List your new experiments from the week

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List your new experiments from the week

Sometimes we all need some refreshing ideas, and going through a cookbook (other than PB) can just be disouraging with all the carbs they serve and cook with.

So I was thinking it would be a good idea to get ideas from each other, and primally perfect if they even had pictures: So here are some creations, and combinations we had over the last few meals.

Top ratings: acorn squash, cut in half and baked till done. Scooped out insides, and added that to a pan of cooked chopped pepper bacon with onion (grease and all) Heated that through, added some sea salt and more pepper, everyone LOVED it. a little higher in carbs, just needs to be planned into the day, the amount we had per serving was 22 carbs, but my total for the day was only 48, so that was fine with me!

Simple Sunday Sausage Eggs: 2 1/2 pounds ground seasoned sausage, cooked into a fine crumble, 12 eggs poured over that and scrambled, topped off with sea salt and pepper. Serves 4, and we were STUFFED, didnt need to eat again until 8 hours later

Cookies (or now named Crumbles) Coconut flour and almond meal, coconut oil and butter, an egg, pinch of baking soda and salt, chopped up 85% choc bar. Tasted good, texture--ehhh, crumbled horribley, I almost had them in a bowl with coconut milk over them like a cereal.

Whats been on your plate lately?

I love this idea. I usually don't cook from set recipes, but love getting ideas for new food combinations.

I made ghee for the first time! It was far easier than I had imagined.

Chocolate autumn dessert experiment: Apple slices and crushed pecans, fried in ghee with vanilla and cinnamon, topped with a quick and easy chocolate "mousse" - unsweetened cocoa mixed with mascarpone, vanilla extract, and a couple drops of honey. It was rich, amazing, and came out to around 20 carbs per serving. The chocolate "mousse" was the most important discovery. I always wondered how chocolate could possibly be more delicious. Turns out, the answer was to replace the cocoa butter with butterfat Seriously, crème fraiche and mascarpone are changing my life right now!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by theholla View Post
      Seriously, crème fraiche and mascarpone are changing my life right now!

Me likey life changers~

Comment

I made meatballs with ground almonds for stability. They were shyte.

Comment

I will post pictures when I make them again....

But basically I took

1 can of pureed pumpkin
          3tbsp pumpkin pie spice
          stevia
          2 eggs
          4 oz of coconut milk
          2 tbsp butter

And blended it all up with a stick blender. I scooped it into some greased ramekins and then topped it with almond meal mixed with butter. (crust consistency)

I popped them into a 350 degree oven for about half an hour and let them cool completely, and then dumped them out of the ramekins so that they landed crust side down.

I then dusted them with cocoa flower.

And voila, portion controlled individual pumpkin pies.

Each one came out to like 300 - 400 calories, 15 carbs, etc which is pretty much nada.

Comment

Bane, I make mine with egg---just like I used to, and I leave out the bread crumb and they turn out great! I add shredded onion, garlic, and carrot, and squueze out the extra moisture (and I freeze that liquid for soup!)

Rivven--thats sounds like pure genious~ I tried to make some bars the other day, and they did not hold together, it has a bunch of various nuts, and a little almond butter and coconut oil, and some dark choc....I froze it knowing I would find a use for my crummy crumbly mess, and Me thinks me just did

Comment

Originally posted by Mikkijoe View Post
              Sometimes we all need some refreshing ideas, and going through a cookbook (other than PB) can just be disouraging with all the carbs they serve and cook with.
              Old cookbooks have a lot of recipes that are easily make primal. Everything was homemade because the packaged/convenience foods of today weren't around.

This weeks experiments:

Crustless pumpkin pie made with coconut milk. Very tasty and will make it again for Thanksgiving.

