What to dip in my soup if not bread?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lizch View Post
    It struck me early on with this PB stuff that PB food is rarely sponge-like. There's little truly primal food that soaks up sauces or soups.

So, I tip the bowl up and drink it. And I lick the plate. It's awfully fun.
    this.

Comment

Originally posted by theholla View Post
      In that link, Mark explicitly states that he does not consider sourdough bread part of the PB:
      Holla,
      You mis-read Mark. Here is exactly what he said:
      Originally posted by Mark
      ... fermentation can render previously inedible or even dangerous foods edible and somewhat nutritious. The lectins, gluten, and phytates in grains, for example, can be greatly reduced by fermentation...... I if you’re going to treat yourself to any gluten grain-derived food, make real, long-fermented sourdough bread the one. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fermented-foods-health/
      This means he gives his grudging approval. Sourdough Bread is the least risky bread.

Best to all,
      Grizz
      Last edited by Grizz; 10-21-2010, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Grizz, I'm quoting his exact words, from the exact same article. It is two sentences after where you stopped quoting:

Real sourdough is a good choice for guests who simply must have their bread, but don’t think fermentation makes it Primal approved.
        (emphasis added)

While lectins, gluten, and phytates are reduced through fermentation, they are not completely eliminated. Hence, the difference between the WAPF stance (soak, sprout, or ferment grains), and the primal stance (avoid grains entirely). So, while Mark is saying that sourdough bread is safer than a non-fermented bread, he isn't recommending that we add it to our diet except as an occasional indulgence.
        The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Cheese "chips" made by nuking or baking cheese mounds till flat and crisp, doesn't take long

Comment

Originally posted by theholla View Post
            Grizz, I'm quoting his exact words, from the exact same article. It is two sentences after where you stopped quoting:

(emphasis added)

While lectins, gluten, and phytates are reduced through fermentation, they are not completely eliminated. Hence, the difference between the WAPF stance (soak, sprout, or ferment grains), and the primal stance (avoid grains entirely). So, while Mark is saying that sourdough bread is safer than a non-fermented bread, he isn't recommending that we add it to our diet except as an occasional indulgence.
            I prefer my interpretation of Mark's statement. I would not eat sourdough bread on a regular basis, but if I MUST have some bread once in a while, then sourdough bread is the best choice. We are planning a family get-together for Thanksgiving, and sourdough bread will be on the table.
            Originally posted by Mark
            ... fermentation can render previously inedible or even dangerous foods edible and somewhat nutritious. The lectins, gluten, and phytates in grains, for example, can be greatly reduced by fermentation...... I if you’re going to treat yourself to any gluten grain-derived food, make real, long-fermented sourdough bread the one. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fermented-foods-health/
            Which is a better choice ... Ezekial bread made from sprouts, or sourdough bread. I think sourdough bread is a better choice. As mark said, it is a TREAT, and not regular food.

Best to all,
            Grizz
            Last edited by Grizz; 10-21-2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Bacon
              Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

Grizz, you are entitled to your opinion, and it's fine if you choose to eat sourdough bread on occasion, but it still doesn't mean that it is primal. In his paragraph on sourdough, Mark explicitly states "this doesn’t apply to a PBer, but it still deserves mention," and goes on to caution "don’t think fermentation makes it Primal approved." WAPF-approved, yes. Better than non-sourdough bread, yes. Primal-approved, no.

I personally choose to avoid gluten in all its forms, and certainly wouldn't advise anyone on this board (many of whom are gluten-sensitive) to eat a food that contains gluten. Anyway, I hope that we can stop hijacking this thread soon. I just want to make it clear that sourdough bread does still contain gluten, lectins, and all the other unpleasant things that are in regular bread - just in lower quantities.
                The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                  pork rinds? i dunno. bread was always my "butter carrier", so now i just eat the butter or add it to my soup.
                  Pork rinds are my butter carrier. DON'T LAUGH! :-)
                  Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Drink it from the bowl?
                    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                      Pork rinds are my butter carrier. DON'T LAUGH! :-)
                      you're awesome!!
                      my primal journal:
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Does it taste anything like a roll?

Comment

I wrap a strip of cheddar in a slice of ham and dunk that.

Comment

Working...
                          X