Favourite freezer meals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite freezer meals

What recipes do you find work well for putting in the freezer for those days when there isn't the time or inclination to cook?
    I freeze batches of curry, chilli, soup, Primal Shepherds Pie, Fish Pie etc.
    What are your favourites?

the garlic pulled pork from mark's blog. Freezes well and re-heats well (make sure you freeze with the liquid from the cooking process).
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Primal Shepard's Pie and chicken potless pie (you have to eat dairy for this one) are my two go tos at the moment. I have to find some more that my daughter will like too.

Comment

Dakini, could you explain what a chicken potless pie is?

Comment

Meatballs freeze well (and are flexible in terms of serving size). This is a recipe I used recently w/ grass fed ground beef: http://amoderngal.com/2010/05/17/mea...-simple-sauce/

Comment

French Margaret - basically I take cooked roast chicken (I cook whole chickens in the crockpot), add it to cream, chicken stock (made from that same chicken I cooked in my crockpot - crockpots are great!), and veggies. Then, just let it cook until everything is warm and the cream and stock have thickened into a gravy - I will add cheese sometimes for my daughter. You can add whatever veggies you want. I call it chicken potless pie because it's like the inside of a chicken pot pit without the pastry shell. It's something my daughter loves, which is great for me. I hth! If not, ask more.

Comment

Thanks Dakini.

I expect that everyone in America knows what a chicken pot pie is, but for some of us on other continents it's new. Anyway, the way you do it sounds good. I have to agree with you about crockpots . I'm preparing a BOF soup now (Bottom of the Freezer - all those odds and ends that make their way to the bottom.)

I like this book on how to make the most of your crock pot / slow cooker.
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Most-...1247816&sr=1-9

When you look at all the books available on Amazon you're spoilt for choice. I want to try them all!

Comment

Originally posted by dakini View Post
                French Margaret - basically I take cooked roast chicken (I cook whole chickens in the crockpot), add it to cream, chicken stock (made from that same chicken I cooked in my crockpot - crockpots are great!), and veggies. Then, just let it cook until everything is warm and the cream and stock have thickened into a gravy - I will add cheese sometimes for my daughter. You can add whatever veggies you want. I call it chicken potless pie because it's like the inside of a chicken pot pit without the pastry shell. It's something my daughter loves, which is great for me. I hth! If not, ask more.
                Great idea. How much water do you use?
                A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I freeze a lot of foods (soups, mini meatloaves, coconut flour biscuits/rolls, mini crustless quiches, mashed cauliflower, etc.) mainly because I don't want to have the same food for days in a row. I also have two ice cube trays set aside for savory foods that I use to freeze broth, veg puree or tomato sauce cubes for use when you just need a little bit to add to veggies, meats or scrambled eggs. When the cubes are frozen, I transfer the cubes to a freezer baggie.
                  312/149/150

Comment

Working...
                  X