Coconut Pancake from book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Pancake from book

I made the coconut pancakes this morning from the cookbook. I followed the recipe exactly and I thought they were awful! What's the deal? Everyone raved about them. Did I do something wrong?

I HATE coconut flour pancakes, I hate the texture, the taste. They are just not for me. My kiddos however, LOVE them. *shrug* everyone's palette is different.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Comment

Haven't tried the recipe from the book yet but I have made these from here-

It uses whipped egg whites which makes nice fluffy pancakes. I find too much coconut flour is quite dry.

Low Carb, Low Cal Blackberry Pancakes

2 TB coconut flour
      1 egg, 2 whites
      1/2 c. blackberries, fresh or partially frozen
      1/2 tsp baking powder
      pinch of salt
      few drops of liquid stevia, or other sweetener of your choice
      3 TB water, milk or non-dairy milk
      sigpic
      www.pantrybites.com
      Real Good Primal Food

Comment

I have used the recipe from Bruce Fife's cookbook rather than the PB one (which seems to have more liquid, less egg ratio) which I loved. I think it makes a big difference what brand of coconut flour is used. I used Bob's Red Mill which is ground quite fine, but very dry as indicated above. Also, the batter needs to rest a bit to let the coconut flour absorb the liquids.

Comment

I thought they were pretty good. Maybe it's the word "pancakes" which in my mind is a nice stack of fluffy, thin 4" sized rounds. These ain't them. Perhaps "pan cakes" would be more accurate? I didn't eat them like traditional pancakes either but rather as a hand-held bready thing which was pretty tasty with some butter and cinnamon or topped with homemade pear sauce on it.
          312/149/150

Comment

What specifically was wrong with them/didn't you like? It's be a whole lot easier to tell if you did something wrong, what to tweak, etc, if we knew what you didn't care for!

Comment

I didn't like the texture or the taste really. I bought the Tropical Traditions coconut flour and I used coconut oil for the oil. I cook with coconut oil all the time and drinking it in my coffee so don't think it was that. I actually fed the pancakes to the chickens. Didn't even try to pass them off on the kids. They usually are less than thrilled with my experimental cooking. lol I have Bruce Fife's book maybe I will give his a try.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of coconut flour..I know a lot of people love it here but I'm just not into the texture..I've tried all the tricks to make it more moist etc..I'm just not a fan. I'd rather just not have pancakes. Or have the real thing like once every few months or whatever.
                The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

This is the first time I have used straight coconut flour. I have a coconut flour blend, which is gluten free. I have made my blueberry muffins with that and they were fine. They did get kinda crumbly after the first day, but still tasted good. I will have to try some other recipes with the coconut flour and see what happens.

Comment

I too hated them (twice). Today I did an easy almond meal pancake. 3 eggs, 1c almond meal, 1/8 tsp. vanilla, 1/8 tsp cinnamon. mixit & drop em on the griddle. I added frozen (still) blueberries once on the griddle. After flipping, add a little butter to the top & thats it. I like these way better than the cakey coconut ones. They are a little dry thought but thats what the butters for. BTW dont the side of bacon or some salty protien.
                    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

They're cakey? I was wondering about that. If they at all mimic traditional pancakes, then I figured I wouldn't like them anyway. It was always the really hearty whole multigrain type pancakes I liked.

Comment

There is a reason people like wheat so much. as primalists we must make conssesions to satiate. So dry gritty pancakes for me. no more fresh ground wheat berries on a saturday morning.
                        "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

Originally posted by Chairdr View Post
                          There is a reason people like wheat so much. as primalists we must make conssesions to satiate. So dry gritty pancakes for me. no more fresh ground wheat berries on a saturday morning.
                          I'm just not into it. I'd rather not have pancakes at all, and eat something that tastes good, rather than dry gritty throat choking crap.
                          The more I see the less I know for sure.
                          -John Lennon

Comment

I made them last month and they weren't great. I'll try to let the batter rest for longer tomorrow morning. I found they had to be soaked in butter and (real) maple syrup and fruit to be edible, though the baby loved them and she won't eat wheat flour pancakes. We only have pancakes once a month so I am not sweating the maple syrup, either. Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                              I'm just not into it. I'd rather not have pancakes at all, and eat something that tastes good, rather than dry gritty throat choking crap.
                              Hmmm, mine were neither dry & gritty nor throat choking. Maybe the batter was too thick when you cooked them? Mine reminded me of thin cornbread cakes without the gritty crunch of cornmeal. I use almond flour for that. LOL

I understand what you're saying though. Some foods just aren't going to cut it with your palate. I remember when I was on Atkins and so many were enamored with MIMs (flaxmeal muffins). I tried one and it was like, shoot me now...it would certainly be less painful than eating this hockey puck.
                              312/149/150

Comment

Working...
                              X