Seeking Meatloaf...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Meatloaf...

I have a good amount of ground grass fed ground beef and I would love to see if anybody has a great PB Meatloaf recipe to share with me...
    Thanks!

It varies depending what i have on hand. But my basics are egg (about 1 per pound), almond meal, carrots, celery, a little onion. Spices just depends on what i feel like: Garlic, pepper, cayenne, and my secret is dijon mustard.

This can vary a ton just depends on what you like.
    Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

The one here on MDA is excellent!! It works well in stuffed peppers too!

Comment

I'm going to make my first meatloaf soon. I'll probably use coconut in it. My aunt used to make meatlaof with harbloiled eggs in the center...mmmm so good,
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a_morgan24 View Post
          I have a good amount of ground grass fed ground beef and I would love to see if anybody has a great PB Meatloaf recipe to share with me...
          Thanks!
          I use mushrooms, onions and peppers in place of breadcrumbs, parmesan as a binder, and eggs & tomato sauce (in place of ketchup) to moisten, plus whatever seasonings.

Comment

Mine is like a giant meatball...1 lb grass fed beef, 1/2 lb locally made sweet Italian sausage, 1/2 cup almond meal, 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley, one egg, 3 cloves garlic and one onion (shred the garlic and onion in the food processor or chop really really fine), 1 tsp red pepper flake, little sea salt and pepper. Mush it all up, loaf it, top with tomato paste if ya want (I choose to serve with homemade marinara instead).

Comment

Ground beef + minced onions + grated/shredded veggies + spices + eggs = meatloaf.

Don't ask me about measurements. I really couldn't tell ya. I just slop it all together- LOL

Comment

I make "regular" meatloaf without any bread crumbs and it turns out fine. I know there's some sugar in it, nut my fav topping is habanero ketchup

Comment

Thanks, guys! I have always done Mama's recipes with old fashioned Saltine crackers so am grateful for these tips.
                  I am hungry now and kind of want to try every one of these ideas

Comment

I use the following recipe as a jumping off point for my meatloaf... I got it from http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com
                    Instead of ground turkey - I use a 1lb of ground bison, pork, beef (Organic/grass fed If I can find it and it fits into our food budget), I also up the carrots/onions & puree them in a vitamix, and eliminate the corn meal. I'm sure you could play w/it to drop the sugars from the molassas, ketchup, and honey, to make it less sweet. I make enough for 3 meatloafs and freeze 2, for cooking at a later date. btw its wonderful as a leftover when cooked w/eggs on a sunday morning!

Brown Sugar Glazed Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
                    1 3/4 lbs. ground turkey
                    1 small sweet or red onion, peeled
                    1 medium to large carrot, peeled, trimmed
                    3 cloves fresh peeled garlic
                    1/2 cup good Muir Glen Oganic Tomato Ketchup
                    1 tablespoon molasses
                    1 organic free-range egg (or omit for egg-free and use 1 more tablespoon molasses)
                    3/4 cup gluten-free cornbread crumbs
                    A pinch of nutmeg
                    A pinch of cinnamon
                    1 teaspoon thyme
                    Sea salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
                    Brown Sugar Meatloaf Glaze
                    Stir to combine:
                    1/3 cup brown sugar
                    1/3 cup ketchup
                    2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, to taste
                    1 teaspoon honey mustard
                    A small pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon

At the 45 minute mark, remove the loaf from the oven.
                    Spoon the glaze mixture on top of the loaf.
                    Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F.

Read more: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...#ixzz13lZ4NSLI

Read more: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...#ixzz13lYd1DbB
                    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                    SW 190lb
                    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                    GW ~135lbs
                    5'3"
                    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

I have to try some onions, peppers, and tomato sauce in mine.

I usually make mine pretty plain - egg, salt, pepper, garlic, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce (a touch). I will put Parmesan in there too, but not during my Whole 30 thing this month.

I have tried the almond meal in meatballs before, but I didn't care for it at all.

Comment

This non-tomatoey version from Kalyn's Kitchen looks great! We'll be trying this one for sure:

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/20...loaf-with.html

Comment

Do you know there is a ketchup made now that is sweetened with agave? Organicville makes it. it is pretty good! here is one I have seen but not made. i would be adding quite a few spices to it.
                          Southern Meatloaf
                          (GF recipe adapted from: http://www.tastymeatloafrecipes.com/...n-meatloaf.htm)

2 pounds ground bison or turkey (or 1 pound of each)
                          1/2 cup blanched almond flour
                          1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
                          1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
                          1 large egg
                          3 tablespoons organic butter
                          1/2 cup hot water

Saute some onions to serve on top. I saute in equal parts organic butter and virgin coconut oil. YUMMY!

Directions:
                          Place a medium sized baking pan into a cool oven and heat oven to 350 degrees.

Place the hot water into a large mixing bowl and add the butter. Stir until completely melted. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.

Shape mixture into a loaf and place in heated baking pan. Cook your meatloaf for approximately 40 minutes or until an internal temperature of 170 degrees has been reached.

Can be served hot or cold.
                          http://cavewomancafe.wordpress.com/sigpic

Comment

I agree with the other posters about lots of veggies. I've found that if you brown them thoroughly before putting them into the meatloaf mix, they lose a lot of water, and as a result the loaf stays together better. I've never used any kind of flour, even nut flours, as a binder, and it still works fine if you cook the veggies to get moisture out. Eggs are also important for this.

Comment

I saw this thread last night and decided to try my first meatloaf today. I just kinda winged it using what I remembered reading from the various recipes here. I then proceeded to chow the fuck down! Seriously, I feel like such a pig right now. I had to stop myself after eating nearly half the loaf because I was beginning to feel a little ridiculous. Had a BAS on the side too.

Here's what I used:

2.4 lbs ground turkey
                              2 eggs
                              4 tablespoons melted butter
                              1 medium yellow onion, diced and pressed dry
                              1/2 large green pepper, diced and pressed dry
                              5 cloves garlic, minced
                              healthy doses of paprika, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and dried herbs

Butter up a deep baking dish, mix all the ingredients, form into a loaf and and cook at 350 until the internal temperature reads 160-170 degrees. I overcooked mine a little so it came out a bit drier than I wanted but was still pretty awesome. I also took a can of diced tomatoes, crushed them up using a potato masher, simmered to reduce and rubbed that over the loaf during the cooking process. I scored my loaf with a knife before cooking which allowed it to spread a bit while baking and also allowed the sauce to seep in.
                              Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 11-06-2010, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X