Meat Free Times?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat Free Times?

My wife and I are about a week and a half in on "going primal" and so far we're loving it! The food's great, we feel good and already are losing a bit of weight.

I do have one question, as part of our religion (Orthodox Christian) we often fast from meat (except invertibrates), dairy. At this time we usually eat TONS of bread, beans, peanut butter, oatmeal and rice. Does anyone have any suggestions for recipes that stick to primal food that avoid the aforementioned foods?

Thanks in advance!

How long do you abstain from meat for?

Smoothies made of coconut milk, avocado, berries, etc. might get you through it, or green salads topped with whatever invertebrates you eat (oysters? insects?). If you fast for less than two days, I'd say just try a long IF and save yourselves some headaches.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the tip.

Normally, there are a couple days a week set aside for this; however there are periods, such as Great Lent when we go for about 8 weeks.

Just to clarify terms (I'm new), what's an "IF"?

Comment

IF: Intermittent fasting.

Eggs, eggs and more eggs! Heck, I do that a couple times a week without even trying.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, eggs are in the "no-no" category.

Comment

How about lots of non-vertebrate seafood? Shellfish (shrimp, lobster), squid, octopus, clams, oysters.

Comment

When fasting for religious purposes (my family is roman catholic) we eat a ton of seafood. To keep it cheaper, I make lots of soups and seafood stews.
              The more I see the less I know for sure.
              -John Lennon

Comment

I wouldn't be afraid to stick with legumes. Traditional cooking methods deplete the toxins. My Greek Mother-in-law used to cook fakhi (brown lentils) and revithia (chickpeas) regularly. She was still swimming every day, winter included, until run over in her eighties
                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Change your religion? I'm serious. No religious belief is worth trashing your body, is it?

I can't think of a thing you could substitute for meat that would be 100% Primal. Cheese, maybe, but that really doesn't do it for me, and you've said "no dairy." Can you eat eggs?
                  Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                    Change your religion? I'm serious. No religious belief is worth trashing your body, is it?

I can't think of a thing you could substitute for meat that would be 100% Primal. Cheese, maybe, but that really doesn't do it for me, and you've said "no dairy." Can you eat eggs?
                    Shellfish isn't primal? I don't agree with the idea that religious fasting will trash one's body. My family takes fasting very seriously, and so I try to accomodate their beliefs when cooking for them. (Seafood also happens to be delicious!)
                    The more I see the less I know for sure.
                    -John Lennon

Comment

I just don't understand the difference between vertebrate meat and invertebrate meat. It seems pretty arbitrary to me.
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Lenny, for those of us unfamiliar with the tenets of your faith, who would actually like to offer something helpful, would you mind sharing a link to something with the guidelines written out? You can PM me, if you'd like. We'll see what we could brainstorm that might be useful. When I worked as a nanny, I often got calls to work at a Synagogue, and the guidelines during High Holy Days were a little overwhelming for someone who wasn't familiar with the Jewish faith. One of the elders gave me a sheet with the dietary guidelines, and that helped make it easier for me to know what to bring that wasn't going to be disrespectful or harmful to others.

I do love the idea of IF on fasting days, but if you have several days a week, that wouldn't be a good long-haul solution for every opportunity for fasting.

Soups are awesome. Salads can be quite varied, too. But are there other things to avoid other than meats, eggs, and dairy? Are nuts allowable on those days? If so, that might be your gold mine of ideas, there.
                        ~ Loving the good life, built the way we want it. ~

Comment

Thank you guys for the helpful suggestions. You gave me some really great ideas (except for abandoning my faith- we'll have to agree to disagree, there ) Yes. Nuts are allowed.

Without going into TOO much of it, basically the premise is to deny yourself of the more expensive foods and eat lower on the food chain. Shellfish, while considered a delicasy by some now, were once considered "sea bugs" and very cheap.

Comment

I abstain from meat some for Religious purposes as well, although during Lent it is not obligatory for us to abstain the whole time. For days here and there I do try to just IF and focus more on legumes and veggies than grains. Making sure to get plenty of calories from fat.
                            Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

Working...
                            X