I'm in love!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in love!

I have fallen head over heals in love...

with zucchini chips!

I got loads and loads of yellow squash and zucchini. I shredded some and put it in the freezer, and I started slicing some into chips. I put them in the oven straight on the racks at 140* with the door cracked open. It took about a day, but I have chips!

A co-worker is letting me borrow her dehydrator, and I'll be borrowing a second dehydrator from my parents. Now I have to get all the zucchini and yellow squash I can get my hands on. I need a supply for the winter- LOL!

Now to find a nice Primal nacho dip.

Yum!! Sounds awesome

Comment

Do you use any seasoning on them? I tried the Kale chip recipe. They were OK the first day but were really bad the next day. I don't think they were dry enough when they went into the container.

Comment

That sounds awesome DR! How about Baba ghanoush for a dip. Or pesto whisked in CM (I usually do it w/ yoghurt, but CM would be a primal alternative). If you want to OD on zucchini, SoG has a recipe for Zucchini Hummus. Hmmm, let's see... how about salsa. Or salsa verde, I made it 2 weeks ago w/ roasted tomatillos, it tasted awesome.

Comment

I salted some of the chips, and left the others plain, to see what I liked better. Might try different spices and see what goes best. Onion powder might be good.

Great suggestions, Maba! I could really go for some salsa right now too. I'll have to see what I can find from SoG. He's got some great stuff.

Tomatillos are still foreign to me. I'd love a recipe for your salsa verde though. I'm trying to be more adventurous with veggies.

Comment

Diana, Here's a great no-cheese cheesy sauce that I adapted from a vegan cookbook from my local co-op. Add jalepeņos, and I think it would make a great nacho dip:

Blend together:

1 med red pepper, diced

1 cup cashews

1 cup water

1 TBL lemon juice

1 TBL olive oil

2 TBL cup diced onion

1/2 tsp Celtic or Hawaiian sea salt

2 cloves garlic

3/4 tsp turmeric

You could play with any of the ingredients--the red pepper and turmeric give it a nice orange color, and the cashews a nice, cheese sauce consistency--you could probably try another nut as well. (P.S. It's yummy over cauliflower too!)

Comment

oh yum i have tons of zucchini and summer squash ..do you peel the skin off first or leave on? I would imagine these would be great with pico de gallo! oxoox Darlene

Comment

DR, this is how I made my salsa verde. Roast tomatillos, onion, jalapeno, garlic (with the peel on) in an oven till the skin chars a bit. Peel the garlic and pulse all the ingredients in a food processor till smooth (or chunky if you like it that way). Season with salt and garnish with chopped cilantro. It was very tangy, just the way I like it.

Comment

And for the lazy among us, a good version of the salsa verde is available from Trader Joe's.

Comment

Catalina that sounds so good! OMG!

Wow, Maba, that sounds surpisingly easy. I've got onion and jalapeno and garlic. Just need the tomatillos.

Agnieszka... unfortunately I don't have a Trader Joe's... though I did find some TJ mango sauce at a dollar store, lol!

Darlene- I'm lazy. I just left the skins right on. It gave them a nice cruch.

Comment

cool cuz I am lazy too lol xooxo Darlene

(Trying these tomorrow!)

Comment

One of my favorite dips (can be easy or complicated depending on laziness) is artichoke and black olives.

Easy: Two cans of artichoke hearts, and one can of pitted black olives. Drain them throw in a bowl, add salt and pepper, and olive oil.

***OPTIONAL*** some minced garlic (one or two cloves).

Pull out the stick blender, and make it smooth.

Hard: Same as above, but steam whole artichokes (don't forget the get the meat from the bottom of the petals as well as the heart (discard the beard of course), and get some good premium black olives (and spend a whole lot of time removing the pits).

***SIDE NOTE*** Depending on the method of preparation of the black olives you might not need to add olive oil.

I let y'all guess which is the tastier of the two...

Once you learn that you create your own reality and that you are fully responsible for your life, you can begin to see the world as it is and then you realize the limitless possibilities.

Comment

Garlic is never optional. It's mandatory.

That sounds really good, and I've been meaning to buy an artichoke, as I never have before.

Comment

Artichoke as comes in easy and complicated.

Easy: Run under cold water to rinse, and make sure to get in between the leaves. Turn off water, grab some plastic wrap, and wrap each 'choke by itself.

Throw them in the microwave for a minute, when timer runs out pull one out and try to remove a petal.

If it comes off easily eat and enjoy, if not another go in the merry-go-zap.

***WARNING: THOSE BUGGERS WILL BE HOT

Complicated (not really): Trim the top so that the 'chokes can stand on their heads.

Put water in the bottom of a pan, a steamer, and the chokes head down (don't let the chokes touch the water).

Slowly steam until the petals are easily pulled off.

And remember: don't eat the beard! It's like a mouthful of hair... Yuck!

And for this you might need 4 or 5 artichokes. The little purple ones are the tastiest IMO.

Once you learn that you create your own reality and that you are fully responsible for your life, you can begin to see the world as it is and then you realize the limitless possibilities.

Comment

Chips? Yey! I'm going to try to make some tonigh.

Comment

Working...
                              X