Breadcrumb substitute for meatloaf?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breadcrumb substitute for meatloaf?

Can anyone recommend a good breadcrumb substitute as a binder for meatloaf? I tried using coconut flour, but the loaf crumbled quite a bit when I sliced it. Any other ideas? I might also try adding more egg whites to see if that does the trick.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

almond flour and eggs
    crushed pork rinds and eggs
    horse semen and eggs

Comment

Veggies diced fine ( I use a food processor ) with liquid squeezed out. I use carrots and onions

Comment

I use more eggs than I did when I used breadcrumbs, and that seems to be the key. Using dried onion instead of fresh also helps. Almond flour is good for texture but doesn't really make anything stick together.

I haven't tried the pork rinds before... I bet that would work nicely... maybe next time!
        "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

Breadcrumbs are unnecessary. They were originally introduced to traditional meatloaf recipes to stretch the meat further, not as a binding agent, that is what the egg is for.
          For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
            almond flour and eggs
            crushed pork rinds and eggs
            horse semen and eggs
            Horse semen really is an amazing binding agent.
            For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

i love the Almond flour.
              Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

I don't use any flour, just eggs. I haven't had any problems, but I think I used more eggs than my recipe called for.
                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

When I made meatza, I used about 1/4 of shredded parmesan cheese (not the kind in the green container), and it worked great texture and flavor-wise. I think it would be delicious in meatloaf.
                  My journal

Comment

Originally posted by Angieh View Post
                    When I made meatza, I used about 1/4 of shredded parmesan cheese (not the kind in the green container), and it worked great texture and flavor-wise. I think it would be delicious in meatloaf.
                    I'll need to try that for my next meatza or meatloaf. Sounds amazing.
                    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Just add an egg or two. Breadcrumbs are not necessary. Why hide the taste of all that grass-fed beef?

Comment

Originally posted by supersellen View Post
                        breadcrumbs are unnecessary. They were originally introduced to traditional meatloaf recipes to stretch the meat further, not as a binding agent, that is what the egg is for.
                        exactly.

Comment

I just use an egg and some milk. Always some veggies too.

Comment

If your ok with cheese I use parmesan cheese
                            ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Comment

I substitute in some crushed pork rinds. Helps increase both fat and protein content too.
                              iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

Comment

Working...
                              X