No announcement yet.

The primalize-this-dish-for-me thread!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The primalize-this-dish-for-me thread!

Post a dish that you miss from your pre-primal days and would like a primal version of. Or reply to other posters with ideas/recipes
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Good idea to start this thread, but you should have added some assignment in the starting post.

One of my favorite dishes is this: http://carolcookskeller.blogspot.com...age-cream.html (already lots of primal favorites in it: butter, sweet potato, bacon and eggs)
    What's the best way to primalize it? Rice wrappers might work, but they probably change the character of the dish quite a bit.
    Last edited by PatrickF; 10-08-2010, 09:59 AM.

Comment

How about primalizing perogies?

Comment

Originally posted by vb66 View Post
        How about primalizing perogies?
        Man If could primalize perogies I would shit a brick. I LOVE potato, cheese and onion perogies. Unfortunatly I used to eat them by the dozen.
        "Live Free or Die"

Comment

I'd say for filled pastas, forget the pasta and just make the filling, then top it however you would have before. For the sweet potato agnolotti that would mean essentially mashed sweet potato with bacon, topped with sage cream sauce and brown butter. For pirogi, you're looking at mashed potatoes with cheese and onion or sauerkraut, possibly topped with sour cream. If you eat white potatoes and dairy, that is. You might even be able to shape the cheesy, oniony mashed potatoes into little patties and brown them up in a pan like you would pirogi. If you don't eat white potatoes or dairy, I see no way of primalizing a dish that is made solely of grains, potatoes, and dairy.

Comment

I miss bean & cheese burritos with chips & salsa! If anyone knows how to primalize that I would be forever grateful!!!!!!!

Comment

Baklava. I could live on baklava. The honey and nuts are primal enough - but replacing the flaky pastry seems impossible. Almond flour pastry puff anyone?

Comment

Lasagne?

Comment

Lasagne turns out to be really easy.

I made one that exceeded expectations by using roasted eggplant slices ipo noodles. Sliced the eggplant between 1/4" and 1/2" thick probably put on a cookie cooling rack sitting on a cookie sheet (I do this all the time so the air can circulate around both sides and I can usually avoid any flipping) Brush with oil of choice and roast until a little dryer and soft. Then stack with your usual lasagna fixin's.

The ricotta cheese that I love to use makes me a bit ill, and it's not exactly primal. But...I recently tasted something that would make the best substitute, I think. I'll try it eventually! The leftovers from making almond milk with blanched almonds soaked up and ground and filtered...I swear the stuff tasted just like lightly sweetened ricotta cheese. Besides cheese I just use mashed meatballs or mashed meatloaf, I like my seasonings to already be in there and the last time I made one it gave me an excuse to use up a meatloaf recipe that didn't quite cook up as I'd have hoped...Love to reuse mistakes! Also some type of tomato product. Not sure I'll be giving up the parmesan or mozzarella, though...wouldn't be a lasagna to me without some cheesy flavor!

You can use zucchini or squash ipo the eggplant too!

Kim
                  Originally posted by adam_devon View Post
                  Lasagne?

Comment

Originally posted by uccella View Post
                    Baklava. I could live on baklava. The honey and nuts are primal enough - but replacing the flaky pastry seems impossible. Almond flour pastry puff anyone?
                    Baklava sounds pretty much impossible! Heck maybe something thin could be made with egg, gelatin and a sprinkling of almond flour, but truthfully the real deal is enough work with the sheets of pastry, I would probably never attempt it. I'd be more likely to aim for the taste by maybe an almond shortbread cookie with either crushed nuts in the mix, or on top and topped with a honey butter sauce?

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by hello primal kitty View Post
                      I miss bean & cheese burritos with chips & salsa! If anyone knows how to primalize that I would be forever grateful!!!!!!!
                      I don't do beans, but I have made great enchilada type roll ups with a almond flour or almond butter crepe recipe! I was once again surprised at how good they turned out! Once smothered with sauce, and I still use cheddar to top, they were pretty delicious! The chips are more of a problem. I can make some crackers using elenaspantry recipes that are strong enough to use to dip, but I'm not sure what flavorings would work with salsa best? Maybe some plain ones? I think that almond flour quickbreads taste a lot like cornbread, so maybe just a plain almond flour chip. They are pretty easy to make, basically egg, almond flour, oil, salt. I roll out between sheets of silicone mat, or parchment and cook way longer than they call for to get them crisp...Also cut them after baking 1/2 way with a pizza cutter so they are in chip form...

Comment

Kim,

Thanks for such a quick reply - I have never eaten eggplant before which is why it would never have occurred to me as being a pasta sheets substitute. I will have to pick some up and give it a try.

Thanks once again,

Adam

Comment

I would LOVE a great recipe for primal enchilada sauce. I could swear I've seen it here before, but for the life of me, I can't find it today!
                          Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by kandc88 View Post
                            Baklava sounds pretty much impossible! Heck maybe something thin could be made with egg, gelatin and a sprinkling of almond flour, but truthfully the real deal is enough work with the sheets of pastry, I would probably never attempt it. I'd be more likely to aim for the taste by maybe an almond shortbread cookie with either crushed nuts in the mix, or on top and topped with a honey butter sauce?

Kim
                            Haha, I agree...for me to think I could recreate actual baklava would just be wishful thinking, the phyllo is such an integral part of it. But I've definitely considered imitating baklava filling and making my own type of pastry around it, maybe some kind of almond flour concoction...or just eating it as is :P

Comment

Originally posted by kandc88 View Post
                              Lasagne turns out to be really easy.

I made one that exceeded expectations by using roasted eggplant slices ipo noodles. Sliced the eggplant between 1/4" and 1/2" thick probably put on a cookie cooling rack sitting on a cookie sheet (I do this all the time so the air can circulate around both sides and I can usually avoid any flipping) Brush with oil of choice and roast until a little dryer and soft. Then stack with your usual lasagna fixin's.

The ricotta cheese that I love to use makes me a bit ill, and it's not exactly primal. But...I recently tasted something that would make the best substitute, I think. I'll try it eventually! The leftovers from making almond milk with blanched almonds soaked up and ground and filtered...I swear the stuff tasted just like lightly sweetened ricotta cheese. Besides cheese I just use mashed meatballs or mashed meatloaf, I like my seasonings to already be in there and the last time I made one it gave me an excuse to use up a meatloaf recipe that didn't quite cook up as I'd have hoped...Love to reuse mistakes! Also some type of tomato product. Not sure I'll be giving up the parmesan or mozzarella, though...wouldn't be a lasagna to me without some cheesy flavor!

You can use zucchini or squash ipo the eggplant too!

Kim

I have made it this way before and it turns out good. You could also do an eggplant parm in a similar way (if you feel guilty about the cheese). Cut the eggplant thin and bread it (with egg and flour coating) and fry it up till its golden brown. I like to add some red pepper flakes to the flour for a little kick. Layer these up in a pan with sauce and bake it till you can poke the eggplant with a fork and have it not stick to the fork. You can top with cheese or not.

This is also good if you just lay each eggplant piece on a pan and broil the cheese to the top.

For the perogies, i came across this site http://www.culinarydisaster.com/word...rolls-sarmale/. I would think that the cabbage could be used for the outsides. Not really sure how that would taste.
                              My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Comment

Working...
                              X