Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberries & Cream (like ice cream)

I hope this is allowed cuz I just ate it lol

I used 1/3 cup heavy cream and mixed it with 2 packs of xylitol, you can use whatever sweetner you use

and then mixed in about 1/3 cup fresh blueberries and poured into a small remekin(think about 1/2 cup size) froze for a bit over a hour and ate!

So rich and creamy! sort of like ice cream! yum

now I hope it isn't a big NO NO!

xoxox Darlene

I had blueberries with only cream y'day, it tasted great. Where do you get heavy cream. I haven't been able to find any in the stores that didn't have carageenan. I had to use the cream that was floating at the top of my raw milk.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and ditch the xylitol and use frozen, unsweetened blueberries. They are plenty sweet when frozen, and as a bonus, the cream will freeze on contact.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

we can't have carageenan?

I haven't checked my label for this but I got it

at my QFC store.

ok will try without xylitol next time

I just had a bunch of fresh blueberries I needed to use up xoox Darlene

Comment

Sprinkle some cinnamon on the cream in place of the xylitol. I think you'll like it!

Comment

oh yes. blueberries n cream, blackberries n cream, peaches n cream.

I found a heavy cream without carageenan at Whole Foods and I believe the brand name is Clover Farms. The only ingredient listed is cream.

Comment

Personally I'd probably use the xylitol too. I sometimes use erythritol, but more often stevia.

My store brand heavy cream doesn't have careageenan either. I haven't used heavy cream in a while after my discovery of coconut milk.

Comment

I'm only seen it listed as heavy whipping cream in most stores. But it's just great without anything added over berries.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                Current weight: 199
                Goal: 145

Comment

I think the sooner we all get off of sweeteners in general, the better.

Comment

@primalgoddess: Mark is a blueberry proponent. I've found them disastrous for weight loss, even in moderation, even w/o cream! Too many sugar carbs. But yeah, if you can deal with all that, a lot healthier than commercial ice cream. And I won't diss you for the Xylitol!

@Primalchild: Yeah, sure, but does it really matter? Our bodies are geared to liking - loving? - sweet things, so why not honor that and not deprive if the use is minimal and logical. Although some religious and dietary sects would equate suffering with saintliness, I don't.

Xylitol: An alcohol sugar, natural from birch trees. Kills mouth bacteria. Some calories, no insulin reaction.

Erythritol: Another alcohol sugar. No calories for all practical purposes. No insulin reaction.

Stevia: A natural extract, some aftertaste. Heat stable. (I just learned that and might try it next time in a BBQ sauce. Last sauce I used Splenda because it is heat stable.)

All things in moderation.

Carageenan is a seaweed extract to thicken the cream. No big deal, that's for sure. W/o lots of investigation perhaps that's how they get "heavy" cream. I always wondered how cream could be a mix of molecular weights! Guess not.

Comment

well I feel I have to live and don't want to totally deprive myself of anything good once in awhile or I will get pissed off and quit lol

I just know me, and I don't think using a bit of xyitol (from birch trees) once in a while is going to kill me. (esp considering how well I have cleaned up my whole way of eating over this past year!) Just my humble opinion.

I weighed today( I know I know) but I was tempted and I am down 3 pds ,,,doing this PB the first week!

and I am on a short course (8 days) of Prednisone for my back. so that is pretty good, I wasn't losing at all and them whamo. so that is great.

I think blueberries are amazing health foods and very good for your body esp females.......it is the nuts I have to look out for

Comment

I don’t want to hijack the thread but since were on the topic of yummy berry desserts here’s one I love. I got the idea from a passage in Mark’s book or off the Forum here somewhere and then modified a little. Here it is.

4 lg. strawberries hulled and quartered (12 pcs when your done)

¼ cup blueberries (or any other favorite berry of yours)

1 ½ tbl. Mascarpone cheese

1 tsp. honey

I make it look fancy by placing the strawberries around the perimeter of the bowl, fill in the hole with the blueberries, put the cheese on top and drizzle the honey.

Did I mention I LOVE IT! (Thanks for the super idea Mark!)

Sorry, I know it’s a little off topic but it’s one of those “too good not to share” ideas. Enjoy!

P.S. can’t wait to try the ice cream for myself.

Comment

>OTB

What I mean is that when you get out of the habit of adding something sweet to your food, the taste of the food itself becomes wonderful and you'll probably find that you don't need to add anything.

Comment

You know, I've never had mascarpone cheese. What is that exactly?

Comment

Primalchild, I got the drift. But OTOH, food w/o the (modests amounts of) sweetener isn't morally superior. Some things like K.C. style BBQ sauces must have some sugar in them to carmelize, which is separate from sweetening. That recent batch I made used Splenda to sweeten and brown rice syrup (mostly maltose) to carmelize. Yum.

I know what you mean though about discovering the real flavors. I've always saturated my salads with goo, but had to stop that for my diet. I discovered that blue cheese crumbles fit that role and yet stand aside from the flavors of the greens.

Comment

Working...
                              X