rain+forest= MUSHROOMS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rain+forest= MUSHROOMS!

I live in the rockies, northwest of Denver. We have had a rainy past couple of weeks. Now, there appears to be an abundance of mushrooms!! I have a counter full of specimens, an Audubon guide, but no clue Actually, we have found a King Bolete & this gorgeous brown on with several names (scaly tooth, scaly urchin, hawk's wing) & those are edible. Cooking suggestions?

I wish I knew where my boss was finding the chanterelles...

Oooh. Be careful, Peggy.
    There are a lot of toxic mushrooms that resemble the edible ones...does your Audobon guide mention how to do a spore print?
    Check this out...always good to know before you go: http://americanmushrooms.com/id.htm

Of course, Chanterelles and Morels are pretty much no-brainers. Those are the only ones that I'll bring home to cook

ETA another link: http://www.mushroomthejournal.com/mhma/edibles.htm Check out the warnings on Boletes and Coprinus (Shaggy Manes)
    Last edited by kuno1chi; 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM. Reason: guess i need a little more coffee...

Comment

Yet another "mushroom" thread that makes me just a wee bit nervous for folks' safety...

Comment

From what I hear just trying to identify mushrooms from a guide or the internet is a recipe for disaster. Frequently, mushroom hunters with years of experience are poisoned to death because they run into a juvenile of a deadly species that looks like an edible.

Yeah, I'm paranoid, but.
        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

True, that.
          "There are old mushroom hunters, and there are BOLD mushroom hunters. But there are no OLD, BOLD mushroom hunters."
          Again----Chanterelles and Morels are a no-brainer.

Comment

The King Bolete is similar to porcini I found out...
            All is good here - no fear, I will not eat what I am not sure about. some of them were just marvelous to look at. Plus for curiosity's sake you want to identify them all. We only ate some bolete & hawk wing. Sauteed in olive oil & garlic. The rest are poised for photo ops.
            "all mushrooms are edible, some only once" I saw that today too...
            I also learned there's a mushroom festival in Buena Vista in 2 weeks (with a wine & cheese party). would rather learn from experienced gatherers

Comment

Originally posted by kuno1chi View Post
              True, that.
              "There are old mushroom hunters, and there are BOLD mushroom hunters. But there are no OLD, BOLD mushroom hunters."
              Again----Chanterelles and Morels are a no-brainer.
              A no-brainer unless you live in one of the areas with a toxic lookalike for chanterelles, sure...
              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Well...see?
                I learn something new every day

Comment

Working...
                X