No announcement yet.

Primal approved Mac n' Cheese??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about using pieces of blanched green beans instead of pasta? Or better yet, yellow wax beans? When they are cut into lengths I've always thought that it looks a little like macaroni.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

My DH makes two neolithic-based dishes that are absolutely, devinely delish. I can live without them, but I'd rather not...we have them once or twice a year. One is (Alton Brown's) Mac and Cheese. For me, mac and cheese is about the texture of the noodles and flavor/texture of the sauce. You can't take the cheese, put it on a veggie and have it be a substitute. You may create a dish that's good in it's own right, but it's not mac and cheese. We probably have that once a year. The other is Cincinnati chili, which is traditionally served over white spaghetti noodles. We have this about 3 times a year and I usually put mine over rice pasta noodles. It's still grain based, but at least its gluten free. though, the last time we had it I just had regular pasta and somehow survived. A rare treat, I don't fret over (as long as there aren't lots of rare treats every week!)

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
      Sit her down and say, "Honey, you are sad about a wheat flour product when you have a roof over your head, warm clothes on your back, and a full refrigerator." Pause. Look deep into her eyes. "I want you to think about that for a little while." Leave the room.
      these complaints do seem silly when you put them in perspective, don't they.
      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Try Dreamfields pasta

I make mac and cheese with Dreamfields elbow pasta, using their recipe (used to be on the box, but check their web site for it). The taste is great, even my non-primal eating husband likes it. Just eat smallish portions and eat some protein with it to not have your blood sugar rise after eating.

Comment

The best fake mac n cheese EVAH.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mockafoni_cheese.html

Srsly. My kids love it. I fed it to my girlfriend who HATES cauliflower and she loved it. I usually do not do substitute types of food, but every once in a while you need comfort foods and this delivers all the good stuff with none of the bad. (And after a while you don't need or want the subs as much but it can be good as a bridge from the old ways...)

This is one of mine:

mockafoni and che.jpg

M
          sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Have you thought about spaghetti squash?

I was HUGE pasta hound, but once I tried spaghetti squash I was immediately hooked. The flavor is similar to pasta, but it's got a nice crunch to it. I absolutely love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
              The best fake mac n cheese EVAH.

MOCKAFONI & CHEESE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Srsly. My kids love it. I fed it to my girlfriend who HATES cauliflower and she loved it. I usually do not do substitute types of food, but every once in a while you need comfort foods and this delivers all the good stuff with none of the bad. (And after a while you don't need or want the subs as much but it can be good as a bridge from the old ways...)

This is one of mine:

[ATTACH]2363[/ATTACH]

M
              I know this thread is really old, but I just made this recipe today for a grill-out party I'm going to. We are have having freshly made primal polish sausage and I was looking for a comfort-food side dish to serve with the sausages.

I used fresh cauliflower, not frozen, made the sauce on the stove top, added a little tapioca starch to thicken, and added a little parmesan cheese. I topped it at the end with extra chopped scallions and chives.

So very delicious!! I highly recommend it for the occasional comfort food side dish
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Anything with cheese makes me happy and now this link has reminded me that I love cauliflower cheese, put it all under the grill until crusty on top. Serious amounts of yum!
                Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
                Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Comment

Cauliflower mac and cheese

Hubby LOVES LOVES LOVE this. Its his primal comfort food. I like it if I "burn" the top a little so there is a crunchy crust. I don't bother with the mustard-its great without it. However, if you don't do dairy then this recipe won't work.
                  See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

Working...
                  X