Greens!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greens!

I realize there are so many greens I have never even tried... but I've pretty much NEVER met a vegetable I didn't like. Any thoughts on swiss chard? And does this recipe look really good to anyone but me? Haven't tried it yet but I will for sure!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html

Any other super greens recipes you guys want to share with me, that would be great!
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

I find most Greens to be just skin and bones. Only good for stock

Seriously, have you seen any recipes for Saag. A puree of greens where you can use just about any leafy green
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I really love baby bok choy, I usually just saute it with some garlic and meat:
      http://lowcarbnorthwest.com/?p=236

I made some tasty mustard green this past Sunday:
      http://lowcarbnorthwest.com/?p=332

They're great as leftovers too when you add some broth and a protein (instant soup!)

Comment

swiss chard is my absolute fav. green!!! some evoo on it after it's done mmmmmm...
        the rainbow chard is always pretty;-)
        that recipe looks yum, not a fan of raisins but still yum
        Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

I eat all sorts of greens. My yard looks like it is all weeds, but they are wild greens that I have propagated in a garden. They return every year and are relatively bug and disease free. I still forage for greens too. Sometimes, I will get a "supermarket" type vegetable too. Vegetables are, really, part of the primal blueprint. Note---part, the word is part.
          Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Unrelated, but just for a chuckle.

The word was to eat your colors every day. I was faithful to that. Skittles or M&M's had all the colors in a convenient little bag.
            Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
              I find most Greens to be just skin and bones. Only good for stock

Seriously, have you seen any recipes for Saag. A puree of greens where you can use just about any leafy green
              +1!!!
              Saag (Palak) Paneer (greens+ paneer cheese), and Saag Ghosht (greens+ meat) are two of my favorite curries.

Lodini, I forget. Are you eating dairy? Cause if you are, I'll dig up recipes for them...

Comment

Alice Waters has a lot of great videos in her The Green Kitchen series. If you click on the various chef's names, it shows you the different recipes for various greens and other veg. Oliver Rowe has a video/recipe for sauteed rainbow chard.

For those not familiar with her, green or eco-friendly cooking means adhering to a few basic principles:

* Buying produce from farmers' markets or local food purveyors
                * Eating fruits and vegetables that are in season
                * Growing your own produce
                * Choosing organically raised meat and produce when possible
                * Supporting sustainable agriculture that does not harm the environment
                * Preserving local food traditions
                Last edited by mizski; 09-08-2010, 12:32 AM.
                312/149/150

Comment

This recipe for Spicy Collard Greens was also from the Alice Waters episode. I like this recipe as it has more veg than just the collard greens. I added some of the meat from making the smoked pork broth to the veg mixture too.
                  312/149/150

Comment

That's funny mizski - I was just getting ready to say Collards! In a big pot, sautee some shallots & garlic with 2-3 tbs butter, sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and some red-pepper flakes for 4-5 minutes until onions are translucent. Add collards, and then pour in stock (I prefer beef stock for these) until they almost cover the collards. Add 2 tsp cider vinegar, bring to simmer and let cook for 3-4 hours. A huge side of this with a steak or grilled chicken rocks!
                    yep!

Starting Weight (July 2010) - 235
                    Goal Weight - 200
                    Current Weight - 216.8

Comment

Collards cook in water for 3-4 hours? I don't think I have that much patience for cooking veggies!

Comment

I love chard! Here's an easier one: chop the stems and 1/2 an onion, saute together in lots of butter until soft, then add the green parts and cover until they wilt, salt & pepper. (If you're anti-dairy, bacon fat works too.)

Comment

@avocado - It seems to be traditional in many parts of the US to prepare collards by boiling them to hell. I find that 30 minutes is more than enough, especially if you are used to eating lightly cooked veggies in general.

When it comes to greens, you can't go wrong with sauteeing in some EVOO (or the fat of your choice) with garlic and sea salt. Everything else is just bonus deliciousness! Toss some sesame oil, fish sauce, and soy sauce in to go Asian style; squeeze on some lemon and toss with goat cheese for Mediterranean; or stir in currants, pine nuts, and carmelized onion for a sweet and savory treat.

Also, I like to switch up where I put the greens - sometimes they are a bed for meat, sometimes they are a side dish, sometimes they are a topping. Last night we had smoked trout topped with sauteed arugula and hollandaise. Mmmmmm....
                          The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by avocado View Post
                            Collards cook in water for 3-4 hours? I don't think I have that much patience for cooking veggies!
                            You don't have to cook them that long, but the liquid reduces and concentrates the flavor and makes the collards really tender.
                            yep!

Starting Weight (July 2010) - 235
                            Goal Weight - 200
                            Current Weight - 216.8

Comment

I love rainbow chard and have tried it in the recipe that is available in Mark's Primal Cookbook. It's called "Swiss Chard Frittata" and it's awesome. I make mine spicy with red pepper flakes and add a bit of sausage to the mix. It's like an open-faced omelet (that's it's description in the book). Hope you give it a try!

Comment

Working...
                              X