Sweet potato gnocchi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet potato gnocchi

I'd like to try making something like this. Obviously I'd need to find a primal-friendly substitute for the 2 cups of flour. I was thinking coconut flour or almond flour, but figured it might not be as simple as that--taste-wise, as well as the fact that coconut flour, especially, tends to be drier, so a 1:1 substitution might lead to undesirable results in the final product...

Anyone tried this before (or something similar) and have any suggestions? Thanks!
    Check out my blog here.

Sweet potato flour maybe? I've not tried making anything that needed to have flour substituted for quite a while. If I did need a flour that's what I would try to find.
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I don't think coco or almond flour would work. They don't have the starchy properties. Rice flour + potato starch work if you don't mind using the rice flour. Maybe potato flour + potato starch if you don't want the rice flour?

Here's a recipe for gluten free potato gnocchi to give you some ideas. Possibly you could use the sweet potato instead of the white in the recipe.
      312/149/150

Comment

my boyfriend and I are both SERIOUS pumpkin lovers, so I was planning on making these http://diadesigns.com/blog12/2009/10...mpkin-gnocchi/ in October. pumpkin and sweet potato, what could be better?

ETA: I'd obviously use real butter not "vegan spread"

Comment

Moonablaze, those look delish! That is a great idea to have these for Halloween with them being orange. I wonder if they would be too bland with just pumpkin, sweets and starch and if they might need the egg, butter/oil and a little salt? Might have to start playing around with the recipes before then.
          312/149/150

Comment

I'd go with just the pumpkin sweets and starch, and maybe a little salt, then add the butter as a sauce. Classic gnocchi doesn't have any butter, oil or egg in it, and I'm of the opinion that you should use as few substitutions as necessary (I think the egg might make it too dense)

Comment

Thanks. My mom used to make gnocchi (she made the dough and I did the shaping) but I never paid attention to what she did. I used to make my own pasta pre-PB but never gnocchi.
              312/149/150

Comment

I was very excited when I saw a thread about gnocchi! I love primal eating but I admit I miss the doughy-ness of gnocchi. I have also been thinking for some time about making some sort of primal perogies. I'm of Ukraine background and perogies are at every family gathering. Does anyone have any suggestions for making a primal perogie? Would something similar to the gnocchi recipe work?

Comment

Thanks for all the input, folks. I think I'll see if I can find some sweet potato flour. Seems like the best bet... And moonablaze, those do look pretty awesome. Let us know how they turn out.
                  Check out my blog here.

Comment

Originally posted by moonablaze View Post
                    Classic gnocchi doesn't have any butter, oil or egg in it
                    Most gnocchi recipes I've made require an egg, including "classical" ones. I'm sure some don't, but like any pasta, it'll vary region by region.

Comment

Originally posted by moonablaze View Post
                      I'd go with just the pumpkin sweets and starch, and maybe a little salt, then add the butter as a sauce. Classic gnocchi doesn't have any butter, oil or egg in it, and I'm of the opinion that you should use as few substitutions as necessary (I think the egg might make it too dense)
                      Not to be a jerk, but a couple of things to consider here. 1) - this recipe calls for rice flour which is not primal. 2) Almost all gnocchi recipes call for egg. It's the binding agent. Classic italian and roman gnocchi are made from semolina flour, potato, and egg.
                      yep!

Starting Weight (July 2010) - 235
                      Goal Weight - 200
                      Current Weight - 216.8

Comment

Originally posted by FLKirkland View Post
                        Not to be a jerk, but a couple of things to consider here. 1) - this recipe calls for rice flour which is not primal.
                        That's why I suggested potato flour/potato starch.
                        312/149/150

Comment

Is potato flour primal? I'm still learning...
                          yep!

Starting Weight (July 2010) - 235
                          Goal Weight - 200
                          Current Weight - 216.8

Comment

Well, potatoes are primal so I think potato flour would be a good option. It depends upon how far you are taking your primal food though. Let's face it, gnocchi doesn't grow on trees. Most of us don't live in caves either though.
                            312/149/150

Comment

Working...
                            X