Baked sweet potato fries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked sweet potato fries

What can I do to make these as crispy as possible? I'm guessing you've got to get some of the moisture out. Made some tonight with a nice spicy rub on them. They tasted great but would like them crispier. I baked them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes a side.

Fry them?

Comment

Uh, the point is I don't want to fry them.

Comment

Here's a previous post on this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...e-french-fries

I haven't tried any of the suggestions, but plan to this weekend. Good luck.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

uhh why would you avoid frying them...butter/tallow + sweet potato= very healthy filling meal
          Get on my Level
          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

You could dehydrate them. Basically this is like roasting them at a low temperature, but you can drive out more moisture since you cannot burn them. I think you would want to bake them for a least a few minutes first though.

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
              uhh why would you avoid frying them...butter/tallow + sweet potato= very healthy filling meal
              I agree with you. When I eat sweet potato home fries I am satisfied for hours.

I used to be an apple freak but now that I've found sweet potatoes I almost don't care about fruit anymore.

Comment

Dehydrating is great, however you have to par boil them 1st, or else you get suckie dry chips that are not very appetizing. & it take all night. I dehydrated cooked spagetti squash as an experiment, turned out pretty good. Like spiderweb crackers. no seasonong. kind of a little sweet(only if your primal) CW's would never stomach them plain. I have never gotten sweet potato fries crisp (not burnt) by baking them.
                "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

I've double-fried them in lard before, and they came out pretty crispy and very delicious
                  Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

i haven't had luck frying them the same way as regular potatoes - it's like they never get crispy; just more & more soggy. I've had luck getting them to crisp up baking them on a rack over top a cookie sheet, though, so maybe give that a try?
                    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by MariaNYC View Post
                      I've double-fried them in lard before, and they came out pretty crispy and very delicious
                      What is double fried?

Comment

Originally posted by ihugtrees View Post
                        What is double fried?
                        It's in that link in an earlier post. Basically you fry them. Wait an hour or 8...then fry them again. Mega-crispiness ensues.

Comment

I have nothing against frying them in lard/tallow, just looking for easy and simple.

Comment

Working...
                          X