How much coconut milk do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much coconut milk do you use?

I am planning on making some coconut milk smoothies for breakfast here and there. I finally found some coconut milk (I was looking for it in the milk section! Duh!) and I was wondering how much you use in your smoothie recipes. I thought half a can might work fine, but I just wanted some input. Thanks!

My body can't handle too much coconut milk at once, so I usually use 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 cup coconut milk. You can also just use water and coconut milk.

Comment

I use about 1/3 of a cup in each smoothie personally...
      For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

I use coconut cream, not a lot, about 1/2 cup perhaps, and then top with icy cold water. Delish!

Comment

lately i've found that the canned coconut is bothering my belly. i'm pretty sure it's the guar gum they add bec. i do excellent with homemade coconut milk.
          if you want it to be amazingly awesome try this: crack coconut, drain water, put coconut in blanket and slam on concrete (neighbors will stare!), come in and peel shell. put the pieces in a food proc. and run until it has flaked. now add warm water (about 1.5 cups) run again, stop when fluffy in about 30 sec. or so. strain with cheesecloth over bowl and voila! you have delicious coconut milk. of course if you don't have time and can tolerate the small amt. of gums, pick some up. i'm home with my girls so i have plenty of time to be in the kitchen. and to answer your ques., i will eat it a few times a week about 2 cups in my smoothies. oh!!! you could also make it quicker by using already shredded coconut flakes from the store. just follow the last few steps;-)
          -biggest coconut fan ever!!!
          Last edited by shannon; 08-31-2010, 05:02 PM. Reason: forgot somethin' duh
          Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

I use 1/2 a can from a normal sized can, not sure offhand what that is volume wise, probably a cup. Combine that with an equal amount frozen berries, a scoop of whey protein, and a spoon of coconut oil. Amazing.

Comment

My bell also does not tolerate a lot of coconut milk all that well. I now use shredded coconut that I buy from Amazon at 10 cents per serving which gives you 110 calories of fat!

1/2 C coconut milk was the norm when I bought it a lot. I will be making my own coconut milk soon!
              Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Wow you guys use a lot of coconut milk in your smoothies! I use 1T, maybe 2T, at most. Or maybe 1T coconut milk, 1T half and half, then water.

For an Italian soda, again, just 1T coconut milk, plus 1T cream. (For flavor, I add peppermint essence and vanilla.)
                If I don't live my dream, who will?

Comment

I opened my first can of coconut milk today. Smelled like cat food. Still made the pancakes with it. Not really sure if I would want to add that to a smoothie...

Comment

what brand are you using? cat food? weird
                    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

Thank you to everyone for all of the advice! I just made a smoothie with 1/2 cup of coconut milk, some blueberries, and some whey powder. Tastes pretty good so far!

Shannon- thanks for the homemade recipe, I'll have to try that! I like breaking stuff, so I'll be smashing some coconuts on the patio soon!

Comment

very welcome! let us know how it turns out;-)

Comment

Coconut milk has a very high calorie density. Unless I wanted to add on a ton of calories to something I would go easy on it.
                          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Daemon I'm with you. I use a splash in my decaf tea but would rather have a piece of fruit or roasted yam than 1/2 can of coconut milk.

Comment

I know that coconut milk has a high caloric density, and I don't plan on using it daily. The brand I have is 140 calories per 1/2 cup, so I'm not that concerned about it. If I wasn't paying attention and dumped the whole can in the blender, then yes- that would be more calories than I really wanted.

Comment

Working...
                              X