Canned Salmon??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canned Salmon??

Anyone have a favorite canned Salmon? I am making the Salmon Chowder out of the PB Cookbook and wondered what brand folks were using. There are many different types & prices. Any suggestions?

I haven't found any my family won't eat and they mostly are wild caught so I try new ones often...

Comment

just make sure its boneless/skinless... I made that mistake once!
      Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
      Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
      Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Comment

No way, the skin and bones are the best part. I get Whole Foods 14oz for $2.29, a great deal since a pound of wild salmon will probably cost $15-20.

Comment

Are the bones big enough to choke on?

Comment

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
            No way, the skin and bones are the best part. I get Whole Foods 14oz for $2.29, a great deal since a pound of wild salmon will probably cost $15-20.
            i get to each his own! bones gross me out...
            Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
            Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
            Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Comment

The bones are small, very soft, easy to chew, and loaded with calcium.
              My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
              On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

I've never been a big fan of fish, so when I saw the bones and skin in the canned salmon, I was a little hesitant about eating it. To my surprise, I never noticed them and the meal was great. Now, canned wild salmon has become a regular way for me to get fish into my diet.

Comment

Boneless/skinless is a must unless you like a can o' carcass. Ewwww.... I'm with Lodini on this one!
                  Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
                  ~Borges

Comment

I used canned salmon with bones for the salmon cake recipe in the cookbook. While they're soft and can pretty much be chewed up or pulverized, the vertebra bones reminded me of white "Smarties" candy when they're individual (http://www.flickr.com/photos/68457656@N00/2349634833) (blech) and the needle-like rib bones aren't too pleasant either...it's all about personal preference though. Personally, I'll stick with boneless.

Comment

Another comment on this thread. For me canned salmon is a staple and I have it often. So many +s:

+ Truly wild animal with a very powerful energy. Even grassfed beef (cows that sit around) doesn't compare; and grain fed chickens or other poultry, pork, are tasty but just not nearly as strong.
                      + Good Omega 3 fats and good protein/fat ratio.
                      + Edible bones! As Annika said, great source of calcium and I think readily used by the body (compared to say, dairy).
                      + 2.29 for almost a pound is one of the cheapest proteins I buy.
                      + A sustainable fish choice.

Ways to eat
                      Cakes with almond flour/egg/green onion
                      Really like it with a homemade harissa sauce made from red peppers, paprika & olive oil
                      Or even simpler with smoked paprika and olive oil
                      Plain with avocado and/or hot sauce, or guac
                      In salads

What's not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by SoleSurvivor View Post
                        Are the bones big enough to choke on?
                        Only if you don't chew your food.

I buy paramount pink salmon because its the cheapest wild brand I can find down under. The cans with the pull tab are twice as expensive. However, the cans without the pull tab often won't open with the can opener (I broke two trying to open one can) so you may have to resort to prying it open by hand.
                        A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I always get mine from Trader Joe's Pink Wild Salmon. It is tasty and only $1.79 a can!
                          "The power that made the body HEALS the body" - B.J. Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                            Only if you don't chew your food.

I buy paramount pink salmon because its the cheapest wild brand I can find down under. The cans with the pull tab are twice as expensive. However, the cans without the pull tab often won't open with the can opener (I broke two trying to open one can) so you may have to resort to prying it open by hand.
                            That would be taking the Primal thing a little to far :]

Comment

I make salmon cakes regularly and I just mash up the bones and I don't even taste them in the patty... If I were making the chowder though I think I would chose boneless...

Comment

Working...
                              X