Primal approved Mac n' Cheese??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal approved Mac n' Cheese??

I am enthusiastic with going "Grok" out of all the regements and plans out there that never clicked with me mentally and physically. I'm 25 and I used to be an athelete when I was younger but strayed away for many reasons and I hate that I'm overweight and have no energy. I have looked at and tried alot of things but this seems to fit me mentally and physically. Now onto my question......my wife is very supportive of me doing this and she wants to join me but is afraid of letting go of foods she really enjoys to support me and it would be tedious and tiresome to cook 2 seperate meals, her main concern is Mac n' Cheese: is there a recipe or something out there to make or a brand that is supported by other "Grokkers" out there that would be a good healthy version to eat so my wife doesnt think I'm taking all the things she loves away so we can both be healthier. I mean we dont eat bad at our house, we eat healthy portions of vegetables each meal and good protien each meal but she loves her mac n' cheese so can anybody help? I'm new to this and just started this program today and need help.....

Replace the pasta with cauliflower? Gets rid of the worst offender. If that's still not close enough, maybe cook one batch of the cheese sauce, and dump half on pasta if she really doesn't want to give that up and half on veggies.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Sit her down and say, "Honey, you are sad about a wheat flour product when you have a roof over your head, warm clothes on your back, and a full refrigerator." Pause. Look deep into her eyes. "I want you to think about that for a little while." Leave the room.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I don't know of any specific recipes but how about the cauliflower "rice" from the cookbook in combo with cheese? Could have a similar texture/flavor. (Cheese can be OK in this way of eating for some people... not everybody though!)

Or -- there's always the "use gluten-free pasta and call it your 20%" approach...

I know when my husband got on board with this he forewarned me in advance that he wasn't planning to go 100%. He really likes pasta, bread, etc. But as time has gone on he's found he's comfortable having those things less and less often, without really trying.
        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Originally posted by technocaveman View Post
          ......my wife is very supportive of me doing this and she wants to join me but is afraid of letting go of foods she really enjoys to support me and it would be tedious and tiresome to cook 2 seperate meals, her main concern is Mac n' Cheese: is there a recipe or something out there to make or a brand that is supported by other "Grokkers" out there that would be a good healthy version to eat so my wife doesnt think I'm taking all the things she loves away so we can both be healthier.
          Nope. Sorry. I've become a pretty creative cook since primality, & even made some tasty replacement foods, but it just won't work for mac'n'cheese - the whole point of mac IS the carby noodles, otherwise she'd be just as happy snacking cheese with fresh fruit. No, it's the noodles, no getting around that.

That said, if you'd told me 6 months ago I'd stop eating bread, pasta and sugar I'd have laughed, and probably discounted whatever diet advice you had to share on the basis of your obvious lunacy - but lo, it just kind of happened. So, my advice (fwiw): make her delicious mac'n'cheese dinner once every week or two, and eat some with her - make sure and have salad etc to also eat. It probably won't kill you, and will set her mind at ease. BUT, that deal only kicks in after going PB for a month, if she still wants it. She probably won't is my guess, I don't.

Just make sure you do something else awesome for her alternative treat, so she doesn't feel snookered.

Comment

You could try this recipe with hearts of palm. I've never tried it but it does look like mac and cheese. http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2010...nd-cheese.html

Comment

How about just getting some gluten-free pasta from the vegan/health food store? It will still be starchy and carby but at least it won't have the gluten. As long as you're not eating it daily it's not going to be the end of the world.

Comment

I second trying a cauliflower mac and cheese: perhaps roasting chopped up pieces in the oven then pouring the sauce over it? Or maybe roasted chopped rutabaga? Chopped up cooked strings of spaghetti squash?

Not really mac and cheese, but cheesy and quite good: vegetable appetizer suqares http://www.food.com/recipe/vegetable...squares-185469

edit: meant to say could replace the flour with coconut/almond flour

Comment

Originally posted by Katie82 View Post
                  You could try this recipe with hearts of palm. I've never tried it but it does look like mac and cheese. http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2010...nd-cheese.html
                  That's the recipe I was going to recommend. I have the hearts of palm in my cupboard, but I haven't gotten around to actually trying it out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bUMbLeB View Post
                    Nope. Sorry. I've become a pretty creative cook since primality, & even made some tasty replacement foods, but it just won't work for mac'n'cheese - the whole point of mac IS the carby noodles, otherwise she'd be just as happy snacking cheese with fresh fruit. No, it's the noodles, no getting around that.

That said, if you'd told me 6 months ago I'd stop eating bread, pasta and sugar I'd have laughed, and probably discounted whatever diet advice you had to share on the basis of your obvious lunacy - but lo, it just kind of happened. So, my advice (fwiw): make her delicious mac'n'cheese dinner once every week or two, and eat some with her - make sure and have salad etc to also eat. It probably won't kill you, and will set her mind at ease. BUT, that deal only kicks in after going PB for a month, if she still wants it. She probably won't is my guess, I don't.

Just make sure you do something else awesome for her alternative treat, so she doesn't feel snookered.
                    Haha...see, for me it turned out to be about the melty cheese sauce, not the noodles (I was also a huge fan of cheese fries and nachos). Now I just put cheese sauce on broccoli once in a while, and I like it better than I ever liked mac & cheese ^_^

But yeah, for most people it's probably about the noodles too.
                    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                      Sit her down and say, "Honey, you are sad about a wheat flour product when you have a roof over your head, warm clothes on your back, and a full refrigerator." Pause. Look deep into her eyes. "I want you to think about that for a little while." Leave the room.
                      hahahaha +1 !

However, yeah I suggest just eating regular mac and cheese (maybe gluten free, not sure how that taste is.. ) but make it like a once a week thing TOPS. Eventually she'll forget all about it.

I haven't had a bowl of oatmeal since february, and I never thought that would happen since I ate it constantly. Doesn't even look appetizing anymore.

Most pasta is all about the sauce. Noodles on their own have no taste whatsoever. Get her to eat the cheese on something else and get over the macaroons, man.
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Shave a zucchini with a vegetable peeler until you get long wide ribbons (Don't use the seedy center). Put the ribbons in a colander over the sink and mix about half a teaspoon or so of salt in it and let it sit for 30 min. After 30 min wash it and dry it off. The finished product honestly feels pretty much like pasta and tastes really good!. Put the zucchini ribbons in a pan over medium heat (You don't really want to cook the ribbons, just warming them up) with some butter and top with your favorite pasta sauce and you got primal pasta. Another options is spaghetti squash. If you don't like either of these options try and stick with rice noodles which taste exactly like wheat pasta but isn't quite as bad for you.
                        Without music life would be a mistake.

Comment

For me, I find that making 'substitutes' just causes me to crave the real thing worse, and eventually eat the stupid crap and feel physically sick and bloated for 3 days.
                          Redflame
                          Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
                          Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
                          Goal of Significant Weight Loss
                          15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

I think that eating "primal + one meal of mac and cheese a week" is a whole lot better than not eating primal and eating mac and cheese every week.

Just keep it in the menu rotation for now. Revisit the idea of a substitute once she is reaping the benefits of PB and wanting more.

Good luck!
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                              LMAO - I have to say that's my gut reaction when I hear people say "I just can't give that up".
                              My primal journal
                              You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
                              In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

Working...
                              X