I've been missing my homemade raviolis and I realized I was missing the great fillings, not so much the pasta so I tried making the filling into flattish meatballs and gently poached them, then put the sauce over. Not bad at all.
              312/149/150

Comment

Rivvin, I am definitely going to have to make that!

mizski, that's a really great point about ravioli (which were the only pasta product I ever really liked). I'm currently playing around with stuffed veggie type solutions, but may have to try the meatball approach!
                The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

This week, I am taking the plunge and trying to cut squash, the thick rinds have always intimidated me. I found canned pumpkin finally at the store, will be trying pumpkin coconut custard, maybe pumpkin coconut flour muffins and pumpkin and Greek yogurt.

Also, later in the week, chicken heart instead of beef for a bolognese style sauce to be served over zucchini noodles.

Comment

Last night I made an interesting desert-type thing. I mixed leftover pumpkin with plain greek yogurt (non-fat was all the store had, unfortunately), cinnamon, and a little honey. I admit I accidentally dumped too much cinnamon into it (I love cinnamon!), but it was still good! I want to try it with whole coconut milk next time.
                    My rarely updated outlet for random occurrences of creativity.

Alo's Nest

Comment

I tried spaghetti squash a few weeks ago as a substitute for pasta but didn't know what to do with the leftovers. Found and modified a recipe for spaghetti squash pancakes (think potato pancakes).

two eggs
                      spaghetti squash, cooked and scraped out (I had about four cups)
                      diced red peppers
                      diced green peppers
                      diced onion
                      crushed garlic
                      salt and pepper to taste

Mix into a batter, heat oil and then fry like you would potato pancakes. Excellent and they heat up okay. I told my sister about the recipe and she tried it, adding crab meat.

Comment

I'll include something not to try: Squid Stir Fry
                        Ingredients:
                        Squid
                        Sliced summer squash and zuch.
                        tallow
                        cauliflower
                        chili powder
                        juice of 1 lime

I still like the concept, but the results were not worth repeating. Probably would be better with different veggies; ie more peppers, carrots, etc. and fewer "soft" veggies.

Comment

I made eggplant! I never knew what to do with them before, and now I love them!

* sauteed white diced onion & bitter melon in butter.
                          * sliced eggplants thin, coated with a mix of (lemme see) thai chili garlic sauce, horseradish, okonomi sauce (like fruity worcestershire), miso, smoked paprika, tumeric, chili powder, pepper and olive oil - put them in over the onions & melon, cover and simmer on low.
                          * then I also boiled up some yams, steamed broccoli, and baked some salmon - that's THREE BURNERS + OVEN! A personal best!
                          * later, I added a swack of oyster mushrooms to the simmer pan, and even later tomato slices.

I just don't even have the words to tell you how good it tasted! Should... have sent... a poet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason VT View Post
                            I'll include something not to try: Squid Stir Fry

I still like the concept, but the results were not worth repeating. Probably would be better with different veggies; ie more peppers, carrots, etc. and fewer "soft" veggies.
                            I have been looking at those seafood mix bags which have squid in them.....and wondering if I should try them. I do like calamari---not just breaded type at happyhour! I like the steaks too if cooked quick enough to not become a new pair of shoes.
                            I had octopus at the mexican restaurant the other day, sauteed with shrimp, scallops garlic and butter....the taste was fine but the octopus has a rubbery part and a squishy part, not my favorite....in fact the rubber was fine, the mush-squish part was nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by bUMbLeB View Post
                              I made eggplant! I never knew what to do with them before, and now I love them!

I just don't even have the words to tell you how good it tasted! Should... have sent... a poet.
                              We love egg plant, You can cut them in half lengthwise, scoop out a little of the insides and stuff with a meatloaf type mixture, we add tons of garlic, an egg or two to keep it together, shredded onion and carrot. Last time we used part beef and part buffalo. It was great.

You can also cube it up and make an italian type sauce with toms, mushrooms, onions, meatballs....good stuff.

You can slice it and coat with egg and then almond flour and garlic and parm cheese and fry like egg plant parmesean, serve with a marinara sauce over the top, motzerella if you can handle the dairy

We also cube it up and saute with mushroms and onions and toss with pesto

OR cube up and roast with oil and garlic.

Comment

Working...
                              X