Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anyone that likes beef but doesn't like bison?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anyone that likes beef but doesn't like bison?

I'm thinking of cooking the Shanks a Lot recipe from the PB cookbook. It would be my first experiment with bison. From what I've read, bison tastes like a richer, sweeter beef, so I'm pretty sure I'll like it. But before I sink all that money into the bison shanks, I thought I'd ask if anyone doesn't like it?

(I know, I know, it would probably make more sense to cook a small amount of ground bison as the first experiment, but that bison shanks recipe sounds so darned good).
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Bison is my top favorite meat available in the local supermarket. Usually always grass fed and most often local. At least for me in Oklahoma. It is tasty and you can do anything that is done with beef with it and most people won't know---or care. It is good.

Another local supermarket meat that can be counted on to be "clean" is turkey breast. Not as much flavor as the juicy, greasy, legs and thighs but not usually pesticide-laced so much.

I see that you are in Washington. Check around for a butcher shop serving wild game and try some elk.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

I like bison very much. It doesn't taste very different from beef to me. The local grass-fed bison I get is much leaner than most beef, however, so you have to account for that in cooking. I don't find the ground meat sticks together as well for making hamburgers, compared to fattier beef. (I've only ever used it ground and in steaks, got no clue what that means for a shank!)

Comment

beef i can eat plain even groudn beef and enoy the hell out of it. i use bison for things like meatballs, i usually take grounded bison with green onion/garlic and a shot of cumin & red pepper, sea salt

bison, to me is more gamey like deer so what you cook with it you need to expect that flavor in it. it lends itself well with earthy food like swiss chard IMO
        Get on my Level
        http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Well rats, Whole Foods didn't have bison shank or even beef shank. Just veal shank (which I'm not willing to eat) or lamb shank (which I'd probably love but my husband doesn't like even mild lamb cuts).

So I have a buffalo chuck. I think I'll add a beef oxtail in the hope of building up the flavor I was expecting to get from the shank.
          Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
          Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I love ground bison, haven't had it any other way yet but I'm on the hunt!
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I love bison. The different cuts taste and act differently, just as they do with beef. Even different grades of ground bison have different flavors.

Comment

Before primal when we wanted a special treat to cook at home we would splurge for bison meat for burgers YUM! Even then I recognized how much better of a meat it was, now I know why!!! Get some bison and enjoy

Comment

You might try the lamb anyhow. I don't like grilled or roasted lamb much, as a rule, but stewed lamb is a totally different story.

Comment

I love bison meat. For my chili, I use sirloin, buffalo, and lamb. D***ed if it isn't tasty. I prefer it to beef, actually, but I'm too cheap to spring for it that often.
                    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

We make the Shanks a Lot recipe with beef shanks and it's one of our favorite meals. The sauce is very flavorful, so I think it'd be a good one to have with bison, since you have something to "cover up" the meat flavor.

I got some bison meat for burgers and I couldn't tell any difference between that and our grass-fed ground beef. Since we have so much of the grass-fed beef, I just use that.
                      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Are bison fattened up in feed lots like cattle? Or do they spend their lives in grass? I driven past a lot of feed lots, never seen a buffalo there.

Comment

I've only had it ground, but it just tastes like good quality beef to me.

Comment

I love the flavor of beef and I have eaten plenty over the past 50 plus years. Nevertheless, I find that if I substitute ground bison for beef recipes that call for lean ground beef, I end up with a better tasting result. It is also a healthier choice with lower cholesterol. Costco and other supermarkets carry ground bison. Failing that, I have relied on Internet ordering from High Plains Bison ( www.highplainsbison.com ) for the past several years because they provide both grass-fed and grass/grain-fed products. Also, whether I am making meatloaf or meatballs, I prefer to soak a couple of slice of bread in milk to breadcrumbs. Itís a good use for my home-made bread as it starts to get stale. For a "sweeter", moister, and lower cholesterol result, I substitute bison for the beef and use ground veal in three parts bison to one part veal.

Comment

Working...
                            X