How to cook steak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cook steak?

I got my first ever steak today from the farmer's market - a Porterhouse steak. I've never eaten one before, let alone cook it. I know I can google but I thought I'll ask all of you, how do I cook steak?

If I don't have a grill, my preferred method is broiling at 450-500F. Five minutes on one side (for average thickness), flip and broil another five, call it good!

Comment

Hey maba. I had a horrible time learning how to cook steak (still a work in progress). What seems to work is slow cooking or if bbq'ing, lower heat and longer. That way it won't come out like a piece of old shoe leather. Porterhouse is a good one. We bbq'ed that at my brother's house last week and it was delish. He did low heat and left it just barely pink.

Comment

heat up some cast iron, sear for 2 minutes on one side, flip, repeat, done...nice and rare

Comment

Gotta disagree, Diabetes. While everyone likes their steak done differently, well done is not the way to go. I, too, still have to work too hard to get a nice medium-rare, but here is the general ticket:

You want your coals hot, and ideally, a foot or more below the grill. This prevents flareups that cause more flareups, a positive feedback loop. Cook until the juice starts to come out of the top. Make sure the bottom isn't charring. Turn over when that juice shows.

I confess I still can't do the "doneness" test by pushing on the meat, I still have to make a slit to look.

A good alternative if you have a good hood fan over your stove is an old fashioned cast iron ribbed pan. Mine's square and it makes as good a steak as all the work firing up the grill. Add a bit of smoke sauce if you wish while cooking.

Salt, pepper, yum, yum. Cow, pure and simple.

Comment

I use a George Foreman grill for most of the meat I cook. 5-6 minutes leaves a typical steak a little pink.

When I cook over fire, a tip I learned is to cook over coals, never flame.

Always rest your meat after cooking, before cutting and eating. This will help seal in the juices. Anywhere from 3-5 minutes for a burger to 15-20 minutes for a large roast.

The best meat book I have is "The River Cottage Meat Book," by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Here is his website: http://www.rivercottage.net/

Comment

George Foreman grill is SO easy.

Is it possible to saute it in a pan, like chicken? How do you know when it's done?

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Steve Raichlen is the man! Go to barbecuebible.com and you'll see all of his "tips and techniques" right on the website! His show on public television is awesome too (yes I'm a PBS nerd).

You are what you eat,
                and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Here's some easy to digest info for steak cooking:

http://www.lobels.com/recipe/PerfectSteak.htm

I cook steaks on the BBQ and my wife and I love it so much, we can't even think of experimenting with any other method

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                  Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                  Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Jess, the reason my pan is good for steaks is that it has raised ribs. That allows juices to drip off and evaporate. W/o them, they boil up under the steak and change the flavors, in my opinion.

Best BBQ site on the web: www.amazingribs.com .

Comment

I have a grill pan that I cook most of my meat on, though I love them grilled and done to medium rareness. Mmmm.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                      Current weight: 199
                      Goal: 145

Comment

I've gotten much better at this lately, I was also horrible at it previously.

1. kosher salt -- this is what it was made for -- the meat on both sided generously. Let it sit for while the grill heats up.

2. light the grill, get it good and hot.

3. when hot brush the salt off the meat -- this is where the texure of kosher salt is important, because you will still be able to see it and brush it off.

4. brush some oil on the grill.

5. place the steak on the grill at a 45degree angle.

6. don't touch it for 2 min.

7. turn 90 degrees.

8. don't touch it for 2 min

9 flip and repeat steps 5-8

let the meat rest on a cutting board while you make your salad.

Enjoy. It will be medium rare.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

I guess I'm still a little scared of rare. The one we had last week was the rarest I've had to date and I admit it was probably one of the better ones I've had. Baby steps...

Comment

It depends partly on the quality of the beef and how it's been kept. It's less tough if it's been well-hung. (Game used to be hung till it was high.) It's more difficult to find aged meat nowadays - I suppose it costs to keep it in storage.

You get less shrinkage with lower heats, but searing it causes the browning on the surface, which gives the taste people value.

I have used one of those grill devices in the past. They're sold on the basis that they let the fat off, in the mistaken belief that "artery-clogging saturated fat" is unhealthy. Still, I guess some fat runs out anyway. I'm a bit leery of using mine, however, since I read that non-stick chemicals have even been found in newly born babies, and that there's reason to believe they interfere with pathways in the brain. I've suppose there's nothing definite there, but it's back to my well-seasoned cast-iron pan for me - which seems to work very well anyway.

Cooks usually recommend that you don't salt the meat before cooking, because that draws the juices; you can season it with pepper first; and some people rub it all over its surface with a cut clove of garlic. One Australian chef recommends using a dry pan and instead brushing the steak all over with olive oil. That seems to work, too. i guess one has to experiment with different techniques and see.

It will benefit from brief resting, although obviously not as long as you'd rest a joint. Brief frying, followed by 5 minutes or so in a very low oven would probably do, but it depends very much on your own tastes - and your equipment.

I'm too lazy to have looked into sauces for steak. If you're not frightened of eating too much meat, unlike the average person, you probably want to look into that - because a large piece of meat, nice as it is when you start into it, can get a bit "same - y" by the time you've got to the end of it. A sauce adds a bit of interest. There are some very simple ones that start by deglazing the pan with red wine.

Comment

In France, we eat our steaks "blue" (nearly raw) and they are very tender. We do not put any seasoning before cooking the meat, because it diminishes its tenderness. Just 2-3 minutes on each side on an iron pan, salt and pepper only once it is taken away from the fire. With some chopped parsley or thyme and garlic as a company, it can be very primally tender, raw, and delicious.

Comment

Working...
                              X