Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever tried these noodles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone ever tried these noodles?

    http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/produ...plings-9-86-oz

    http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/produ...m-noodles-7-oz

    The ingredients on these things are about as primal as it gets... I'm very tempted to give them a try. I know they are not a pasta replacement, but anything to help me get meaty sauce to my mouth that's not spaghetti squash or zucchini (OH GOD IM SICK OF BOTH OF THESE) is something I'm interested in.

    Any reason to not give this a go?

    edit: before a lazy bones comes in here and replies: these are not the tofu noodles, they are made of yam flour and seaweed.

  • #2
    I don't see why not.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yep, I've had 'em.

      Here's the thing: they have a very different texture from regular pasta. They are kind of...slimy. They also have an, ahem, "authentic" smell to them (reduced somewhat by rinsing). So you need to use them in applications where you cover up the taste and texture.

      For example, they are GREAT in Pho, being in a soup covers up the texture and you can't notice the smell since there's already a bunch of fish sauce in the soup. I also successfully made kugel with them (the fettucine version, cut into lengths) thought I haven't perfected the recipe quite yet. I will put it on my blog when I get it right. I would do them in a lo mein type dish, that would be worth trying. They were decent with a white clam sauce, but otherwise...ick, do NOT eat them with tomato sauce or something. I much prefer zucchini noodles: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/he...ipehealth.html
      My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
      My primal success story

      "Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks Erica, this post helped me out a lot... I will try an asian inspired soup with them first then. Maybe a simple scallop soup or something.

        Comment


        • #5
          Last night we put spaghetti sauce on yams cooked in bacon fat and it was awesome. I would like to find these noodles to try them though, I am always open to more options of things to eat.
          My blog - About me, my family, and my hobbies!

          *Please ignore my horrible typing and grammar I am usually typing it all on my very uncooperative phone*

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Fern View Post
            Last night we put spaghetti sauce on yams cooked in bacon fat and it was awesome. I would like to find these noodles to try them though, I am always open to more options of things to eat.
            HOLY CRAP THAT sounds amazing.... u have a recipe for the sauce?
            Get on my Level
            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
              http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/produ...plings-9-86-oz

              http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/produ...m-noodles-7-oz

              The ingredients on these things are about as primal as it gets... I'm very tempted to give them a try. I know they are not a pasta replacement, but anything to help me get meaty sauce to my mouth that's not spaghetti squash or zucchini (OH GOD IM SICK OF BOTH OF THESE) is something I'm interested in.

              Any reason to not give this a go?

              edit: before a lazy bones comes in here and replies: these are not the tofu noodles, they are made of yam flour and seaweed.
              ive had them once... hehmmm.....they immediately exited my body via diarrhea shortly thereafter....be careful
              Get on my Level
              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                I've had them once. I felt like I was chewing rubber bands.

                If you're tired of squash or zucchini why not try cabbage or broccoli slaw.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                  HOLY CRAP THAT sounds amazing.... u have a recipe for the sauce?
                  No we just used 1 lb of hot itallian sausage, a big can of tomato sauce and some spices like dehydrated onion flakes, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and season salt. I had forgot to take out something for dinner and my husband came up with this and it was so good, I figure I should forget about dinner more often so he can cook.
                  My blog - About me, my family, and my hobbies!

                  *Please ignore my horrible typing and grammar I am usually typing it all on my very uncooperative phone*

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think kelp noodles are much better as a pasta substitute. Try these:

                    http://www.kelpnoodles.com/products_...e_noodles.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've always wanted to try those kelp noodles but haven't felt like buying an entire case to try them. Whats up with the '37 carb' typo (or so i assume!)?
                      Little Saiyan

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If anyone has a Whole Foods market nearby, they sell the kelp noodles near the shirataki tofu noodles.

                        I liked them very much, rinsed thoroughly and used with coconut oil/butter and parmesan.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I wasn't too thrilled with the shirataki noodles -- defintely very fishy/slimy, despite endless rinsing. Maybe they'd be OK with a really heavy or fragrant sauce/soup, but I was hoping for something to eat with chicken broth... definite No, for me anyway.
                          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Seagal View Post
                            If anyone has a Whole Foods market nearby, they sell the kelp noodles near the shirataki tofu noodles.

                            I liked them very much, rinsed thoroughly and used with coconut oil/butter and parmesan.
                            That is store specific. I know the ones in my area (perhaps the whole region) don't carry them. Haha-- oh wait a joke-- the 'Whole' region.

                            -写
                            Little Saiyan

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I used to eat them when I was eating CW because they are basically zero calories. I always cooked them in boiling water for a couple minutes after a quick rinse in the colander and that took away the smell for me.

                              I did not like them with a tomato sauce, but I did really like them with an asian peanut sauce - yum. I used crunchy peanut butter, soy sauce, ginger, lime juice, cilantro -- the sauce could be primalized with almond butter and tamari, but I don't think then noodles themselves are considered primal per se (I read that somewhere - I'm not sure of the reason why).
                              My journal

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X