Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buckwheat crepes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • buckwheat crepes

    I've just been looking at the recipe for buckwheat crepe on Stephan's "Who;e Health Source" and it looks great. If it isn't a grain, has no gluten, and the phytic acid can be removed, surely eating this once in a blue moon would be OK? Has anyone tried these?

  • #2
    I want to try these as i need a carb source to vary my diet. Cant have too many potatoes of both kind due to gut problems, and oxalate concerns. So i want to make these for breakfast occasionally and bread substitute. I can only seem to get acces too buckwheat kernels, are these the same as buckwheat groats, anyone know?

    Comment


    • #3
      AFAIK, they are the same. I've only ever used buckwheat groats after I've soaked them overnight and then rinsed them really well.
      Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for your reply, i had flour but you cant do the rinsing part of it which i read is crucial so i need to start from the very beginning. I will try the kernels and follow chris kessers receipe. Thanks!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by zizou View Post
          Thanks for your reply, i had flour but you cant do the rinsing part of it which i read is crucial so i need to start from the very beginning. I will try the kernels and follow chris kessers receipe. Thanks!
          You could soak the flour in either yogurt or kefir overnight to do the phytic acid removal bit, then proceed with the recipe. I much prefer the idea of that to mushing soaked groats in a processor!

          Comment


          • #6
            Nutrition data profile of buckwheat

            Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Buckwheat flour, whole-groat

            Just look at all of those B vitamins and minerals!! MUST cook those crepes....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
              Nutrition data profile of buckwheat

              Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Buckwheat flour, whole-groat

              Just look at all of those B vitamins and minerals!! MUST cook those crepes....


              You shouldn't eat buckwheat due to the lectin content

              Comment


              • #8
                I ended up finding some organic buckwheat groats at my local market. Went for it and bought a kilo. Did the receipe as per stepfans website, and just by doing all that i could see how necessary all the processing is as you extract alot of slimy and foamy/cloudy water out of it and give the groats a good rinse. I just feel like i am making it more edible and nutritious just by seeing what comes out. Got the batter fermenting at the minute, look forward to the crepes and will make it time to time. I like the nutritional profile, magnesium and whatnot.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by paul900 View Post
                  You shouldn't eat buckwheat due to the lectin content
                  I've googled lectins as a result of your post and everything I've read confirms your viewpoint! Seems that Chris Kresser and Stephan Guyenet will eat fermented buckwheat, but overall, I have to say you have persuaded me that it is best to ignore lectin conatining foods where possible.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by zizou View Post
                    I want to try these as i need a carb source to vary my diet. Cant have too many potatoes of both kind due to gut problems, and oxalate concerns. So i want to make these for breakfast occasionally and bread substitute. I can only seem to get acces too buckwheat kernels, are these the same as buckwheat groats, anyone know?
                    My apologies for barging in like this, but have you considered fruit? I don't know how limited your ability to consume potatoes is (or your tolerance for fructose), but you might want to consider adding in some more fruit. Bananas have quite a bit of carbs, as do pomegranates, and even apples, kiwis, and oranges provide a decent amount (~15g/fruit). It's not exactly a ton, but with other primal sources of starch and sugar (including veggies), it should get you close to the 100-150g range.

                    Parsnips are another option into which you might want to look.
                    See my progress at Cocoa's Corner.

                    Or check out my journal thread here.

                    If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CocoaNut View Post
                      My apologies for barging in like this, but have you considered fruit? I don't know how limited your ability to consume potatoes is (or your tolerance for fructose), but you might want to consider adding in some more fruit. Bananas have quite a bit of carbs, as do pomegranates, and even apples, kiwis, and oranges provide a decent amount (~15g/fruit). It's not exactly a ton, but with other primal sources of starch and sugar (including veggies), it should get you close to the 100-150g range.

                      Parsnips are another option into which you might want to look.
                      Came in here to post about my end result, but i'll reply to you first

                      Unfortunately, i don't react well with fructose, read fructose malabsorption, so once again unfortunately, i can't dig into the fruits as much as i'd like to. Ideally i'd thrive off meat,fat and fruits with root veggies aswell.

                      The good news however is, i have been seeing impressive tolerance to sweet potato, with the purplish skin but white flesh. It is definitly less sweet i feel, and mroe starchy. They actually taste like chestnut... i had bout 3 yesterday cooked in open fire charcoal in it's own skin, one word on the taste, unbelievable. Believe me i'm getting sick of pumpkin and parnips, even though they are so nice and tasty, but little variety doesn't hurt. Thanks for your input though

                      Now onto the buckwheat pancakes, well tbh they have come out a success. The thing i loved most about it, is that it tastes like sourdough buckwheat. I like the taste of buckwheat, and to have the sourdoughy after taste is a mix to enjoy. I think i've found my 'pita bread' replacement, as i didn't really feel like i was eating a pancake, which is good. Didn't add anything to batter other then the blended buckwheat groats, water and salt.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Lots of foods contain lectins. A short list of the "worst offenders" includes eggs, nightshades, beans, nuts, cereal grains, and dairy. If you're really worried about lectins, then you should be looking to eliminate those as well.

