Roast breakfast!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roast breakfast!

I thought I'd post this because it jsut occurred to me last night and it's such a great timesaver (forgive me if this is obvious to everyone else, I just get excited when I think I've 'discovered' something )

Last night I got a couple of strips of pork belly out of the freezer to defrost overnight and have at breakfast. But I was thinking about all the hassle in the morning, and the fact that belly is much better roasted than grilled, and it came to me...

So I set the oven to come on at 6.30am at 180C, put the frozen belly on a tray with some broccoli and voila! Beautiful roasted pork belly and fatty broc at 7.30, no hassle, and some left over for lunch.

I can see me doing this a lot. I'm big on roasting. And easy mornings.
    My primal journal
    You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
    In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

So it's at room temp all night?

Comment

It's defrosting all night.

Comment

No, it was frozen when it went in, so it would probably take 4-5 hours to defrost. (Besides, I live on the west coast of scotland, so room temperature *is* fridge temperature )
        My primal journal

Comment

Oops! You're quicker than me Piscator!
          My primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by racingsnake View Post
            No, it was frozen when it went in, so it would probably take 4-5 hours to defrost. (Besides, I live on the west coast of scotland, so room temperature *is* fridge temperature )
            Well, the inside is frozen most of the night. It's the surface that grows bacteria when thawing at room temp. But if your room temp is 40F/4.5C or less, I bet you have warm jammies

Comment

so room temperature *is* fridge temperature )
              Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by avocado View Post
                It's the surface that grows bacteria when thawing at room temp.
                Yep, and that's about to get zapped by the oven so... perfect!
                "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                  Yep, and that's about to get zapped by the oven so... perfect!
                  Unless it's staph poisoning, which produces toxins. Odorless, not destroyed by cooking.

Comment

Meep. Hmm. Any way around that that could still result in a morning roast?
                    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

4 hours at room temperature is the FDA-limit for meat (don't have a reference for that, but I'm quite sure of it). Which means 4 hours is safe for all practical purposes, so I wouldn't be terribly worried about 8 hours defrosting in a cool kitchen, but defrosting it in the fridge would be better.
                      Last edited by PatrickF; 09-22-2010, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Avocado, you're giving me the jitters! I have always defrosted meat at room temperature (even though I read on several sites that 'you're not supposed to') and I have never, ever made anyone ill with my cooking. My feeling is that as long as it was fresh when frozen, a few hours at around 15C is not going to cause problems. At least it hasn't so far. I guess we all have our own level of acceptable risk.
                        My primal journal

Comment

I'd be more concerned about an unattended oven!
                          I used to have an old 60's oven with a timer like that, allegedly so you could come home from work to your hot dinner, never dared use it....

Personally?
                          In Yorkshire between about September and April I have had food out of the fridge for days (eg a pot of soup) and been fine. Not recommending it for anyone with decent heating systems! I am more careful when catering for others I also sniff test!

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickF View Post
                            4 hours at room temperature is the FDA-limit for meat
                            Oh, well if the FDA recommends it, I'd put it in a hot oven in 3 hours 45 minutes and THEN take my FDA approved Oxycontin.

Sorry Patrick, I don't mean to demean your input - I just couldn't pass up a jab at the FDA.

Comment

Avocado, you're giving me the jitters! I have always defrosted meat at room temperature (even though I read on several sites that 'you're not supposed to') and I have never, ever made anyone ill with my cooking. My feeling is that as long as it was fresh when frozen, a few hours at around 15C is not going to cause problems. At least it hasn't so far. I guess we all have our own level of acceptable risk.
                              It's just standard food safety guidelines. As you say, feel free to choose your own risk level.

I just wanted to give info so that risk level is chosen with knowledge of some factors I had a feeling were not known: (1) the reason thawing at room temp is considered bad is because the surface is thawed right quickly, leaving warm for long periods, even if the interior is not, (2) not all food poisoning can be smelled, and (3) not all food poisoning is caused by live organisms and can therefore occur from cooked foods.

Comment

Working...
                              X