What's up with bay leaves?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with bay leaves?

I hope someone here can explain this to me, as it's an unsolved mystery in my life. Sometimes jars of bay leaves are delicious smelling and add a subtle, warm undertone to dishes that almost reflects the whole nutmeg/allspice world of flavors. But twice, when I've bought jars of them they've had this overpoweringly astringent and chemical smell, almost like some kind of medicine. They add a terrible taste to the food. What is up with the Jekyll and Hyde aspect of bay leaves? I feel like I wasted 8 bucks today.

they might be old! I notice that if a spice is old- it gives this really chemically taste to food.
    http://primalyak.blogspot.com

Comment

There are actually two types of bay leaves. California bay leaves are more astringent. The usual kind are Turkish. Are you getting the same type every time? I don't know if most places even have California bay leaves, or if maybe some cheaper brands vary the type without labelling it.

Comment

A buddy of mine knows I use lots of Bay Leaves in my cooking, so she brought me some of the California kind that she picked on a hike.

They were HORRID to cook with, as avocado said, they were really astringent.

I tied them in a bunch, though, and hung them in my closet....they were perfect there

Comment

yup, the California kind of most things is better, but not bay leaves.

/born and raised NorCal girl now living in SoCal.

Comment

You could try growing your own Bay bushes are very easy to keep.

Comment

I agree with StoneAgeQueen. I have one that I've had for 4 years or so, leaves all year round. I just pop outside my front door when I need a few and put them in dishes fresh, easy peasy and cheap too!

Comment

The irony is that the store had normal and Turkish leaves, and I picked the normal ones because I was afraid that the Turkish were the useless kind I got last time. I guess it's the opposite. WTF are these even good for? The first time I used them I thought I had dropped plastic into the soup or something.

Comment

Originally posted by mdlaw View Post
                  WTF are these even good for?
                  mulch?

Comment

They are great in the closet as air fresheners.
                    That's what I did with mine

Comment

Boil some and mix the water with clay and it makes a great acne fighting mask.

Comment

Working...
                      X