                        But: this is part of why you soak and cook the buckwheat. Otherwise, yes, it would not be very good for you.

                        We have buckwheat pancakes once a week. I soak them in yogurt for a minimum of 12 hours. We have no digestive issues when we eat them, and they're damn tasty; can't say the same for anything wheat-based anymore, which seems to stop me up like quick-setting concrete.

                        Now, as much as I love these, I wouldn't want to eat them more than once a week. They're high carb and they're a lot of calories for little nutritional return on the investment. If I were a more active person looking to ramp up my carbs, though, I could see how they could be a great food source to add to my diet.

                        I think this recipe is much improved from the original:
                        http://chriskresser.com/sourdough-bu...-even-fluffier

                        If you're asking "is it primal?" the answer is -- probably not really. I make it part of my 20%, though, and I would take it over a wheat pancake any day.
                        Steph
                        My Primal Meanderings

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by zizou View Post
                          Came in here to post about my end result, but i'll reply to you first

                          Unfortunately, i don't react well with fructose, read fructose malabsorption, so once again unfortunately, i can't dig into the fruits as much as i'd like to. Ideally i'd thrive off meat,fat and fruits with root veggies aswell.

                          The good news however is, i have been seeing impressive tolerance to sweet potato, with the purplish skin but white flesh. It is definitly less sweet i feel, and mroe starchy. They actually taste like chestnut... i had bout 3 yesterday cooked in open fire charcoal in it's own skin, one word on the taste, unbelievable. Believe me i'm getting sick of pumpkin and parnips, even though they are so nice and tasty, but little variety doesn't hurt. Thanks for your input though

                          Now onto the buckwheat pancakes, well tbh they have come out a success. The thing i loved most about it, is that it tastes like sourdough buckwheat. I like the taste of buckwheat, and to have the sourdoughy after taste is a mix to enjoy. I think i've found my 'pita bread' replacement, as i didn't really feel like i was eating a pancake, which is good. Didn't add anything to batter other then the blended buckwheat groats, water and salt.
                          I figured you'd probably have thought of those before, but I thought I'd take a chance, just in case.

                          I'm glad you found some stuff that you can eat without issue.

                          Originally posted by onalark View Post
                          Lots of foods contain lectins. A short list of the "worst offenders" includes eggs, nightshades, beans, nuts, cereal grains, and dairy. If you're really worried about lectins, then you should be looking to eliminate those as well.
                          Grain-fed dairy and eggs, you mean? Always remember that what goes into your food also comes out of it and studies tend to be done with grain-fed animal products. I'm sure that there are some levels of lectins in grass-fed dairy and eggs, but I seriously doubt it comes anywhere near the danger zone of lectins.
                          See my progress at Cocoa's Corner.

                          Or check out my journal thread here.

                          If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CocoaNut View Post
                            Grain-fed dairy and eggs, you mean? Always remember that what goes into your food also comes out of it and studies tend to be done with grain-fed animal products. I'm sure that there are some levels of lectins in grass-fed dairy and eggs, but I seriously doubt it comes anywhere near the danger zone of lectins.
                            Dunno. Mark doesn't specify. I can't assume either way.

                            Nearly EVERYTHING contains lectins. You should evaluate how a food makes you feel based on your consumption of it, not on a data point that may or may not apply to you.

                            I also can't find a chart of lectin levels, despite employing my googlefu. If anyone has that list (Mark's article has a link to an abstract, but it's by no means a conclusive or exhaustive list), it'd be great to see it. All that said: what I have found indicates that lectins are reduced by soaking, fermentation, and cooking. Which is exactly what you're doing with the buckwheat when you soak it in chlorine-free water or yogurt.
                            Steph
                            My Primal Meanderings

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by onalark View Post
                              [url=http://www.marksdailyapple.com/lectins/#axzz29KlK6hGm]

                              We have buckwheat pancakes once a week. I soak them in yogurt for a minimum of 12 hours. We have no digestive issues when we eat them, and they're damn tasty; can't say the same for anything wheat-based anymore, which seems to stop me up like quick-setting concrete.


                              I think this recipe is much improved from the original:
                              http://chriskresser.com/sourdough-bu...-even-fluffier

                              If you're asking "is it primal?" the answer is -- probably not really. I make it part of my 20%, though, and I would take it over a wheat pancake any day.
                              Do you soak whole buckwheat groats, or do you use flour to soak in the yogurt?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X