tablespoons butter and brown the chicken breasts lightly on both sides. Add 2 cups of chicken stock to the skillet and heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook the chicken this way for 10-15 minutes, until just done in the middle.

Remove the chicken from the skillet, taking care to leave the chicken stock in the skillet. Place the chicken in a warm oven.

To create the sauce from the chicken stock, stir in 2 cups heavy whipping cream, 2 Tablespoons of lime juice, the leeks, and 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum. Heat to a gentle boil, reducing the volume over 10 minutes by about a third, stirring occasionally.

Serve sauce over chicken breasts. Garnish with sliced lime. Serves 4-6 adults. Enjoy!

Printable Recipe Image

Last edited by Joe; 12-05-2010, 11:05 AM.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Love chicken and leeks - thanks Joe!

Any alternatives to for xanthan gum if I don't have any on hand? Is a thickener necessary?
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

I make a very similar recipe, just using dover sole instead of chicken. You roll the sole up and microwave it for 3 minutes, so it's an incredibly quick meal to make.
      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I learned how to use xanthan gum from Erica's blog, and it rocks! It was $10 at Whole Foods for a small bag. It takes very little to thicken liquids. Like start with 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon if you are just experimenting with it. A small bag should last several years.

@Sigi - If you don't have any xanthan gum, you could use flour, but of course I have avoided that. Or you could just boil it down a bit more to thicken it. It tastes great with or without the xanthan gum. I prefer it more creamy from a tactile sense. The xanthan gum is flavorless and does not change the taste.

@liz - interesting variation. Aren't leeks the best?
        Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Comment

I'll be trying this Joe! Thanks for sharing.

When I want a thicker sauce, sometimes I just take a portion of the veggies and broth and puree them, then add back to the dish. That may be an option if you don't have or want to use the xanthan gum.
          www.chowstalker.com We don't do cupcakes.
          www.desserrtstalker.com We still don't do cupcakes.
          http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
          X