Mashed Purple Cauliflower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mashed Purple Cauliflower

Last night i swung by the local farm that grows organic produce near my house... . They grow purple cauliflower... its dark purple. I'd never seen it before..

so I made mashed purple cauliflower... and it looked weird and wonderful (shoulda taken a pic dangit!).

If you have kids... i bet they'd love it.

1 head of purple cauliflower, butter and salt to taste... just boil it till soft, then mash with butter and salt to taste...

sooo good too!

I served it with chicken. It was really different and fun.

I loooooove mashed cauliflower. Like really love it, haha. There's a a small family of restaurants in the DC area (where my parents live) that serve mashed cauliflower as a side, and I got hooked.

I've found that the texture is better if I boil them till soft but not mushy, and then put them in the oven for a bit to dry out. Lets me add some heavy whipping cream or butter

Btw--purple would be amazing. I love a colorful plate!

Comment

oh cool! thanks for the tip! ... I bet that would make it seem more starchy like potato's are. If you like color... try that with sweet potato hash browns... omg... favorite meal ever.

Comment

Mmmm. I love making cauliflower 'rice' -- only with Parmesan cheese and heavy whipping cream. . .
        If I don't live my dream, who will?

Comment

Whole Foods had the organic orange cauliflower for the same prices as the regular white cauliflower, so we'll be having mashed orange cauliflower at some point this week!

I steam the cauliflower, rather than boil it. Comes out with less moisture and I'm always worried about boiling away nutrients.
          Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I hear ya about boiling--I always steamed (and still thought it was mushy, and did the round in the over afterward) but we've given up our microwave and we don't yet have the equipment to steam without it! I've only boiled the cauliflower once so far--and I used the water to make chicken stock out of. I didn't like the idea of throwing out nutrients either!

Comment

I think I'm the only one in the world who finds mashed cauliflower disgusting. The stuff just made me pine away for potatoes. lol
              ~Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Rosegin View Post
                I think I'm the only one in the world who finds mashed cauliflower disgusting. The stuff just made me pine away for potatoes. lol
                I hear you. However, once I stopped pretending mashed cauliflower was potatoes and "embraced the cauliflower," I grew to like it.

It's not potatoes. Anyone who thinks it is has a very... different... palette than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by gottaluvalab View Post
                  I hear you. However, once I stopped pretending mashed cauliflower was potatoes and "embraced the cauliflower," I grew to like it.

It's not potatoes. Anyone who thinks it is has a very... different... palette than I do.
                  I've never been a cauliflower fan, anyway. The only way I tolerate it is roasted in the oven.
                  ~Sandy

Comment

I like roasted cauliflower, I like it boiled in stock and white wine with some sort of sauce, and I can roast it and mash it in with potatoes (50/50) without anyone noticing, BUT it is not a mashed potato sub imo. It just isn't. Yummy in it's own way, but more and more I'm finding that the more primal I become the less thrilled I am by substitutes. I just want real, delicious food, not food fakery you know?
                    The more I see the less I know for sure.
                    -John Lennon

Comment

I also roast cauliflower, drizzled with olive oil, in a cast iron pan in the oven to get it nice and brown - really tasty!

Comment

Going to be trying either this or making "rice" out it. By "it" I mean white cauliflower.

Comment

I was just wondering the other day if colored cauliflower was "okay" to eat. I'm guessing it has more nutrients, but it seems a little unnatural. Opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowPoke2320 View Post
                            I was just wondering the other day if colored cauliflower was "okay" to eat. I'm guessing it has more nutrients, but it seems a little unnatural. Opinions?
                            I have had the purple, orange and green pointy varities - all are yummy - taste like cauliflower! They may have more nutrients since they have more color... ususlly the darker the veg the more nutrients?!

Comment

I roast the cauliflower and then puree so it has that yummy roasted flavor (with dark brown bits) and is much thicker...not watery at all. Tonight I made some to top a cottage pie. I used to add random mixes that included any of the following: cream, butter, cream cheese, bacon, caramelized onions, parmesean, etc. Since we're dairy free right now, I added sea salt and pepper and nutritional yeast (for a slight cheesy flavor). I had roasted them with leftover bacon grease so the flavor is amazing and they are very thick. I just tasted the pie and it's amazing.

BTW, I mixed both frozen florets and fresh tonight since that's what I had...they both roasted up just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X