Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does ANYONE have a primal coffee cake recipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does ANYONE have a primal coffee cake recipe?

Before going primal, I was a coffee cake addict, and even now on special occasions a coffee cake just hits the spot... anyone got a primal recipe? preferably without coconut flour as I have had no success in finding that here (Ireland)

I had some mocha biscottis from somewhere that might be adaptable... let me go root the website out.... also try looking for ground almonds as your "flour" sub - coconut and coffee do NOT work together

Here we are - I can't remember if I switched the agave for honey or if I just left it out entirely http://www.elanaspantry.com/double-c...ocha-biscotti/ You bake it twice - after the first baking the texture was brownie-like, you could maybe stop there?

Also there's a pdf here http://silo.grou.ps.s3.amazonaws.com...te_recipes.pdf but I've not tried it.

Happy experimenting!
    Last edited by NorthernMonkeyGirl; 08-01-2010, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SNMNY View Post
      Before going primal, I was a coffee cake addict, and even now on special occasions a coffee cake just hits the spot... anyone got a primal recipe? preferably without coconut flour as I have had no success in finding that here (Ireland)
      Tescos sell coconut flour! but its not cheap..

Comment

I made this one with strawberries. It does have artificial sweetener but I'm sure honey could be used.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/bre...rbcoffcake.htm

Comment

I have had good luck with the recipes from Elana's Pantry using almond flour. I generally use coconut oil and raw honey (about half) instead of the grapeseed oil and agave that Elana uses. Someone else posted the one from her book here: http://mootiesrecipes.blogspot.com/2...ffee-cake.html

Comment

I have not tried this myself but have bookmarked it and hope to try it soon. Not a coffee cake per se but it may fit the bill:

http://cosmopolitanprimalgirl.wordpr...d-orange-cake/

Comment

i think i have an almond meal coffee cake recipe in my binder. when i'm in my room i'll check for you. i've never tested it myself, though.
              .survive.then.win.

Comment

Funny you should ask that. I was just experimenting with this the other day. I love coffee cake too! I also want to develop a primal cinnamon roll recipe. Hoping to include both of these recipes in my cookbook coming out in September.

Comment

real coffee cake

4 tbsp butter
                  1/2 cup hot, strong black coffee (not instant)
                  1/3 cup honey
                  2 eggs, separated
                  1 tsp cinnamon
                  1/2 tsp nutmeg
                  1/2 tsp baking soda
                  1/4 tsp salt
                  2 1/2 c blanched almond flour
                  1/2 c walnuts or pecans, chopped
                  1/4 c raisins

in a medium bowl melt the butter into the coffee. mix in all other ingredients except for the egg whites. beat whites until stiff, then gently fold into the batter. spread batter into a buttered 8x8in baking pan.

bake at 310 deg. f fir 30-35
                  .survive.then.win.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. You can bet im going to try each and every one of them and see what works best :-)

Comment

elana's pantry also has a "cinnamon roll" recipe that might work - I was going to try it tomorrow, with modifications for the agave & grapeseed oil.
                      I have been trying to get a clafouti to come out like a coffee cake kind of result, still a ways to go on that experiment

That other recipe posted here looks Very enticing!
                      (everyone report back here with their results please!)

Comment

Freaky, I was just about to post that coffee clafouti Does Not Work although the "recipe" consisted of throwing in a spoonful of coffee grounds... :O

Comment

Originally posted by SNMNY View Post
                          Thanks for all the responses. You can bet im going to try each and every one of them and see what works best :-)
                          Please post the results thanks.
                          A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

ohhhhhh, you meant cake that tastes like coffee, not cake that goes with coffee...
                            well, for the latter, I made the "cinnamon roll buns" from elana's pantry using honey instead of agave, coconut oil instead of grapeseed oil, 1tsp vanilla instead of 1 tblspn & added chopped pecans to the top. My friend (who I baked them for) is happy & my house smells luscious.
                            oh ya, & I skipped the icing - didn't need it

Comment

Working...
                            X