Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PB&J...? Uh...Primal Blueprint and Jelly.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PB&J...? Uh...Primal Blueprint and Jelly.

In my past CW ways, I would often turn to a PB&J sandwich with some skim milk as a snack or quick meal.

Does anyone have a primal version of the old classic for an occassional indulgence?

I've got cashew butter and almond butter so those would be the obvious replacements for the Peter Pan mess. And I was planning on using thawed and mashed frozen berries for the jelly.

My quandry is a primal "bread" that would go with it. Any recipes or links?

TIA.

BTW, I'd drink it with full-fat or coconut milk now!
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

Spinach bread maybe?

Impressed with you creativity for the other substitutions!

Comment

Put it all on a banana.

Or you can make almond meal pancakes.
      - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Comment

Spinach bread is such an awful suggestion for that, hahaha. Spinach with nut butter and berries? haha. Sorry. The idea just makes my stomach turn over a bit :P

I agree on the banana bit as a good suggestion, but I've heard there are great "breads" on Elanas Pantry's site you could try. She has everything from a nut bread, to "simple bread" to speciality breads with cranberries and such. I'm sure you could make a loaf on the weekend to make quick meals/snacks on the go!

Comment

You could try these: http://cavemanfood.blogspot.com/2009...-crackers.html
          Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Originally posted by jqbancroft View Post
            Spinach bread is such an awful suggestion for that, hahaha. Spinach with nut butter and berries? haha. Sorry. The idea just makes my stomach turn over a bit :P
            The idea of PB&J turns mine (Limeys eh!)

I bet it would be possible to make banana bread - dessicated coconut, egg, mashed up banana, maybe? Just a thought!

Comment

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
              The idea of PB&J turns mine (Limeys eh!)

I bet it would be possible to make banana bread - dessicated coconut, egg, mashed up banana, maybe? Just a thought!

Bugger all to do with being a 'limey'. I used to LOVE it when I was a kid, but not as much as I used to love PB&J, NOTHING beat my favourite: -

Peanut Butter
              Banana
              Chocolate Spread

All mashed together and then, for added ahem 'deliciousness' golden syrup! Used to think that was lush - especially toasted. Ruined many a toastie maker like that when I was a nipper!

Another variant was PBJC toasted (that's peanut butter, jelly and cheese - yes, that's right, I said CHEESE!!! Cheddar for preference and the 'jelly' HAD to be raspberry!) My mum's late dad used to love cheese and jam sarnies (well jam's almost chutney, isn't it...?) and Mum's inherited that love from him.

Still miss my favourite after-school snack, though - cheese and Marmite toasties! I've got a large jar of Marmite in the cupboard and I still indulge in a heaped teaspoon every now and then (I did eat a whole 500g jar in 2 days once. No, I'm NOT kidding - I'm a Marmite maniac, me! ADORE the stuff! )

Does that make me even weirder...?
              La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

It's not primal...but I use Ezekiel Bread as part of my "20%" indulgences. It is high protein and fiber, and the grains are sprouted, which helps reduce the negative impacts.

It makes a heck of an almond butter and no-sugar jelly (or banana) sandwich.

Comment

if you're down with dairy, you can also make oopsie rolls.

this flax bread is also tasty and is also excellent without the flax.
                  sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

When I need a quick snack and feel like kind of using my 20%, I have "PB&J without the bread." I scoop up a spoonful of peanut butter (you could use almond butter, but that's too dangerous for me to have in the house! My husband's the usual peanut butter eater) and then dip it in the jelly jar (reduced sugar from TJs, no fake sugars, so less sugary than the usual stuff but still has some added sugar) and take a little bite. I continue dipping and eating until the peanut butter's gone from the spoon. Weird, I know, but oddly delicious

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Golf View Post

My quandry is a primal "bread" that would go with it. Any recipes or links?
                      the pancakes from TPB cookbook. Made half with coconut flour, half almond meal.

Cook low and slow to avoid burning outside and gooey insides. When done right, they're phenominal!

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Pancake sandwiches- yum! I like the almond flour ones, but the coconut flour ones I have tried have not been good. Haven't tried half and half. I make a coco flour banana bread and made some pb and J sandwiches w/ it for my son when he went to camp.
                        Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

Any of the breads from Elana's cookbook - sub with half coconut flour instead of all almond and avoid the grapeseed oil and agave she uses. The breads come out well and are grain free.

Since they are full of almond butter though, you might not want to spread on more almond butter to replicate peanut butter , but a primal jelly- take out a package of organic frozen berries, thaw it and blend with some pitted dates. It's thick and spreadable like jam. There's your primal jam.

Elana's bread recipes
                          http://www.elanaspantry.com/recipes/#breads
                          Last edited by Primallady; 09-11-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X