crispy sweet potatoe french fries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crispy sweet potatoe french fries

Does anybody have any decent versions of this? The non paleo ones use sugar and flour which kills the potential healthiness of the treat. I'm thinking pan frying is the way to go in possibly peanut oil since I'm low on olive oil.

Any ideas on how to make them and most importantly keep em crispy?
    My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

I was JUST thinking of this. They sell the spears ready to go at Trader Joes... I baked em with olive oil and pepper... soo good. I baked em long enough till they were crispy.

Comment

Primal_jessjane posted this recipe a while back and I copy/pasted it into Word so I would know where to find it. I hope she doesn't mind me reposting it with attribution.

"2-3 sweet potatoes cut like french fries
      1 tbsp chili powder
      1 tbsp paprika
      1/2 tbsp cinnamon
      1/2 tsp cayenne
      black pepper to taste
      sprinkle of sea salt
      1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, whisk all spices together with the olive oil and then toss the sweet potato spears in the olive oil mixture until all the spears are coated. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and evenly spread the potato spears on the foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning the spears over half way through the cooking time."

Sounds amazing to me.
      Last edited by Cosima; 08-06-2010, 01:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Mine would make the peanut haters flog me, but I just slice the sweet potato into good sized fries, and fry them in peanut oil. Kind of a cheat thing I guess because of the oil. But awesome. I've also fried them lots of times in olive oil, which I guess is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosima View Post
          Primal_jessjane posted this recipe a while back and I copy/pasted it into Word so I would know where to find it. I hope she doesn't mind me reposting it with attribution.

1 tbsp chili powder
          1 tbsp paprika
          1/2 tbsp cinnamon
          1/2 tsp cayenne
          black pepper to taste
          sprinkle of sea salt
          1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, whisk all spices together with the olive oil and then toss the sweet potato spears in the olive oil mixture until all the spears are coated. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and evenly spread the potato spears on the foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning the spears over half way through the cooking time."

Sounds amazing to me.
          I wish I'd have seen this last night when I was making sweet potato fries for the first time! Mine came out alright, but these sound a lot better...
          Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I tried that without the cayenne. Tastes good but soggy and a little heavy spice wise. we even broiled it for an extra five minutes to try to get it to crisp. I'd like to know about the peanut and olive oil frying. I had fantastic fries at Ocean City, NJ that were deep fried in soy oil. Not a fan of soy oil but another type could be healthier.

Comment

Frying em doesn't really get them crispy. But it does taste better. I did experiment with coconut flour coating, but it didn't turn out well.

Comment

you have to make sure you slice them thin. Baking them in the oven should get them crispy, but its a fine line between just how thin and just how long you cook them for. I'm still trying to figure out how to get sweet potato (or kumara as we call them here) potato chips for munching on with my wine. I keep burning the little sods.

Comment

To get regular french fries ie potatoes crispy the best thing to do is to double fry in lard or duck fat. So maybe that would work here? Haven't tried yet though.

Comment

ahh yes... lard. back in the good old days, chips were always done in lard.... sigh... nostalgia.

Comment

+1 for LARD! slice potatoes thin... There's a recipe here somewhere for sweet potato chips (crisps) if you search.
                      also, they are good with a homemade chipotle mayo. Use half olive oil/coconut oil & apple cider vinegar to make. Add whatever dried chilies you happen to have. (this also goes excellent with tuna)
                      you can try coconut oil also.
                      We serve sweet potato fries (chips) where I work. We use lard in our fryer. The potatoes are fresh sliced (julienne). Only the thinnest bits get actually crispy.
                      @ Suse: we are Back in the Good ol days using lard! Can you still get it in NZ? I have some fat in the freezer that I want to render my own from - just waiting for the weather to cool a bit...

@kennelmom: google around... last thanksgiving I made roasted sweet potatoes with a balsamic drizzle. oh my....
                      Last edited by Peggy; 09-07-2010, 04:19 PM.

Comment

yes peggy we can get it here, although I'd probably have to really hunt it out at the supermarket. I just keep forgetting. Must put it on shopping list.

Comment

I just made some sweet potato fries this weekend, yum! But they weren't really CRUNCHY. I'm thinking perhaps if you cut the "fries" smaller and then baked longer they'd be pretty crispy. Of course there's a fine line between cripsy and burnt!

As for the sweet... maybe some olive oil coating and sprinkle with a cinnamon/xylitol (or stevia) mix? Some peeps have issues with xylitol (which can come from many different sources), and some think stevia's bitter... so your mileage may vary...
                          sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Originally posted by Cosima View Post

1 tbsp chili powder
                            1 tbsp paprika
                            1/2 tbsp cinnamon
                            1/2 tsp cayenne
                            black pepper to taste
                            sprinkle of sea salt
                            1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil

Sounds amazing to me.
                            This is exactly what i do, but minus the cinnamon. I will have to try it.
                            Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

I have experimented and found that you don't have to slice them all that thin, I make them more like wedges. I bake them for 25 minutes at 450 and stir them around once half way through.

I usually do 2 or 3 sweet potatoes, a TBSP of olive oil and then the following spices: 3/4 TSP each of garlic salt (or celery salt or seasoned salt or shallot salt), pepper, garlic powder, and turmeric. I mix the oil and spices in by hand right on the cooking sheet.

Comment

Working...
                              X