Almond Butter Ice Cream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almond Butter Ice Cream

Last night I was considering the fat in ice cream and was wondering about almond butter ice cream.

I came across this recipe:

http://barneybutter.com/recipes/ice-cream.html

While it obviously has dairy in it, it's not entirely primal.

I've been curious lately about using fruit as a sugar replacement in things. I made bread and used a banana to sweeten it, and it worked pretty well. Wondering if an apple or banana instead of the sugar would work in this. It'd obviously change the consistency of it.

Sounds incredible.

What about coconut milk instead of cream, if you're worried about dairy?

I think a banana'd work great. 3/4 cup sugar just seems excessive, and I find I'm more sensitive to sweetness now.

I don't have access to an ice cream maker just yet, but my folks have one that doesn't get much use. I'll have to nab it next time I see them.

Lemme know if you try it out.

Comment

I'm not worried about dairy.

But, yeah, i was considering the sweetness sensitivity thing. I've been making flax/almond meal bread, and thinking about putting a puree'd apple in to make it a little sweet for breakfasts.

I just have to justify an ice cream machine, though, which I don't know if I can do. Wonder if I could trade my almost new rice cooker for one.

Comment

unsweetened applesauce is a great sweetener for baking.

Comment

This does sound great!

Comment

Okay you guys.

I just made this.

But I changed the recipe to use coconut milk, stevia and simplify the overall process.

O.M.G. <major drool>

It's so good.

Let me tell you how I did it.

I halved the recipe (using the original recipe from the link-- I halved it just in case it didn't turn out, didn't want to waste my precious eggs )

Over medium heat-- Put 3 yolks in a saucepan and whisked with 1 can of whole coconut milk. Added a shake of salt. To that add about 1/3-1/2 cup of raw almond butter. Mix well to combine.

Heated over medium heat til it coated the back of a spoon. Added stevia to taste.

I put the whole pan in the freezer to cool.

When cool, I transferred whole batch to the ice cream maker and churned for the specified amount of time (about 15 mins).

Very very tasty. This recipe's a keeper.

Comment

awesome!

Comment

timconradinc! get an ice cream maker! You won't reget it, I promise.

Comment

i'm pretty excited about this recipe for a number of reasons. mostly because i really like ice cream, but don't have it that often. If I could figure out a reasonable sweetener - like the fruit i mentioned - for this, it'd be a pretty nice treat for me.

Assuming, of course, I could spread it out over more than 1 sitting. But, with fruit, it wouldn't be so bad - 1 apple or banana would be fine.

Comment

Awesome Ecala! Thank you!

Comment

timconradinc-- you don't like stevia? or because it's not primal? Have you tried it?

Comment

Not so much the primal-ness of it - mostly it's because artificial sweeteners give me a headache. I find stevia to have a bitter aftertaste that I don't really care for, either.

I just can't get away from them completely - I use several different protein powders and they have artificial sweeteners in them. The one with stevia gives me a headache, the one with splenda doesn't as much.

Comment

Actually, Stevia isn't considered artificial though. It's actually an herb.

If you get the right kind of stevia (I've tried a few- and not all stevias are the same-- most of them I've tried are awful!)-- the brand I really like and tastes the best is the KAL brand. It's the ONLY one I'll use now.

That's too bad about the headaches though

Comment

coconut milk ice cream is out of this world. After trying several brands of non-dairy for my dairy-free child I finally made some homemade with coconut milk. It was hands down the best. My recipe was as above without the almond butter, but put some vanilla in it. very good.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

tim: NOOOO! breakfast is the time for marmite and avocado, not sweets! Lol.

I made some coconut milk, cream and strawberry puree popsicles the other day. YUM.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Working...
                              X