Bear meat looks good to me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear meat looks good to me.

This is from a feature on exotic meats from "www.cookingissues.com". It includes lion, beaver, whole raccoon, and bear.

No bears down here in Australia but I have an aboriginal friend that hunts koalas and kangaroos for me. Its not as tasty as grass fed cow but its sure way more primal.

Comment

I don't know where I got this idea from but I thought the meat of a carnivore is less healthy for human consumption than that of a herbivore.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
        I don't know where I got this idea from but I thought the meat of a carnivore is less healthy for human consumption than that of a herbivore.
        I always heard that it just doesn't taste as good... that said, lion is the only carnivore on that list.

Comment

I'm not sure what old tv show I saw this on... but at one time bear meat had all sorts of nasties like trichinosis that we're not used to worrying about.

Emergency! ?
          Marcus Welby?
          That MASH Trapper John spinoff?

God only knows.

But I'd be ordering mine "well done" nonetheless.

Comment

I've never been offered bear and can't imagine that's likely to change. I am surrounded by vegans and animal rights types, anyhow.

I did try beef marrow bones for the first time tonight, though. Somehow they had a too slimey texture for me. But, I suppose it is all cultural. I'd probably have a hard time choking down oysters if I hadn't been given them at a rather young age.

Comment

IIRC, the meat from an omnivore, like bear, is going to be greasier and a bit stringy than other meats. That said, I always looked forward to making tamales or barbacoa if I ever got one. (I wonder if almond meal would make a reasonable tamale paste? Hmm...)
              ~ Loving the good life, built the way we want it. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Donk View Post
                No bears down here in Australia but I have an aboriginal friend that hunts koalas and kangaroos for me. Its not as tasty as grass fed cow but its sure way more primal.

Ignore the vegan raw foodist troll (Donk and Durianrider)

Don't let them suck up your time guys. Add them to your ignore list and move along.

Add to ignore by clicking on their names in any of their posts. On the profile page, one of the options (along with pm or send email) is IGNORE THIS USER.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

About 30 years ago six of us went into the woods in Pennsylvania up near the New York border, near a town called Liberty. We went in light. No great luck getting food for three days then one guy scored a black bear. We started wolfing it down that evening. Tasted great when we were really hungry. Stopped tasting so good after we had a bit in the belly.

Grumpy Caveman Re: carnivores not being good for food. The bible doesn't permit consumption of carnivores. The test is split hoof and chewing the cud. Only herbivores do that. Any reason for the ban? Must be but I have no idea. Maybe you heard the carnivore- bad, herbivore- good thing from some bible story.
                  Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

In terms of herbivores being better to eat than carnivores:

I've heard something similar, and the rationale was based on environmental toxins that accumulate in adipose tissue. So, instead of containing toxins accumulated over one lifetime (like a herbivore), the flesh of the carnivore would contain the environmental toxins of every herbivore it ate.
                    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

I would absolutely give it a try.
                      My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

as a hunter i have tried quite a few things.
                        for our palet herbivores definately tastes better. omnivores like racoons and opposums have very strongly flavored meat. What an animal eats does have a big impact on taste. most recipes for those critters involve adding things to kill the tastes such as heavy amounts of bbq sauce and vinegar.

there is also the big issues of parasites such as trichinosis. anything that eats mice is in danger of having trichinosis parasites in the meat. pigs are an example and that the reason to make sure pork is cooked through. typically animals that are vegatarian dont have the same issues with parasites.

another interesting tidbit.. in the US most herbivores that live in hardwood forests have acorns as a substantial part of their diet. Acorns are high in tannin which is anti parasitic. Squirrel meat is some of the safest meat to eat from a parasite perspective.

Comment

Working...
                        X