Figs!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figs!

Why did anyone ever adulterate them into Fig Newtons!? I've never had them really, except enjoy a few dried ones, but today at Whole Foods they had a sample of Fig's with goat cheese drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette and honey. Oh my wow! The fig was amazing. We bought two packages. I had no idea figs were so delicious!

I will enjoy them plain, I'm sure, but I'm curious if others have a favorite way to enjoy such an enjoyable treat.

They are a good source of minerals, especially calcium.

Comment

I absolutely love figs. I got some a few weeks ago from a farm stand and they were awesome.

Comment

I hate to have to actually ask this, but.....how does one eat a fresh fig? Are there pits? Are they good plain or are they better with something? I've never had one, and I'd like to learn but I sometimes get hung up on foods that I don't exactly know how to approach. (And I LOVE the word fig)
        Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Comment

Just wash and eat! There are seeds, but they are consumed with the fig. I can't think of another fruit that has edible seeds in it like this one But if you google figs, I'm sure you'll see a picture of one opened.

As I mentioned, at Whole Foods they put balsamic vinaigrette, honey, and goat cheese them on. It was pretty good, but I don't care for goat cheese sweet paired with sweet flavors. If you do, you might like that combo.

I also read that putting prosciutto on them or wrapping them in bacon is tasty as well. I found many more ideas from googling. Good luck!

Comment

Srlsy.... you are right that they are much neglected! I went to a barbeque a couple of months ago where they did fresh fig halfs with goat cheese and drizzled with balsamic and maple syrup and OH MY GOD! Lovely!! And seriously decadent...

Somehow with all the processed crapola we eat, we've lost a lot of amazing stuff.
            sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

A friend at work brought some from her tree Friday! Happiness is...or was. Said figs are long gone. :-)
              Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Fresh figs cut into quarters or slices, topped with a full-fat Greek yogurt, a drizzle of honey, and a few chopped walnuts is one my fave desserts. Divine! Though the options above sound lovely, too. And, I'd like to try fresh figs stuffed with blue cheese one day, when I can get my hands on some decent fresh, ripe figs -- hard to come by where I am... *sigh*

Comment

This year my fig tree only produced 1 fig! It was delicious and left me wanting more....

They are divine wrapped in prosciutto and drizzled with olive oil.

Comment

They are divine wrapped in prosciutto and drizzled with olive oil.
                    +1

....but also try the above after roasting them in a very hot oven for 5 minutes. +111
                    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Having spent many summers in the Italian countryside, figs have always been my favourite fruit. I'm in Italy now, and as I type this I could easily head out the door, walk about two minutes to the nearby tree, and pick about ten or fifteen ripe, yellow figs. It's like heaven, but better.

That being said, aside from eating them as they are after a meal, I also eat them during a meal by opening them up and sandwiching fresh salami and a slice of either a stronger parmesan or a mozzarella cheese inside, then closing them up again and eating them like that.

Comment

Originally posted by localad View Post
                        +1

....but also try the above after roasting them in a very hot oven for 5 minutes. +111
                        Or with bacon instead of prosciutto (no olive oil needed).

Comment

I looooove figs! The only problem I have is eating too many! They are nature's candy to me

@uccella: i love the idea of making little sandwiches with them!! i bet the flavor combinations are amazing

here is an appetizer i made recently: Roasted figs with gouda and peanuts

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by jqbancroft View Post
                            I can't think of another fruit that has edible seeds in it like this one
                            Tomatoes.

My fig tree hasn't produced many this year and they're best after the first frost, maybe later this month.

Comment

Figs are amazing. I recently treated myself to some fresh medjool dates though, and almost lost my mind.
                              The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Working...
                              X