Brownies! (pic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brownies! (pic)

Some of you have probably seen the black bean brownie recipe floating around. Well, I discovered something better: Eden organic black soy beans. Mark says that the whole bean is OK, and the nutrition profile is much better.

1/2 cup serving: 8g carbs, 7g fiber (therefore 1 net carb), 11g protein, 30mg sodium

Regular reduced-sodium canned black beans (same serving size): 17g carbs, 6g fiber (so 11 net carbs), 6g protein, 240mg sodium

RECIPE

Ingredients

-1 (15.5 ounce) can black soy beans
    -3 eggs
    -3 tablespoons oil of choice. You need something liquid to help push the beans through the blender; you could try melting butter or coconut oil, but I haven't tried that myself.
    -1/4 cup cocoa powder
    -1 pinch salt
    -1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    -3/4 cup sweetener of choice
    -1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional but recommended to cover up any beany flavor)
    -1/2 cup any additions you like in brownies (i.e. walnuts, macadamias, roasted peanuts, cacao nibs, dried cherries, dark chocolate chips, etc) (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish.
    2. Rinse the beans in a wire strainer and shake off the water. They do not have to be completely dry.
    3. Combine the beans, eggs, oil, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, sweetener, and instant coffee in a blender; blend until smooth; pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. If your blender isn't great, I found that it's easiest to add half of the beans, the eggs, and the oil to the blender, blend until smooth, then add everything else and blend some more.
    4. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup addition of choice, if using, over the top of the mixture.
    5. Bake in the preheated oven until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 30 minutes.

Each brownie (1/16 recipe) using 0-calorie sweetener:
    65 calories, 5g fat, 3g carbs, 2g fiber (1g net carbs), 4g protein
    Last edited by erica057; 08-30-2010, 06:44 AM.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Is that the camera or my monitor making those look purple, or are those suckers the color of Cookie Monster?

I think these sound delicious but I am not sold on the soy bean part. I think I would much rather use canned black beans before soy beans. This bears further scrutiny... thank you for posting this!

Comment

I though Soy was evil? It's interfers with hormones and stuff?

Here's a better one - with all the benefit of raw cacao - best food on the planet i reckon!

Recipe:
      1C cacao beans
      1C hazelnuts
      1/2 vanilla bean
      1/2C Thai coconut meat
      1/2C coconut oil
      4T cacao butter
      1/2t stevia
      1/2C raw honey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Directions:

Soak hazelnuts in water for 1-2 hours.
      Grind up cacao beans in Vitamix.
      Add to bowl.
      Put soaked hazelnuts through a juice.
      Add to bowl.
      Scrap out coconut meat from 1 Thai coconut.
      (about 1/2C).
      Add to bowl.
      Melt cacao butter as before.

Add in rest of ingredients list.
      Place everything in a food processor.
      Process until smooth.
      Place in a square dessert tin.
      Smooth out flat.
      Place in freezer for 2-3 hours.
      Remove and cut into pieces.
      Store in an air tight container in the freezer.
      Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
      **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Comment

Soy is evil especially if it hasn't been fermented.
        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
          Is that the camera or my monitor making those look purple, or are those suckers the color of Cookie Monster?

I think these sound delicious but I am not sold on the soy bean part. I think I would much rather use canned black beans before soy beans. This bears further scrutiny... thank you for posting this!
          I used my cell phone to take a pic so the color quality isn't great.

You can absolutely substitute regular black beans if you prefer!
          My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

i made these when i was a veggie, they are pretty good!
            sigpic

Comment

What type of sweetener did you use?

Comment

I'll pass on the soy but it does look delicious! I would go for the brownies with raw cacao.
                Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

I made these with black beans instead of soy. Was pretty awesome.

The coffee really masked the taste of the beans I think and they were moist as all hell.

Comment

Welcome to the PB. Soy is poison.
                    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Marisa View Post
                      What type of sweetener did you use?
                      I used granular Splenda this time but I want to try it with prune puree (the baby food kind) as the sweetener...you could use honey or stevia or whatever, too.
                      My primal success story

Comment

My brownies are bean free and definitely soy free. Yuck.

Brownies:

2 cups almond butter, smooth roasted
                        3 eggs
                        cup honey or maple syrup
                        1/2 cup espresso or strongly brewed coffee
                        1 tablespoon vanilla extract
                        1 cup cocoa powder
                        teaspoon salt (a bit more if your almond butter is unsalted)
                        1 teaspoon baking soda
                        1 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts (or other nuts)
                        (dried cherries, etc or chopped dark chocolate are really yummy too!)

Makes a big pan full. You could definitely cut the sweetener down and down and down to further primalize them!
                        The more I see the less I know for sure.
                        -John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                          My brownies are bean free and definitely soy free. Yuck.
                          Do these need to be baked or do you mix everything together and put it in the refrigerator?

Comment

Working...
                          X