Pho ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pho ?

Has anyone made or know of a primal pho? Of course minus the rice noodles, but everything else should be good. Any rice noodle substitutes?

Maybe try it with buckwheat noodles. I eat it all the time with only a couple of bites of the noodles. Why sweat it? Just enjoy.

Comment

Shirataki noodles might be more primal than others. They are made from the root of a plant. Here is a link that says what they are.
      I really know nothing of the plant, but if you are going to have a substitute, this might work. Anyone else know if these would be primal?

http://www.shiratakinoodles.net/what...i-noodles.html
      Last edited by Roberta; 08-10-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

My sister makes it. I just don't have the noodles.

Comment

Yea I go to china town and order PHO with no noodles and extra meat. They think I am nuts but I dont care. The broth is where its at so I drink the whole damn thing lol.
          "Live Free or Die"

Comment

I use Spaghetti Squash, I like the flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bostonbully View Post
              Yea I go to china town and order PHO with no noodles and extra meat. They think I am nuts but I dont care. The broth is where its at so I drink the whole damn thing lol.
              I grew up in a very Vietnamese area, and i used to do that a lot! There was a seafood soup, too, which I got without noodles. That was even before I was primal!

They do think you're strange, though .

I never needed the noodles. Konnyakku noodles are made with yam. I believe shirataki contain soy and yam flour, so maybe not so primal?

Anyhow, the beansprouts always satisfied me plenty.
              Little Saiyan

Comment

Originally posted by Krusty View Post
                Has anyone made or know of a primal pho? Any rice noodle substitutes?
                Once I broke my love affair with homemade noodles and pastas, I found that Pho could really stand alone. I have played around with egg "knoodles" and they're not bad at all but lack the slurp stability of real noodles. The egg knoodles do contain a little heavy cream and parmesan if that is in your food plan.

Valcan's Egg Knoodles:

1 serving

1 egg
                1 TBS fine grate Parmesan cheese
                1 TBS heavy cream
                1 TBS chicken stock
                spritz of cooking spray (I use avocado or olive oil in my Misto sprayer)

Mix together noodle ingredients. Heat a crepe pan. Pour the egg mixture into the crepe pan and swirl around. Cook exactly as you would a very delicate crepe. Remove from the pan and roll into a long tube; cut into thin strips. Leave coiled up & let cool a few minutes while you ladle the soup into bowls. Add knoodles on top of soup.

Valcan's Vietnamese Pho

12 cups chicken broth
                1 yellow onion, thickly sliced
                1 pieces peeled fresh ginger
                4 large garlic cloves, halved
                1 tsp whole cloves
                cinnamon stick
                2 star anise
                12 oz. shrimp, peeled, cleaned*
                2 raw boneless chicken breasts, cubed*
                2 TBS nam pla (fish sauce, look for one without sugar)

~ I add other veggies such as bok choy, snow peas, etc. ~

Garnishes: (choose one or all)

Bean sprouts
                Fresh mint leaves
                Cilantro leaves
                Regular or Asian basil
                Fresh lime cut in quarters
                Scallions, diced
                Thai or Serrano chilies
                Hot chili paste
                Freshly ground black pepper

Combine chicken broth, sliced yellow onion, sliced ginger, fish sauce, whole cloves, star anise, cinnamon and cubed chicken and garlic cloves in a heavy soup pot and simmer for 30 minutes. In the last five minutes add the shrimp and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Strain the broth into a separate tureen or serving pot, and add back the cooked chicken and shrimp; discard the rest. Place the garnishes in you want in a bowl and cover with the soup.

Serves 8

*Note: If you prefer beef, you can substitute thinly sliced beef for the shrimp and or chicken or use all three! Thinly sliced pork would also be a tasty addition.
                312/149/150

Comment

I've had Pho with tripe substituted for the noodles. It's not bad, but tripe is an acquired taste (or more so and acquired texture). Can't get more primal than that!
                  I blog here: http://www.primalkat.blogspot.com/

Comment

I found kelp noodles at a local natural grocery store. Those would be awesome in pho.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal K@ View Post
                      I've had Pho with tripe substituted for the noodles. It's not bad, but tripe is an acquired taste (or more so and acquired texture). Can't get more primal than that!
                      Very true. But you could come close with tendon (also popular in pho).

Comment

Originally posted by elwyne View Post
                        I found kelp noodles at a local natural grocery store. Those would be awesome in pho.
                        Yes they are. They also make a killer egg foo yung.

Comment

I buy a bag of shredded broccli stems (they market it for brocoli slaw) for my chicken soup. My girls still call it chicken noodle becaust the broccoli strands get translucent and soft. could work for Pho.

Comment

Oh wow... I forgot I had done a search, didn't realize how old this was. Oops

Comment

I've made pho with kelp noodles, and it's awesome. One of the benefits of using kelp noodles, is that the leftover noodles stay in tact for the next day, unlike rice noodles which fall apart.

Comment

Working...
                              X