primal arrowroot powder substitute?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• primal arrowroot powder substitute?

Is there a primal substitue for arrowroot powder? It's in several recipes for baking and such... but it's not really possible to get over here (Norway), and not allowed to ship in from other countries.
    thanks!!! Charlotta

Not allowed? That's so weird. I'm guessing maybe you could find it online somewhere. I don't know of any substitutes. I use arrowroot as a substitute. (For flour as a thickener for sauces.)

Comment

I will continue my search I was using arrowroot for thickener, but I ran out, and I had gotten it in Sweden. That's why I'm trying to find a substitute for the substitute...if there is one

Comment

I cant find arrowroot here..sucks!

Comment

WHAT??? I can't ship you any? that is so bogus.
          I bet there is somewhere in the EU that has it (Germany?)
          That's it Charlotta, I *have* to come visit & smuggle arrowroot in my bag. harrummpphh

Comment

Potato flour also works as a thickener... or even just well mashed potato... great for thickening stews, and gravies and the like.

Comment

@RF, this is more specifically for a "bread" recipe...
              here's the original (for anyone who wants it, is quite good) 1 1/2c almond flour, 3/4c arrowroot powder, 1/4 flax meal, 1/2tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 4 eggs, 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp cider vinegar. Bake in 7in loaf pan @ 350 30-35 min. beautiful golden loaf!

Ok, for my 1st experiment, I subbed 1/2c coconut flour. I added 1/4c oil to compensate for the dryness. (ghee & coconut oil mixed). It did not get as big & fluffy as the original, but it still tastes good warm with blob-o-butter. I was looking in the (meager) market here & wondering about potato flour. Or tapioca flour. I know we tend to stay away from those, but sometimes a primal has to go with what's available. I have some quinoa flour, so I'll try that variation tomorrow. It's still summer & the house is hot from making pickles

Comment

isn't potato flour not primal?? thry have that here, and some corn flour stuff but that's all... I will try it with coconut flour today! I am having a hard time getting the ingredients over here! other than that, it's fabulous:O)

Comment

smuggle arrowroot and almond flour because I can't buy that either for under 20$ for 100grams. that's way toooooo much on a student income! I've been making my own almond flour but it's really course so it doesn't work well with baking, but works fine in cooking... but if I can find a way to make it less course, the kids will also like it

Comment

you can use cornstarch 1:1 to replace arrowroot, if you're not against that sort of thing.

Comment

Hmm... depending on what the shipping is, you could get a friend here in the States, or another country that uses it, to send it to you. As long as they don't open and inspect the pacakage it would work. Might be a tad pricey though, but then again I don't use it a lot, so the cost wouldn't matter if it's lasting forever.

Comment

goodnessdirect (uk site) do the powder..im sure you could order it from there? saying its within the EU. Im after the actual veggie..not the powder..that and gluten free sausage is a nightmare to find here..

Comment

Charlotta, potato flour would be less "primal" but if that's all you can get...
                          My batch with coconut flour wasn't as puffy & bread-like - really dense. But tasty with butter & cheddar
                          Can you get any of the following? Let me know & I will experiment...
                          tapioca flour, potato flour, quinoa flour, flax meal.
                          Meanwhile, we should also dbl-check on shipping stuff into Norway. I can gather a care pack for you
                          You have to share with us how to make the fish balls

Comment

Tonight is "baking for Brandi" night: I make baked goods for a gluten & dairy free friend. So she will be our guinea pig. I made one loaf using 1c quinoa flour instead of 3/4c arrowroot. Batter was thicker, but loaf is puffing nicely. The other loaf is with 3/4c tapioca flour subbing for the arrowroot. This loaf also looks nice. 10 min left to finish baking...

... 15-20 min later: Tapioca loaf looks & smells perfect. Quinoa loaf has slight scent of quinoa flour (blech) but needed 5ish mor min.
                            One problem: 2 different pans. the Tapioca one is in a Baker's Secret pan & popped out perfect. Quinoa loaf in pyrex dish of same size. I only greased it (coconut oil) I should have dusted it too. So the bottom stuck. Not that bad as I had to sample the finished product. Yum!! Also this one had a little too much honey (the top came off the squeezy bottle). So it tastes real similar to a whole grain Orowheat loaf.

there ya go Charlotta!
                            so, there you have it - 3 slight variations for a grain-free sandwich bread. enjoy!
                            Last edited by Peggy; 09-08-2010, 06:07 PM. Reason: bread out of oven

Comment

Originally posted by charlotta View Post
                              I will continue my search I was using arrowroot for thickener, but I ran out, and I had gotten it in Sweden. That's why I'm trying to find a substitute for the substitute...if there is one
                              Kuzu root but it's not for use in baking- will thicken berries and such for a primal fruit topping.

Comment

Working...
                              X