Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Creme Fraiche / Sour Cream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Homemade Creme Fraiche / Sour Cream

    So I put 8 oz of fresh whole cream and a spoonful of organic full fat yogurt together, stirred them and left it partially covered for 16 hrs, then stirred again and put in the fridge.
    Taste: Great! Not as sour as sour cream, a great mild topping.
    Consistency: A bit less solid than sour cream initially, more like a real whipped-cream consistency, but when I put it on my eggs it mostly melted back into cream-like consistency.

    Anyone conquered the consistency issue yet? Maybe it just needs more time on the counter. Creme Fraiche is expensive stuff and if I can get this right, I'll have an awesome "universal" food topping.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  • #2
    Bump - 17 pages on political nonsense (911 mosque) yet nothing on homemade cultured dairy products? Sniff sniff.....
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

    Comment


    • #3
      Aw, I agree with you about that, I just don't know the answer. But it sounds like something I want to try ... after you iron out all the wrinkles

      Comment


      • #4
        I've not tried Creme Fraiche, but I did make an awesome strained goat yogurt with buttermilk culture. I just mixed, I think, a cup of buttermilk in a quart of room temp goat milk, let it sit sealed for a day or so on the counter. It sat in the frig for a while (I forgot about it), which increased the sourness. Once I remembered it was there, I strained it through a gold coffee filter. It's turning out to be a great topping and mix-in.
        Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

        Comment


        • #5
          I just made my first batch of creme fraiche. It couldn't be easier. I used 1 tablespoon of creme fraiche to 1 cup 40% grassfed cream. I left it on the counter overnight and bingo! Creme fraiche, perfect texture, awesome flavor for $2.69 for a pint, about 1/4 the cost of my starter container. I heated the cream to 100 degrees to give the bacteria a head start.

          My favorite use for it so far - toasted thin sliced coconut pecan bread topped ith creme fraiche, capers and salmon. I'm hooked!

          Comment


          • #6
            I've never had crème fraiche. As for sour cream I use plain Greek yogurt.

            Too many funky ingredients in the sour cream around here and the organic variety is priced as if it were gold.

            Comment


            • #7
              about.com says to use a little buttermilk to culture (make sure it's real buttermilk) into 100F pasteurized (not uht) heavy cream. stir it well and leave it in a covered jar in a warm spot for 24 hours. then, let it ripen in the fridge for several hours to continue to thicken.
              my primal journal:
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                about.com says to use a little buttermilk to culture (make sure it's real buttermilk) into 100F pasteurized (not uht) heavy cream. stir it well and leave it in a covered jar in a warm spot for 24 hours. then, let it ripen in the fridge for several hours to continue to thicken.
                That is the recommended method IF you don't have creme fraiche available for your starter.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                  That is the recommended method IF you don't have creme fraiche available for your starter.
                  mmm...i'm really tempted to try this. today is a really crummy day, so i will have to wait until later in the week to buy the ingredients. i wonder what half&half would taste like if it's cultured. it seems like it would be runnier, but then again homemade yogurt can get fairly thick.
                  my primal journal:
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                    mmm...i'm really tempted to try this. today is a really crummy day, so i will have to wait until later in the week to buy the ingredients. i wonder what half&half would taste like if it's cultured. it seems like it would be runnier, but then again homemade yogurt can get fairly thick.
                    One of the Greek yogurts I bought recently has cream added which makes it extra yummy. I think if you culture half and half at room temp you'll get a runny mess. Culture at 110-115 and you'll get yogurt. For one quart of milk ad 1/2 cup yogurt, 2/3 cup powdered milk and you'll get Greek yogurt. There is a site online Fab Frugal Friday http://www.fabfrugalfood.com/frugal-...s-its-a-cinch/ that sets the filled yogurt containers in an empty, no water, crockpot on Keep warm setting with the lid cracked overnight.

                    I can make my own Greek yogurt from whole raw milk for $1.75 a quart. It's a no brainer since I just scored a brand new crockpot at an estate sale for $6.00.
                    Last edited by Adrianag; 02-20-2011, 10:16 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      is this a special crockpot? mine gets very hot, even on the "stay warm" setting (which is lower than the "low" setting), and would certainly melt the plastic as well as kill the bacteria.
                      my primal journal:
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                        is this a special crockpot? mine gets very hot, even on the "stay warm" setting (which is lower than the "low" setting), and would certainly melt the plastic as well as kill the bacteria.
                        I just corrected the post, "low" should have been "keep warm".

                        I haven't tested mine to see what temp it holds, I would do so to make sure it doesn't go above 120 andI wold use glass jars and maybe line the bottom with a cuople of washcloths. There is a second crockpot method which involves heating the milk + culture mix in the bowl, turning it off overnight, wrapping the crockpot in a towel.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                          I just made my first batch of creme fraiche. It couldn't be easier. I used 1 tablespoon of creme fraiche to 1 cup 40% grassfed cream. I left it on the counter overnight and bingo! Creme fraiche, perfect texture, awesome flavor for $2.69 for a pint, about 1/4 the cost of my starter container. I heated the cream to 100 degrees to give the bacteria a head start.

                          My favorite use for it so far - toasted thin sliced coconut pecan bread topped ith creme fraiche, capers and salmon. I'm hooked!
                          I know what I'm doing with my last tablespoon of creme fraiche! As it so happens, I'll have about that much left in the container after breakfast tomorrow, and I bought some whole cream the other day, its sitting in the fridge unopened yet. I use it on mixed berries - I buy those frozen, heat em up for brekkie, big dollop of cream on top and off I go for the day.
                          Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

                          Big Fat Fiasco

                          Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
                            I know what I'm doing with my last tablespoon of creme fraiche! As it so happens, I'll have about that much left in the container after breakfast tomorrow, and I bought some whole cream the other day, its sitting in the fridge unopened yet. I use it on mixed berries - I buy those frozen, heat em up for brekkie, big dollop of cream on top and off I go for the day.
                            You can even reuse the creme fraiche container, just add the warm 100 degree F cream to it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                              You can even reuse the creme fraiche container, just add the warm 100 degree F cream to it.
                              Most excellent idea, thank you
                              Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

                              Big Fat Fiasco

                              Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X