Canned Pumpkin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canned Pumpkin

I have come into possession of quite a few cans of organic canned pumpkin.

I want to eat these cans of organic canned pumpkin.

Please help me and give me SIMPLE SIMPLE ways to consume these cans of organic canned pumpkin.

I have made canned organic pumpkin pumpkin pie and all that jazz before, but I know there has to be more uses for this stuff... this canned organic pumpkin. Can I make canned organic pumpkin pancakes with it? Can I make some kind of breakfast canned organic pumpkin porridge with it? Help me use this stuff, because I have a TON of it! And by ton of it, I mean have quite a few can of canned organic pumpkin.

I used to mix it into my oatmeal w/raisins and sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg on top. Now I do essentially the same thing, but I use greek yogurt instead of oatmeal.

I also add it to my smoothies. I love pumpkin.

Comment

If you have coconut milk that actually thickens or hardens in the frig, mix it up with some pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spice, then chill it in the frig for a nice pudding.
      Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Originally posted by tangentrider View Post
        If you have coconut milk that actually thickens or hardens in the frig, mix it up with some pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spice, then chill it in the frig for a nice pudding.
        This sounds pretty much in line with what I expected to do with it. I figured some cold coconut milk, some blueberries/strawberries, and some cinnamon and spices would make it fun to just eat out of a bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
          This sounds pretty much in line with what I expected to do with it. I figured some cold coconut milk, some blueberries/strawberries, and some cinnamon and spices would make it fun to just eat out of a bowl.
          Out of a bowl is good. It's also good savory: think curry.
          Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Holy crap I just realized an entire can is only like 175 calories and maybe 25 carbs or so... thats nothing! I'm about to go to town on this stuff, my friends!

I think tomorrow will be a breakfast of 3 eggs and sausage along with a bowl of pumpkin/coconut milk/blueberry porridge!

Oh god I wish I hadn't already eaten dinner or I'd eat breakfast right now!

Comment

You can make curry pumpkin soup w/ coconut milk, and you can also stir canned pumpkin into chili.

If you want to try baking, you can use this instead of a mashed banana for all of the nut butter brownies or cakes.

I'm jealous, due to the smaller pumpkin crop, none of the grocers here are carrying any canned pumpkin.

Comment

Thats why I bought it. I saw them putting it on the shelves... 12 cans. I grabbed all 12 because I am a dick and it's been almost a year since I've seen any in the stores.

Comment

If you can have dairy, mix it with cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice and fold it into whipped heaven. Voila, pumpkin pie filling. Don't bake it though, I'm not sure what happens if you heat whipped heaven. If you freeze that filling, it's a damn good ice cream.
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

Mix in some olive oil, loads of crushed garlic and as much harissa as you dare for a savoury snack
                    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I make a killer pumpkin soup with apples and onions. It is amazing. Also you can add it to any flavor smoothie and it will add fiber and thickness.

Comment

Put some scoops of it in a protein shake...it's yummy.

Comment

ahh i love canned pumpkin i make sweet or savory things with it.

you can use it in a "cake" like thing to replace butter (when people sub applesauce) it can add moisture. it's nice whipped into a mousse, i usually enjoy it with some coconut flour like a pudding with frozen bloobs & walnuts and cinnamon. i haven't seen libby's brand since last thanksgiving so i have to shell out $3 for the small organic pumpkin can. i am totally hoarding cans of pumpkin around thanksgiving, girl has to stock up!

Comment

First, if you have Mark's cookbook, I think the pumpkin muffins are amazing! I didn't care for them plain, though. I always add nuts or dark chocolate chips (or both). If you're doing dark chocolate chips, btw, you almost don't even need any maple syrup. They are amazing.

Also, I second (or third?) others' suggestions of a smoothie! I'm digging greek yogurt, banana, pumpkin, spices in a blender

After posting this, I stumbled accross a blog with a version of Mark's no-atmeal, with a pumpkin banana emphasis. Sounds tasty--I think I'll be trying it soon too! http://inthenightlife.blogspot.com/2...-noatmeal.html
                            Last edited by jqbancroft; 08-14-2010, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I use fresh, cooked sugar pumpkins (or canned when I run out) just like I would use butternut squash...as a side dish mashed with butter. Very nice for breakfast when paired up with a grilled pork chop with a drizzle of maple syrup over all.

This is a nice hearty soup that I make often during the cold months. It freezes well although the mushrooms do become a bit rubbery. Based on Linda Genaw's recipe (Linda's Low Carb Recipes).

BEEFY-MUSHROOM PUMPKIN SOUP

2 pounds ground beef or ground bison
                              1 small onion, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
                              1 cup chopped celery and leaves
                              1 clove garlic, minced
                              16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
                              15 ounces canned pumpkin (I often use the 29 oz. can)
                              1 quart beef broth or 4 cups homemade beef broth
                              1/2 cup heavy cream
                              1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
                              salt, to taste
                              1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a 6-8 quart pot, brown the ground beef along with the onion, mushrooms and garlic; drain the fat if desired. Add the pumpkin to the ground beef mixture; blend well then add the broth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes. Add the cream (and wine, if using); simmer 10-15 minutes longer. Adjust the seasoning, if needed.

This makes a thick soup. If you like it thinner, add water or more beef broth.
                              312/149/150

Comment

Working...
                              X