Blackberry Marinade from Primal Blueprint Cookbook - Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry Marinade from Primal Blueprint Cookbook - Question

I just grabbed 2 porterhouse steaks from the freezer and am thawing them in the fridge right now for tomorrows Dinner. I wish to marinate the steaks with the Blackberry Marinade found in the Primal Blueprint Cookbook.

However, it calls for sesame oil and I do not have sesame oil. Would olive oil work fine? Or coconut oil?

Also, I do not have wheat-free tamari so is there is a substitute for this? A lot of recipes call for it so I may pick this up... would a traditional supermarket carry it?

Thanks guys!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Anyone?

Comment

Not sure... the egg foo young calls for sesame oil and I used tallow. Seemed to work ok. As for the wheat-free tamari, I get mine in the health/organic section of my grocery (Wegmans.) The ethnic section carries regular tamari. Not that that's much help...

Comment

Thanks! I don't want to buy sesame oil but I think I will buy some wheat free tamari. I have A LOT of recipes to make tomorrow!

Comment

Hi Toad,
          I made this marinade a couple weeks ago and used it overnight with a pork loin from Trader Joe's -- it was delicious! I did not have tamari, so I substituted soy sauce, but I remember I used a little less than the recipe called for. Also, I DID have sesame oil and used it. It imparted a little asian flavor, and I happen to really like a hint of sesame oil in Asian inspired dishes (which is why I happened to have some in my cupboard). You really don't use much of it, so I don't think it's too bad to have on hand. Marinade would be fine without -- it'll just have a slightly different flavor.

As for the tamari -- I looked it up online and found out it's soy sauce that's gluten free -- how awesome! I looked at Trader Joe's and my local supermarkets and couldn't find any. TODAY I went into my local health food store for something else, and there on the shelf sat a bottle of Tamari -- organic no less -- for 3.99! Funny how excited that made me. I can't wait to make something with it now -- maybe I'll try the marinade again.

So, let us know how yours turns out. Oh, I also kept about a half cup separate and used as a sauce on the finished meat -- this was the best part, so make sure you save some of the marinade for dipping purposes.
          My journal

Comment

Also, what other recipes are you making tomorrow?
            My journal

Comment

Marinating a porterhouse..........that blasphemy.........just kidding lol.
              Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Chefgerry View Post
                Marinating a porterhouse..........that blasphemy.........just kidding lol.
                Agreed.....salt, pepper.....hot grill or hot cast iron skillet.....done.

Comment

Toad -- if you decide that your porterhouse doesn't need the marinade, I'd try it on a pork tenderloin -- it was a perfect marriage of flavors!
                  My journal

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/korean-style-short-ribs/
                    While that marinade works good on most meats,... i'd save the marinade for another cut of meat,.. like chicken, pork, short ribs..etc...
                    Porterhouse is damn good all by itself.

You can substitute the sesame oil with olive, but you will be missing out on a key flavor... and as mentioned above, tamari and soy sauce tastes pretty much the same,... tamari is just better for you.

Comment

Haha thanks guys! I actually decided NOT to make the marinade for the porterhouse steaks prior to reading your comments. I will be putting them on the grill in about 5 hours. I agree that you don't need much for it. I LOVE horseradish though so will add that to the steak with some salt and pepper and that will be enough.

I will be making this marinade soon for something else - maybe chicken breasts for the grill?

Comment

Originally posted by Angieh View Post
                        Also, what other recipes are you making tomorrow?
                        I am not making them all today - it was too much, lol. But, these are the recipes that I will be making next:

-Ketchup
                        -Mayonaise
                        -Coconut Almond Dressing
                        -Blackberry Marinade
                        -Pumpkin Nut Muffins
                        -Baked Coconut Milk Custard (I made this b4 but it did not turn out like custard)
                        -Spinach Bread
                        -Roasted Cauliflower w/ Lemon Mustard Dressing

I plan on making the cauliflower with the porterhouse steaks today. I grill the steaks exactly how Mark says to in his cookbook and they come out perfect every time (I never really grilled prior to this summer too!).

I will eventually try EVERY RECIPE as they are all way too awesome. I just need my OWN kitchen which will be a while since I plan on traveling around the world in 2011 Why? To spread the Primal word around!!

Really...

Comment

Mmmmm................... roasted cauliflower. The blackberry marinade would go perfectly with pork tenderloin. I like to stuff pork tenderloin with sauteed shallots, garlic, herbs, pinenuts, eggplant caviar (just cooked eggplant mashed up) and something sweet to match the marinade....blackberries would work. Sear the tenderloin over high heat, then in a 400 oven until interior temp hits 150, then rest for 10 minutes. To stuff the tenderloin take your index finger and punch a hole down the center, then use something wider like the handle on a potato masher........put the stuffing in a pastry bag or a plastic bag with a corner cut off and squeeze the stuffing into the tenderloin. Cutting the loin into 2 pieces makes it easier and conveniently makes 2 servings.
                          Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

I agree about missing out on the flavor of sesame oil--it's great stuff! I found sesame oil on the "international" isle of my grocery store and found it for $3 That's opposed the $8 bottle on the regular oil isle. Good luck!

Edit: I just saw all the recipes you're planning to try (yummy!) and I wanted to add that the pumpkin nut muffins are off the hizzle! I made them with nuts, plain, and with dark chocolate chips. All fantastic! I reduced the maple syrup to 1/4 cup when I put in the chocolate chips, btw, and it was fine
                            Last edited by jqbancroft; 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X