Bisquick alternative/ Snack ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bisquick alternative/ Snack ideas

All I used to use Bisquick for my flour like needs when cooking. What is the easiest, most similar, primal flour to transition to that would have similar cooking properties.

That and I any ideas for primal snacks would be helpful. I am having a hard time filling the "wheat gap" in my snacks etc. since triscuits are out. I am currently leaning on macadamia nuts as my goto snack but I don't want to over do it.
    Last edited by critta; 08-26-2010, 09:44 AM.

You should try these crackers. They are really easy to make and tasty.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sunfl...h-shrimp-pate/

I never used bisquick before so I can say if this is a good alternative, but I use almond flour when I want have something crusty.

Comment

My bisquick replacements:

Veggies, meat and a lil cheese.

Seriously, there is no primal bisquick replacement. What exactly are you trying to replace?
      The more I see the less I know for sure.
      -John Lennon

Comment

Mostly trying to figure out which primal flour is going to be easiest for me to use. I know there are quite a few options almond flour is the one that quickly comes to mind, I know there are others that I am blanking on right now.

Comment

Nothing will have properties even remotely like bisquick, sorry. Which flour you use all depends on what you're doing with it.
          One option, of course, is to stop eating things that require flour. This is by far the simplest and least expensive way to go. =]
          If you need a binding agent for meatloaf/meatballs, you can just use more egg, or use pork rinds or dried mushrooms ground into a flour.
          For baking, there are lots of recipes that use almond flour or coconut flour. I've seen other nut flours as well (pecan, hazelnut). These also work for breading meats or veggies to fry or bake.
          To thicken a soup or sauce, you can use arrowroot powder, or make things that will thicken on their own as they reduce (using cream, or good homemade stock).
          "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

I like baking w/ coconut flour. You might want to look at Bruce Fife's cookbook. The biscuits, no sugar muffins, and pancakes are really egg, butter, and some coconut.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions I guess i will have to pick some coconut or almond flour up and play around. I assume whole foods or trader joes should have them?

Comment

I know TJs has almond flour. I haven't found coconut flour in any stores around here.

Comment

Whole Foods has them, TJs only has coarsely ground almond meal (w/ skins on), not blanched almond flour. I prefer the Bob Redmills version of coconut flour and several people have recommended Honeyville blanched almond flour, although I have not tried this. Amazon also has them.

Comment

Coconut flour can be hard to find.. Bob's Red Mill makes one, so any store that sells a lot of their stuff might have it... but even then my grocery store often just has an empty space on the shelf where it should be. I've never been to a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's so I don't know about their selection.
                    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Almond flour is a great alternative. Coconut flour is rather "cakey" i didnt like it in pancakes, but i did like muffins. I like the almond meal from tjs for cookies & pankakes.
                      "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

Originally posted by critta View Post
                        That and I any ideas for primal snacks would be helpful. I am having a hard time filling the "wheat gap" in my snacks etc. since triscuits are out. I am currently leaning on macadamia nuts as my goto snack but I don't want to over do it.
                        I'd work on changing your thinking rather than trying to substitute. Why the need to snack?

Flour in any form simply isn't primal. While we do sometimes use almond or coconut flour for snacks/treat foods (20%), no flour is *really* primal and imesho shouldn't be used daily. Maybe weekly is more reasonable.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I to was addicted to alot of crackers and flour... have switch to using pork rinds when I need crunchy,they come spicy or orig. great with dipps or just plan in the place of bread..have even use for breading on fish and chicken... good luck it is not and easy one to kick but I am finding I really do feel better and not craving as much.. when family pulls out chip this is what I have.

Comment

I just ordered and received yesterday some Bob Redmills coconut flour from www.netrition.com.

Haven't had a chance to try it yet. It was 6.99/lb plus shipping.
                            My Primal Journal

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread22813.html

Comment

@AnthonyU

Nice to know a place online hopefully a little cheaper than in the stores. Thanks for the tip. They have the almond flour there cheaper than at whole foods by a lot so I will defer to ordering this stuff online hopefully not get robbed in shipping.

@cillakat
                              The reason for snacking is when I was tracking my calories on fitday. I don't think I am eating enough calories overall in a given day for my bmi and activity level. I am around 2000 intake and rough estimates say i should be at ~2600-2800. Plus I am trying to figure out how to adjust my mental idea of how and what to cook being more primal with the diet than before.

Thanks everyone else for all the tips and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                              X