Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple recipes? Going apple picking on Sunday

Hey guys,
    I'm going apple picking on Sunday in Wisconsin. What are your favorite primal apple recipes? I'm totally open to any ideas because, seriously, there's only so much fresh apple sauce I can make (and by apple sauce I mean stewing chunks in a pot with spices. Yum!)

I have one on my blog (link in sig) for apple butter. I should have a recipe up for baked apples soon as well.

Comment

last weekend i made shish-kabobs with chicken wrapped in bacon, sweet potato, and apple wedges. that made for a happy mouth.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I like sliced apples with some raw, chunky almond butter on it.

My mom also makes a great apple crisp with them. You can't go wrong with fresh-picked apples! Any idea what type you're getting?

Comment

Apple, Macadamia and Gorgonzola Stuffed Pork Chops with Cherry Reduction Sauce

Mashed Rutabaga & Apple

Curried Cream of Cauliflower and Apple Soup
          My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
          My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

I posted a recipe for baked, stuffed apples with blackberries earlier. Would be yummy with yoghurt or heavy cream (if you do dairy)!
            La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

last sunday I picked 25lbs of apples. I sliced, & sprinkled cinnamon on top, than dehydrated them. Took all weekend, but I have a shit load of apples vacumm sealed for the fall. I might have to go again so i make winter. Its hard not to eat them all
              "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

haven't posted the recipe myself yet, but i've been enjoying this lately:

5041175239_861da91c.jpg

1 cooking onion, 1 apple, 2 slices bacon, few portobellos (optional): fry bacon until almost done. add onion, then apple; cook until onion is carmelized. add mushrooms if using; cook until everything melds together. delicious!
                And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

My father grows apples (cookers and eaters) - though you take your life in your hands picking 'em - the wasps ALWAYS seem to get there first! Not good when you're allergic (not in an anaphylaxis kinda way (the only time I had that was when I swallowed one aged about 5 (it was on my ice cream and I didn't notice!)) but the stung limb will swell up to about 5 times its size and remain that way for about a fortnight! Piriton does b*gger all!)

They've not managed to get all the plums this year, though!
                  La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

someone on here suggested this to me and I've been eating it pretty regularly ever since: Apples fried in bacon fat!
                    I just slice up the apple and toss it into a hot pan with the fat and sprinkle it with a little pumpkin pie spice (I like the ginger so I use pumpkin spice, but you could use apple pie spice or just cinnamon). flip when the bottom starts to get soft and serve with the leftover grease pored back on top. also good with a little whipped cream.

Comment

This recipe was featured on a cooking segment on one of our local news programs. It calls for ginger gold apples but I'm planning on using whatever local apples I get. I also substituted almond flour for the cup of bread crumbs and maple syrup for the brown sugar. Haven't made this yet but it looked so good on the demo.

Ginger Gold Apple Meat Loaf

Ingredients:

-- 1 Onion, Small Dice
                      -- 1 tsp Chopped Garlic
                      -- butter or bacon fat for sautéing onion & garlic
                      -- 1/2 Cup almond flour
                      -- 1 Egg Beaten
                      -- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
                      -- 1 Cup Apple Sauce (Made with Ginger Gold Apples)
                      -- 1 Cup Diced Ginger Gold Apples
                      -- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
                      -- 1 lb Ground Beef
                      -- 1 lb Ground Pork

Procedure:

1) Preheat oven 350
                      2) Heat a sauté pan and lightly sauté garlic and onion in a little butter or bacon fat until translucent.
                      3) Combine sautéed onion, garlic, almond flour, beaten egg, apples, black pepper, salt, applesauce, pork & beef in large bowl.
                      4) Shape into a loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees about 1 1/2 hours or until an internal temperature of 155 degrees.

Mustard Glaze:

-- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
                      -- 2 TBS Dijon Mustard
                      -- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup

1) In a saucepan combine apple cider vinegar, mustard and maple syrup; heat until well blended.
                      2) Every 1/2 hour while the meatloaf is cooking baste with mustard glaze

From a recipe by Chef: Joe Brenner
                      312/149/150

Comment

I wonder how the peach clafouti in the PB cookbook would be with apples? Looks like that would be very tasty and apple pie-ish. Planning on trying that this month.
                        312/149/150

Comment

here is my recipe for apple upside down cake. so freakin yummy!
                          http://eatthecookie.wordpress.com/20...ide-down-cake/

Comment

My fav. treat right now..1/2 apple diced, 1 TB raw butter, 2 TB almond butter ..
                            pop in micro for 1.5 mins or tell apples are soft, stir and eat yummo

Comment

Working...
                            X