Pumpkin Puree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin Puree

Hey fellow PB'ers this is kind of a silly question. Is pumpkin puree just steamed pumkin blended to a baby food consistency? Or is it raw and blended?

Yes, it is already cooked. Whether it's steamed or cooked in some other manner, I don't know.

When buying, make sure you get 100% Canned Pumpkin, NOT Pumpkin Pie mix, which has sugar and a bunch of other stuff in it.

Comment

So yeah over the past few days I've eaten 10 or so cans of pumpkin. Seriously... it's something like 30 carbs and 150 calories for a whole can? It's like the greatest thing ever because just about anything I threw in there tasted awesome. I stay at the 75 - 130 range for carb intake so it fits in perfectly.

Basically I just wanted to come into your thread and talk about how goddamn amazing canned pumpkin is and that I wish I had known about it a long time ago.

Comment

Love canned pumpkin, def one of my staples.

Comment

I go on occasional canned pumpkin binges. I'll have it everyday for a few months, then I don't touch it again for ages.

Actually, I do that with lots of foods.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
            I go on occasional canned pumpkin binges. I'll have it everyday for a few months, then I don't touch it again for ages.

Actually, I do that with lots of foods.
            Me too, I'm a serial monogamist with foods

Comment

I was asking because I think when the pumpkins are harvested this year I'm going to buy some and freeze them. It is only out in my area seasonally, so I'm just going to make my own.

Comment

Maybe you should learn how to can? I'm toying with the idea of learning that this year, either from videos on the internet or else looking for a local class.

Comment

I cook and freeze a bunch of sugar pumpkins each fall. I freeze them in 2 cup portions in freezer bags. The flat bags stack nicely in the freezer and the pumpkin freezes well for a long time.

I bake the pumpkins rather than steam or boil because it is easier and more important, the dry heat gets rid of a lot of the excess moisture. I mash some of the pumpkin for a coarser texture to use as a veggie and run some through a ricer for a finer texture for baking.
                  312/149/150

Comment

I went to a canning class and they said that pumpkin is hard to can so I am afraid to try it, but I am curious if you can just thaw and eat the pumpkins that you bake and freeze? Or do you have to warm them up again?
                    My blog - About me, my family, and my hobbies!

*Please ignore my horrible typing and grammar I am usually typing it all on my very uncooperative phone*

Comment

Originally posted by Fern View Post
                      I went to a canning class and they said that pumpkin is hard to can so I am afraid to try it, but I am curious if you can just thaw and eat the pumpkins that you bake and freeze? Or do you have to warm them up again?
                      Purely personal preference.

Comment

I am so getting some canned-pumpkin on the way home. Is it just me or does some canned pumpkin with bacon mixed in sound damn good!?! I have a pumpkin pudding recipe that I am gonna have to primalize too! thanks for the reminder!!!
                        "The power that made the body HEALS the body" - B.J. Palmer

Comment

Mention there will be pumpkin ANYTHING and I'm THERE. *L*

Yes, canned pumpkin is just whipped and pureed pure pumpkin (though watch the cans to make sure you are not getting pie filling!)

It's great for baking, but also as soup and broth thickener. It will also help your dog if he has the farts or diarrhea.

I normally buy up sugar pumpkins, scoop out the seeds and roast them for a half hour or so at 350 until soft. Then you can just peel off the skin and puree them yourself for freezing. Then I roast the seeds for a tasty snack. :9

Comment

Originally posted by longtail4711 View Post
                            i normally buy up sugar pumpkins, scoop out the seeds and roast them for a half hour or so at 350 until soft. Then you can just peel off the skin and puree them yourself for freezing. Then i roast the seeds for a tasty snack. :9
                            yumm

Comment

Originally posted by Longtail4711 View Post
                              I normally buy up sugar pumpkins, scoop out the seeds and roast them for a half hour or so at 350 until soft. Then you can just peel off the skin and puree them yourself for freezing. Then I roast the seeds for a tasty snack. :9
                              I just wash mine, cut them in half (stem to bottom dot), rub a little oil on the cut edge and bake them face down on jelly roll pans (cookie sheets with 4 sides). The inside stringy stuff is so much easier to scoop out than when it is raw and the seeds are easier to get at too. I then cut a thin slice off of the oiled cut side (which gets browned from baking), scoop out the insides and voila! Easy fresh pumpkin.

I cook up a LOT of sugar pumpkins in the fall and used to spend forever getting the stringy seedy part out. Now they're in the oven in a few minutes.
                              312/149/150

Comment

Working...
                              X