primal roux? and I'm not talking kanga

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• primal roux? and I'm not talking kanga

any suggestions on making a roux? Is almond flour a good substitute? Or would you suggest something else?

Almond flour does work well. I have tried coconut flour, but in a creamy sauce it can be a bit grainy. Almond flour blends in well and keeps the sauce more smooth.

Comment

I would not do a roux. I would use a different thickener, such as xanthan gum or arrowroot, and/or use heavy cream or butter. If you are making gumbo, some recipes use filé powder (ground sassafras leaves) + okra to thicken it rather than a roux.

If you post your recipe I could make more concrete suggestions.
      My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
      My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

it was actually for japanese curry that calls for adding a roux after you have cooked the meat and vegetables. The roux itself calls for butter, flour and curry powder(garam masala)

Comment

I use kuzu to thicken.

Comment

Originally posted by kansaiguy View Post
            it was actually for japanese curry that calls for adding a roux after you have cooked the meat and vegetables. The roux itself calls for butter, flour and curry powder(garam masala)
            Uhhhhhh....Curry Powder is not the same as Garam Masala. They are both blends of spices; but totally different in flavor

Comment

I know - most of my sauces used a roux and I do miss them. I am tending to use just cream and reduce it to a thick sauce, or to use arrowroot mixed with wine to thicken the sauce. SOMETIMES I'll use cornflour - it is only a tiny amount, rarely, but it does make a good sauce! But a flour based roux is now out totally.

Haven't tried almond flour - but I will now that it has been mentioned.

Comment

Egg yolks.
                312/149/150

Comment

sour cream added at last min..

Comment

If you are making curry, why not use coconut milk instead of a roux?
                    Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

Working...
                    X