Home made coconut milk "beverage"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made coconut milk "beverage"

A couple of weeks ago I posted my generally favorable experience with So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage. It was obviously diluted coconut milk with a bunch of cheap vitamins thrown in and emulsifier. Unsweetened, it was decent stuff. I liked it better with just the tiniest bit of stevia in it, it became more like regular milk's lactose in taste bud action.

Think of it as coconut milk milk!

So, I tried making my own. First, 365 CM, it already has emulsifier in it. Four ounces and then top off with water to make a quart. Well, kinda watery. Now it gets weird: So I added a bit of xanthan gum and it virtually would not dissolve! Shook the bottle like crazy, let it sit overnight. A very slight thickening did take place after all that. Still left lumps. BTW, the thickening sort of fools the brain into believing there is more "stuff" in the liquid.

Today I tried Thai Kitchen because it seems to have a LOT of emulsifier in it. If you don't shake the can vigorously for fifteen seconds, it will come out - sort of - in lumps! Anyway, perfecto mundo. Quite drinkable the way it is. Of course there is the stevia option, too.

An 8 ounce glass will have only 60 calories! You can, of course, play around with dilutions to your liking.

Since the WF beverage costs $4, and this cost about sixty cents, so sorry So Delicious!

Or you can cook some banana in coconut milk. Add ground cardamom and saffron and enjoy it warm.

Comment

I think that qualifies as a thread jacking, maba.....

Comment

OTB, I realized that as soon as I posted that. Your talk of CM + stevia reminded me of a CM-based dessert and I didn't think twice before posting. My apologies.

Comment

OTB, I remeber a thread about xanthan gum here before. I think you were asking what Mark's take on it was. Unfortunately, I don't remember reading his answer. Is it pretty acceptable?

Comment

Thanks for the apology, maba!

I don't think Mark weighs in on gums, the thickener variety. They have no nutritional consequences and often substitute for sugar or HFCS. I'm not an expert on food gums, but most of them seem to be polysacchirides, (sp!) just like a lot of things in nature. In fact guar gum and agar and carrageenan are all natural poly...poly....uh, many sugars.

Some folks here had good suggestions on thickening mostly gravy with other foods besides flour or starch, maybe that's what you are thinking of.

I use the xanthan to make gravy and BBQ sauces, mostly.

Comment

What about agar agar? I bought some the other day, but I haven't tried it for thickening yet.

Comment

Comment

Hijack, Hijack!!! Sheesh OTB, Thread-police much?

Oops, I better beware....I might get a ticket!!! :-P

What are polysaccharides anyway? I read the Wiki article and still don't know if it has any adverse affects. It isn't a starch then?

Comment

Achtung! You vill obey internet protocols!

It just struck me as strange for the first response to be so off topic.

No adverse effects unless you consume lots of them, like drinking a quart of aloe juice.

They're fine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gum

Comment

Thank you and good day (Aufweidersein) - OK, so my German spelling is a bit rusty! ;-)

Thank you OTB...

Comment

I've now tried the Hole Foods 365 C.M., same "process" of 4 oz with 28 of water. I added one of those stevia mini-measures.

The oils sort of congealed out sitting in the fridge, but a few hearty shakes and all was emulsified again. This is good stuff!

Comment

Another old topic that I'm getting "dialed in."

You can use emulsified or unemulsified coconut milk. If the latter, you will have to shake the container before pouring.

At a minimum, use 4 oz of 90 calorie per two ounces CM per 32 oz total. Higher calorie milk like Thai Kitchen or Hole Foods 365, you can use less. But it starts tasting "thin."

Adding additional emulsifier as the So Delicious brand "beverage" does, makes it seem richer than it is. A quarter tsp of xanthan gum does the trick. The trick on the trick is to add the gum to the water only, it will NOT wokr with CM in there! Trust me. Let it sit for ten minutes, shake, then add the CM.

A tiny stevia spoon of, um, stevia, adds sweetness like you expect from lactose in milk.

An eight ounce glass of CMM (coconut milk milk!) using 4 oz of 90 cals per 2 oz milk in a quart is only 50 calories. My latest batch is of that cal/ounce but I doubled it, and I swear, you will NOT miss real milk. And still many fewer calories than real milk.

Comment

OTB, I'm confused about what the Coconut Milk Milk recipe is. Is this right?

Mix 28 oz. water + 1/4 tsp. xanthum gum + a stevia spoon of stevia. To that, add 4 oz. coconut milk. Shake.

Also, what is a stevia spoon, and what kind of stevia do you buy? I've always found stevia to be bitter.

Comment

crunchysue, my post at the beginning 'splains it in its most raw form. Last night's post were more observations.

The Simply Deliscious Coconut Milk Beverage, which gave me the idea for a homemade version has 50 calories per 8 oz. That would be the equivalent of 1 oz of coconut milk that has 100 calories per 2 oz serving. So, that's how I came up with my original dilution, based on calories.

There is no NEED for gum or stevia, they are just two options to make it more cow milk like.

Powdered Stevia comes with a measuring spoon, a very tiny portion. I don't know how it could be bitter, it's a sweetener.

As I said, play with the dilution to your liking. I doubled the CM in my last batch which puts it at 90 calories per glass.....still less than milk....and it was Soooooooo, um, Delicious.

Comment

Working...
                              X